Apr 18, 2024, 02:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Rocket's Tardis

Started by rocket, Mar 19, 2011, 06:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Well, I've got every single one on DVD, AND I'm a bass player, AND I'm only about four hours away, so I may have to gatecrash fellas! I won't bring the BARDIS though, it would be a pill to load on the ute ...  ;)

rasilon1

Excellent Pod, it looks like it's going to be a WHO of a party, Oh rite Rockets post yeah are I was going to ask what was your next build going to be Rocket but I think you have mention that. congratulations on your build by the way Rocket.

rocket

Jun 14, 2011, 12:35 pm #62 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2011, 12:36 pm by rocket
Well the lights finally turned up, so I was able to get the outside pretty much done. I still need to do some paint touch ups, but I'm getting there. Apologies for the poor picture quality, I can't find the charger for my camera so these were taken with my phone.

Lights off:
14062011015.jpg

Lights on:
14062011016.jpg

Also thought I'd show my anniversary present from the missus:
14062011018.jpg

The plan for the next few days is to get the interior of the doors finished, hopefully there'll be no more hold ups.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

rasilon1

WHAT......... an anniversary present, that's a fantastick present to get, I bet you got her just as good one.

Rassilons Rod

Really great present :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

rocket

Jun 29, 2011, 01:37 am #65 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 03:01 am by rocket
Been ages since I've had time to work on this, but finally got a chance to do a bit. It's pretty much finished now except I'm still waiting on the sparky to come back and put the lights behind my Pull to Open sign:

001-1.jpg

I had to take the top sign out to touch up the paint, so here's a picture of the LED lights:

TD29.jpg

The next job was to do something with the inside. I narrowed the doorway a bit to suit, which left a gap on each side on the inside:

TD30.jpg

So with a bit of corrugated iron and some black paint:

TD31.jpg

I'm not happy with the phone, but it'll only be there till I find a suitable replacement. I want a vintage style phone that actually works, at a reasonable price. They seem to attract stupid prices on ebay.

type55tardis

Jun 29, 2011, 06:08 am #66 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 06:23 am by type55tardis
Hi Rocket,
Just love those doors,well done !! I see your planning a Sidrat I hope we don`t end up in a race LoL ,I`m planning to build mine in 3 sections the left and right outer cheeks and the middle section so that it can be dismantled for storage , i intend using the grey racing stripes as the split points,so that should hide the joins,if you look at the cheveley plans from the war games DvD you will notice that only the front and rear panels of the Sidrat are rounded at the top and bottom ,but if you look at the hero model on the DvD it has rounded edges on the sides as well this is a bit of a dilemma as which one is right ?

Sid 1sid 1a.JPG  

Sid 2Sid 2a.JPG

By the way all the paint colours for a Sidrat,are standard agricultural Tractor paints and are still readily available today.
It took me a few hours on the internet to track them down,but Massey-Ferguson green and flambeau red are still available,also John Deere green is pretty well the same.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

rocket

I won't be building my Sidrat for a while yet, gotta let the bank balance recover from this one. Hopefully have it done by Christmas though. I was only planning to have the rounded edges at the front and rear, I think it looks rather good that way. Seeing that the Sidrat is basically a metal box, I'm thinking about doing mine with an RHS steel frame, with tin plate for the panels. Welded all together it should be pretty sturdy as well as being reasonably light weight. I was thinking about getting the whole thing powdercoated too. Just gotta work out the door, I'd like to have a remote that would activate a small motor to open the door.

type55tardis

Jun 29, 2011, 10:52 am #68 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 10:56 am by type55tardis
Hi Rocket,
Linear actuators should be good for that ,I`m planning on using them on the door opener for the console room and possibly the sidrat    www.firgelliauto.co.uk/        do a number of differrent types that should be ideal for this build ,they also do a remote control option as well ,I think you would need one at the top and one at the bottom to get the right balance. and guess what they've got a place in Australia  ;D
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

rasilon1

If you need Linear actuators let me know as I used two in Dalek Cann one for the remote opener and the other for the eye movement.

rocket

Will do, gonna be a while yet as my hand is still in no shape to be working on anything. Good news though, the sparky is FINALLY coming back next week to install the lights behind the Pull to Open sign and install a small light on top. I'll get some pictures one it's finished. In the mean time, here's the few through my doors:

View1-1.jpg

exleo

Quote from: rocket on Aug 12, 2011, 12:24 pm
In the mean time, here's the few through my doors:

View1-1.jpg

Blimey, when you moved house you really moved away......far away ;D

rocket

Yeah well they jacked the price waaaaayyyyy up for that view, but it was worth it.  ;)

type55tardis

Love the view from your doors,and if you extend the defence shield,the kids could have the greatest play area in the universe  ;D

galacticprobe

Aug 15, 2011, 04:52 am #74 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2011, 04:59 am by galacticprobe
A note on the SIDRAT's rounded corners for Type55tardis and Rocket: Which appeals to your eye most? I would say you can't go wrong either way. One version is from official blueprints, the other is what was seen on screen. (Also, which would be easier for your skill level? Me, personally: I'd have enough trouble with the blueprint version!)

Looking at the undisguised TARDIS shell from "War Games" it looks like they followed the blueprints and just rounded the front and rear corners, top and bottom, but that could just be my eyes playing yet more tricks on me. That seemed to be one of the few external differences between the TARDIS and the SIDRAT:
- SIDRAT, rounded on all corners, colorful paint with "racing stripes", a door that reaches almost all the way to the cabinet's top;
- TARDIS, rounded only on front/rear top and bottom edges, monotone grey cabinet, door height lower than that of a SIDRAT.

I guess since Chameleon Circuit technology hadn't been invented at the time of the SIDRAT the designers didn't think about camouflage and decided to give the thing some flashy coloring. (The SIDRAT had very limited capabilities, so why not make it look good?)

Just my trifocals' observations' worth, :)
Dino.

P. S. Rocket, from that view through your TARDIS doors it looks like you won't have any noisy neighbors to worry about! ;D
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"