Apr 24, 2024, 03:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door rails

Started by sgc1, Mar 24, 2011, 07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sgc1

Can any one help with door mid rail widths from outside of splay to outside of splay. sgc1

philipw

hmmm, which Tardis and I'm not sure I follow which dimension you want. I'll help if I can.

sgc1

Hi am building a Brachacki TARDIS  i have the style widths but not the rails. sgc1

kiwidoc

The usual received wisdom is that 3" is showing (so you need them slightly wider for the edge to back on behind corner posts and central dividers).   If you choose to put a bevel on the edge you'll need them to be slightly wider again before you cut that into them..

galacticprobe

Mar 26, 2011, 04:39 am #4 Last Edit: Mar 26, 2011, 04:39 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: kiwidoc on Mar 25, 2011, 09:35 pm
...If you choose to put a bevel on the edge you'll need them to be slightly wider again before you cut that into them..

Remember, the original Brachacki TARDIS prop didn't have bevels on its door stiles, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

philipw

Quote from: sgc1 on Mar 25, 2011, 07:49 pm
Hi am building a Brachacki TARDIS  i have the style widths but not the rails. sgc1

Can't help then. I have no idea.

sgc1

Thanks for the responses  .sgc1

Scarfwearer

The lespaceplie plans here may help: [ref topic=644]Hartnell plans available and ready for revision[/ref].

Crispin

geminitimelord

If going for a Hartnell box a couple mistakes I made that might help you...

Make sure your corner posts are correct thickness, due to the sizes of wood I used mine ended up about 5 3/4 but plans call for 6.5. Doesnt sound like much but in appearance I think my box would look a little better with the thicker posts.

Sign boxes, I think I overshot an inch making my box more Hudolinish on the sign boxes. At the time it was more for personal preference but now as I look at her I wish I had cut them back a bit to be more Hartnellish.

Personally I think the Hartnell box is one of the best looking boxes.

sgc1

Yes i have  gone for the same size corner post  due to timber sizes available .