News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Karsten's Console Build

Started by karsthotep, Jul 16, 2009, 11:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

type 83

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 16, 2010, 10:27 am
Quote from: type 83 on Aug 16, 2010, 09:05 am

:( Most of my console is going to be everyday stuff. But it is going to be mostly limited to brass and wooden items.

And indeed, there is nothing wrong with everyday items - I was referring to the fact that the design crew on doctor who seem to want to cram something in everywhere. Thats something different entirely.

True, someone took pictures of 10's console and put them on Flikr.
There were binoculars on there... on their side... WTF?

I do like the Smith console though. At 99% of the stuff on it actually do stuff.

galacticprobe

Aug 17, 2010, 01:07 am #91 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 01:13 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: type 83 on Aug 16, 2010, 09:20 pm

I do like the Smith console though. At 99% of the stuff on it actually do stuff.

The Matt Smith console is slowly growing on me, but so is jungle rot, so what do I know? (Only kidding there.) I think the biggest thing about the Smith console that I'm having trouble grasping is that, while 99% of the stuff actually does something - which I love - 99% of the controls are on the partitions between the panels rather than on the panels themselves, and those partitions are almost as wide as panels.

The previous console might have been overloaded with "stuff", but at lease it had distinguishable panels with most of its controls on them. (And its central column wasn't half obscured by some sort of covering.)

If they ever do another redesign of the series console, I hope they decide to go a little more towards the classic. (Karst, get a job on their design team; I think you've captured the real spirit of a console!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

exleo

I have to agree with people and say this is an excellent console design and build! It has a really strong looking chunkiness about it thast says that though the controls are nicely set out with space between them, it would be crammed full of Gallifreyan tech' inside.....Cant wait to see more ;D

type 83

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 17, 2010, 01:07 am

I think the biggest thing about the Smith console that I'm having trouble grasping is that, while 99% of the stuff actually does something - which I love - 99% of the controls are on the partitions between the panels rather than on the panels themselves, and those partitions are almost as wide as panels.

True, though I think they did that so you could see all the weird crazy wiring inside. And it actually kind of looks tidier.

the_temporal_mechanic

Karsten,
Good looking work going on here.  Great balance with the components and a lot of interesting stuff there man.  I really like the slider switches (second panel to the right of the telepathic borg circuits).  How did you get those cuts so accurate?  Did you do that with a router? 

Awesome job man.  Keep up the good work.

karsthotep

Well with all these comments you have boosted my ego to beyond anywhere that it should be, but with the increased size of my head from all the kind words I had some additional ideas for issues I was having with my console lighting.  I have now found the solution and will be implementing that on my panels    So thanks guys   More updates soon. 

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

Quote from: jarenelo on Aug 17, 2010, 02:56 pm
Karsten,
Good looking work going on here.  Great balance with the components and a lot of interesting stuff there man.  I really like the slider switches (second panel to the right of the telepathic borg circuits).  How did you get those cuts so accurate?  Did you do that with a router? 

Awesome job man.  Keep up the good work.

LOL...Ben,  thats just it, they are not accurately cut at all, its really a cheat.  basically what you do is this.

slide.jpg

its a cheat, but it works.  Problem it requires a lot of sanding and filling and I did it in hardboard. I know if you did it in thicker styrene sheet you could get it to look a lot cleaner.  I am going to redo mine.  Up close they are not so pretty.

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

the_temporal_mechanic

Thanks man.  Just the info I was looking for! lol....  I think they look pretty sharp sir.  Keep up the good work.

karsthotep

Quote from: jarenelo on Aug 18, 2010, 06:37 pm
Thanks man.  Just the info I was looking for! lol....  I think they look pretty sharp sir.  Keep up the good work.

No problem man, not my idea obviously but a good one, I got the tip from a guy who build a replica of the STAR TREK transporter room control from TOS. Brilliant in its simplicity really.  Are you going to use it for Ben-console MKII?

merc23

, i had been thinking about this and it looks awesome, oh and thanks now i know how to do levers and slides.

type_1012_tardis

Quote from: type 83 on Aug 17, 2010, 08:34 am
Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 17, 2010, 01:07 am

I think the biggest thing about the Smith console that I'm having trouble grasping is that, while 99% of the stuff actually does something - which I love - 99% of the controls are on the partitions between the panels rather than on the panels themselves, and those partitions are almost as wide as panels.

True, though I think they did that so you could see all the weird crazy wiring inside. And it actually kind of looks tidier.

AAAHHHHH!!!
SOMEONE WHO LIKES THE 2010 CONSOLE!!! SCREAM!!!

Anyways, this is coming along nicely.  I may borrow the plasma disk idea if I can find any for my definition of a good price.

Also, the neatness is great, but I also like the "thrown-together" look that the 2005 console and several here have.
As for the complaints about 'it-doesn't-look-quite-perfect,' it's alot better that mine in that regard (neat vs i-had-no-idea-what-i-was-doing)
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

merc23

really nice job so far,i think this is one of those we would like to see finished, (after all, who doesn't want to travel in time/space?)

karsthotep

Aug 20, 2010, 02:44 pm #102 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 01:47 pm by karsthotep
slowly but surely it will happen,  Family plans permitting I will be working on it on sunday,  I want to get the collar around the time rotor rebuilt to accomodate the wider panel edge covers so I think that is what I will be focusing on.

the_temporal_mechanic

Quote from: karsthotep on Aug 18, 2010, 06:41 pm
Quote from: jarenelo on Aug 18, 2010, 06:37 pm

No problem man, not my idea obviously but a good one, I got the tip from a guy who build a replica of the STAR TREK transporter room control from TOS. Brilliant in its simplicity really.  Are you going to use it for Ben-console MKII?

I just may.  I have not decided how my instrumentation is going to grow in.  You know me.  I will know it when the junk knows it.  It will tell me what to do when the time is right....

mrstimelord

i have a question: Did you make those levers yourself or did you buy them
how or where?
thanks!

btw, its looking good, ill probly have more questions later :)
(http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs373.snc4/45647_154311694580713_100000056517169_488375_308846_n.jpg)