Apr 25, 2024, 07:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tennant era

Started by lswl, Apr 01, 2011, 11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Ah yes, I know the stuff. Not exclusively on ships :)

I last saw it at a Ski Resort :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

ThisJustinOnline

I  thought I read somewhere that THIS console was 8 feet wide compared to the original 6 feet of the classic era

AtomsInTime

Apr 08, 2011, 10:03 am #17 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 04:58 pm by atomsintime
I've found another plan view of the console, I don't know if this is any more help:
nsTARDISconsolepanels.jpg

I added dimensions too (May be of some use):
screen-capture-2.png

AtomsInTime

(Original Diagram clearly from Purpleblancmange, thank you)

galacticprobe

Apr 08, 2011, 04:21 pm #18 Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011, 05:00 pm by galacticprobe
I doubt the console is 8 feet wide. That seems excessive, especially when you look at this behind the scenes photo from "Time Crash" (courtesy of the Official BBC Doctor Who web site, cropped and green-line-annotated by me):
07a.JPG

Unless Peter Davison, or David Tennant who is standing right next to the console, are nearly 8 feet tall, this console is closer to 6 feet wide. I also remember Purpleblancmange (whose diagrams are just above in the previous post) had said in one of his posts that the console was roughly 6 feet in diameter. (I just wish I could find his post. He's probably got something about it posted on his blog site.)

Also, this vid cap (very slightly distorted, I admit) from the Series 1 DVD set shows Ed Thomas giving a tour of the new console room set:
NewConsole(InnardsGlimpse01).JPG
Mr. Thomas is within arm's reach of the console, and right along side it. So unless he, too, is nearly 8 feet tall this console is more likely nearer the 6-foot diameter mark.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

invadrzim

I think i did 6 feet when i modeled the console but i could also see it being a bit bigger. There is frustratingly little information on the specifics of this console

ThisJustinOnline

Well the picture with David and Peter they are not actually at the side of the console, they are in front, probably a good foot away from the edge, both are closer to the camera than the console is.

I am not saying any for sures, I am not sure on either really, I just thought I read somewhere that it was bigger than the classic consoles and around 8 feet.

galacticprobe

Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 am #21 Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011, 06:48 am by galacticprobe
If you look at my photo above, you'll see that David Tennant's feet are closer to the console than Peter Davison's. In fact Davison is a lot farther away from the console; Tennant it practically right next to it so I doubt that the one foot or so he is away from it would seriously throw off the dimensions that much. And Ed Thomas is right along side the console in the other photo, and like I said not more than an arm's length away. Again looking at that photo I don't think one arm's length is enough to throw the dimensions of the console far enough off to make it look 8 feet in diameter.

Then there is this pic:
dw02tardisdalonejt0.jpg
It's not that large of a pic (and I really had to dig to find it), but it's big enough to see that Tennant is right next to the console and even without adding green measuring lines to it, it's very easy to see that the console isn't any wider than he is tall, and if it is it's not by more than a few inches, certainly not two full feet (and like I said earlier Tennant is not 8 feet tall).

I'm sorry, but an 8-foot console seems too large, and I haven't seen any scenes of the actors in the console room, working at the console, to give the impression that it is that large.

Also as I said earlier, I believe Purple mentioned that this console is six feet in diameter (and I really wish I could find his post or his comments on his blog site on that - you can never find a bloody something when you're looking for it!). It's not easy finding images of this console on the net where there are clear shots of Tennant or Eccleston standing in such positions that it's easy to see the size (like this one here), so if someone can find more, please have at it. Also if anyone is still in contact with Purple, or knows where to find his post or his comments on his blog site, please help find that info.

(Is anyone who has been to the Doctor Who Experience recently and seen this console in person a good judge of size? It would be nice to hear from some of them.)

Dino.
P. S. Atomsintime, with regards to your added dimensions in the diagram from Purple, what does the "m" stand for? It can't be meters because the thickness of the rim isn't .97 meters.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

AtomsInTime

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 amP. S. Atomsintime, with regards to your added dimensions in the diagram from Purple, what does the "m" stand for? It can't be meters because the thickness of the rim isn't .97 meters.

Oh, sorry, looking at it again, I think while I was doing it i completely missed the scale of the picture while adding the dimensions, apologies

AtomsInTime

ahildesigns

After looking through this post, I dug through my library of reference photos... only to find a great hi-res still of Tennant leaning right up against the console almost center.

Here's said still.
Doctor_Who_4x01_Still_024.jpg

Eyeballing it the image above, I'd say 6ft is probably correct. Thinking to further this side of the debate I've taken the liberty of bringing the image into photoshop.
help1.jpg

The green outline in the center of Tennant is the original selection I made. I copied it and moved it to the left to hit the deadest edge of the console that I could. Then I copied the selection again and spun it 90 degrees from the selection's center axis. I duplicated these horizontals several times and moved them about as you can see. Since Tennant is not exactly center (by camera angle or position) and the image has an incomplete side, I flipped the image and moved it to fill in the right side. The added side (shown desaturated for fairness) is just a guesstimate, but with that edge newly imagined-in and the horizontals offering Tennant's height against the console... I'm even more sold on 6ft rather than 8.

Hope that helps!

riftmaster

here is the image i posted about earlier in the topic : ngc8sy.jpg

superrichi1a

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 am
(Is anyone who has been to the Doctor Who Experience recently and seen this console in person a good judge of size? It would be nice to hear from some of them.)

Actually, I was thinking about that while I was there. I'm slightly under 6'1", so about the same height as Tennant. While I was there I was trying to work out how wide it was by standing as close as possible and measuring myself up to it. I guess this is pretty rough compared to other evidence on the thread, but at the time I came to the conclusion that it was slightly larger than me - perhaps 6 and a half feet, but I doubt 8.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Scarfwearer

The earlier consoles were certainly nearer to 8' - check the plans in the console reference section for details - the numbers there are estimates, but I think they're not far off the mark. I'm pretty sure Purple said the Tennant console was around 6' diameter, but I also can't find where he said that.

Crispin

galacticprobe

Apr 11, 2011, 02:26 pm #27 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 05:05 am by galacticprobe
The plans section confirms Purple's statement that the original Hartnell through Tom Baker console (before the complete overhauled console that first appeared in "The Invisible Enemy") was at its widest 7'8" (very close to 8 feet), and I found Purple's post on that one. But remember that console was hexagonal rather than round. The later Tom Baker console used from "Invisible" up to "The King's Demons", also according to the plans, was very close to that as well.

If you read Superrichi1A's post, and take into account the added thickness of the console's ribs as they extend out like in Riftmaster's photo (and photos of the actual console), then it's conceivable that 6.5 feet could be the console's max diameter (with just the circular part being 6 feet).

However, until we are given the "OK" by someone with the proper authority we won't have any plans (by definition) of the 2005 console posted in the Plans Section; we'll only have photos. But it should be safe to ask that if someone, who may have gotten hold of a copy of said plans, just post a number giving the diameter. (And send me a PM? I'm looking for just a few other "general dims" for various bits I could use that would help with scaling this console version down a bit so it would fit in my entertainment room, before the wife changes her mind about letting me have a console in there!)

I think that request still falls within the guidelines of "...we have been specifically requested by the copyright-holders not to publish detailed plans and dimensions for the 2005 and later props. Overall dimensions and drawings are OK." (Specifically the bit I highlighted in bold.)

Dino.

Kingpin

It's certainly interesting noting the differing studio approaches to prop replicas, some won't have any problem with it... some will request (and enforce) that no replicas or detailed plans are made... and then there are those who lie in the middleground.

Even if it wouldn't grant you the full diameter, getting the length measurement of one of the ribs would certainly help with sizing it, not to mention the diameter of the tube for the rotor.

galacticprobe

Apr 12, 2011, 03:29 pm #29 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 am by galacticprobe
In "THE TARDIS HANDBOOK" by Steve Tribe, it notes the diameter of the 1996 TV Movie console's rotor as being one foot. (For those who have the book, page 56, diagram in the bottom left corner.) The Tennant rotor looks to be not all that much different (taller, yes; wider, not so much).

I took one of the photos posted here from "Time Crash" that has the console viewed with four ribs showing (making one panel nearly centered, so it shows the rim at its widest) and enlarged it to where the rim measured 24cm on paper. Going by the assumption (I know: assumption; never assume, but that's all we've got to go on for now) of the rim being 6 feet in diameter - rim: not the ribs - it makes every 4cm = 1 foot: 4 X 6 = 24. Using that measure against the column diameter - just the column, not the small triangular vanes that extend from the very bottom and top - the column measures 4.5cm, which comes to 1'1.5" in diameter. (4cm=1 ft, 2cm=6 in, 1cm=3 in, .5cm=1.5 in)

For simplicity's sake, I'd go with the Tennant column being 1 foot in diameter - the same as the TV Movie's console - if the console's rim is 6 feet in diameter. That's the best I can figure until we get a definitive measure of the console's diameter. Will we ever get one? We may not. One never knows; do one? (Which brings me back to that age old question "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know.")

And these calculations make my brain hurt! :P

Dino.