Mar 29, 2024, 10:42 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Child Sized Tardis

Started by crt404, Apr 23, 2011, 02:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crt404

May 06, 2011, 01:06 pm #15 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:11 pm by Scarfwearer
Right then, probably the penultimate update, sorry it didn't happen sooner, but we've been at Center Parcs for a week (and yes I did worry about it getting 'nicked' whilst we were away!)

on with the update..

Ordered some black opaque plastic from sheetplastics.co.uk.  I realise that they won't light up, but as this is only for the kiddies, I was reluctant to plug this into the mains anyway!  The white lettering was done at home by myself, cut out on the wifes 'craft robo' (vinyl cutter).  If I wasn't going to do this part myself, it may have involved a trip to the local signwriters. p.s. The acrylic came cut to size.
IMG_0438.JPG
Made a small mock-up of the sign surround to make certain my routing and sawing was up to spec.
IMG_0439.JPG
A small amount of work and a lot of saw dust later... all glued and ready to go.
IMG_0440.JPG
Screwed in place and I'm starting to feel blinkin' proud!
IMG_0441.JPG
Okay, so I test drive the TARDIS to the far side of the garden, stopping half way to paint the grass and the wood blue.
IMG_0443.JPG
Having measured all the windows, I made some small adjustments with a saw and a file - these again were mainly cut to size by the plastics company above.  I also made a slight cheat here and used vinyl to create the window frames.  if this proves to discolour in a few months, I may change these for wood as this is the only compromise I've made so far.
IMG_0444.JPG
and here it is, almost complete.  I am trying to win a Yale lock auction on EBay at the moment, but I'm not willing to pay too much money, so here's hoping!
IMG_0454.JPG

Anyway, thats it until I can get to work to laminate a sign, create a sticker, and find a lantern for the top.

cheers for reading, Charlie.

rocket

Your kids must be stoked, that's a mighty fine Tardis indeed.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

drew30

i like it. great work you did there. excelent job indeed.

rasilon1

There is something about a bright blue Tardis with white windows that makes it. :) I don't know what it is, but once I installed the new windows in mine with white frames it just says,,,,,,,, HELLOW I'm HERE.........

action_mat

Great job.   :)And nice colour choice too.

drew30

very nice build. i also really like the color choice also.

willfleming

Looks Great..nice work
HUGE Doctor Who,GHI,GH and Torchwood fan

jaguwa68

Well done indeed! Nothing beats the pride of creating something yourself from scratch and feeling the joy it brings to your kids!

chinandler

Cant believe I missed this. I've had a go at a couple of these child size Tardis's too. Nice work! I like your signage! Have you installed a lamp yet? or lock?