Mar 29, 2024, 04:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Updating the TARDIS Builders Workshop Manual

Started by kiwidoc, Mar 14, 2011, 08:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Hi all, I've been re-writing the manual (last updated 2005!) and trying to think what new innovations to add/mention - which areas to go into more detail on etc and it occurred to me that you guys are the most knowledgeable folks to ask so what do you think?

Quick answers/ideas are fine.  Please note that not all suggestions may be acted upon.  Please also note that this might take a few months to do.  Please also note that the error about how to build corner posts (which is how I built me posts but I now freely acknowledge the fault) has already been corrected!

1) What sections need to be added?

2) What needs expanding?

3)  What areas of the build could use elaboration about the alternative options available?

* I still won't put blueprints in or lots of measurements, for copyright reasons.
** Pictures to illustrate alternative build techniques might be useful, I'll ask you for these and credit the owner/builder if that technique goes in.

Thanks, Glen

Rassilons Rod

Glen, give me a yell if you'd like some 3D doing to illustrate any build techniques :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

geminitimelord

what error in the corner posts???? is my box going to explode now?

superrichi1a

What about the sign box alternative I mentioned on another thread a while back, instead of wrapping the boxes aorung the 1/4 rounds, only placing the 1/4s below (and there is enough showing to make a difference), above the sign box?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

kiwidoc

Yup, that's a change I totally agree with and now implement on my builds - it simply never occurred to me 'back in the day'!   ::)

kiwidoc

Quote from: geminitimelord on Mar 14, 2011, 02:37 pm
what error in the corner posts???? is my box going to explode now?

:)   NO, no exploding likely.      I originally built (and described in the manual) the posts with 1 6" plank, 2 4" and a 3" - but this leaves a visible line on the outside edge where the 6" plank ends.   A year or two later it was shown that you can make a post with a 5" and three 4" planks where no seams show.   Obvious in hindsight!    Never really worried me since it was all painted up anyway but every improvement is worth pursuing.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Would you include Classic Series corner post construction (1/4 round trim versions) as well as New Series posts?

Also, I notice that most of the TARDIS props have casters under their bases - just barely visible when they're on hard, flat surfaces. You could cover which casters might work best for those who may need to roll their boxes into place, and possibly how to lock the casters so the box stays put.

Maybe touch on the 9th/10th Doctor's TARDIS lamp - how the thing was modified from a garden lantern into the lamp?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

If you need help with 2D illustrations or fonts for all the different signs, let me know.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

kiwidoc

Attaching a picture that might show i.   On the left is the manual illustration of how my posts were first made - a 6" plank across the front (with a 4" in front of it, with beading either side).  On the right is the new design with a 5" where the 6" was and the rest as 4" planks.   Total is still 17" of material but no seams visible.  I spent weeks getting my design figured out that first time and though I knew there would be seam I couldn't see anyway around it whereas once you've seen the other version you can't imagine why it wasn't obvious at the start.   :)

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Mar 14, 2011, 09:33 pm
Quote from: kiwidoc on Mar 14, 2011, 07:42 pm
Obvious in hindsight!

Is it? I'm lost now...

cornerpost construction comparison.jpg

kiwidoc

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 14, 2011, 11:45 pm
include Classic Series corner post construction (1/4 round trim versions) as well as New Series posts?

You could cover which casters might work best for those who may need to roll their boxes into place, and possibly how to lock the casters so the box stays put.

9th/10th Doctor's TARDIS lamp - how the thing was modified from a garden lantern into the lamp?

Good ideas, thanks Dino.
Thanks for the illustration offers guys - I might well ask you to come through on those.  I prefer photos where possible but some point might be better rendered on a computer for clarity.  Will be in touch.

geminitimelord

ahhh yes I see it now. Damn why didnt I think of that. And the way the thickness of the lumber is one side of my post is a little shorter than the other side, and like a moron I didnt put the two short sides together so all the way around I have a thin post and a thick post. I ended up using caulk to fill the gap on the post but wish I would have thought of this during construction.

Honestly there are days I really seriously think about doing it all over knowing I could do better the second time around. Only spending the time and money for such a project that really in the end only I would see the differences probably isnt productive.

Rassilons Rod

Ah yes, the version on the right is what I am familiar with... No wonder I was confused :D
Public Enema Number One.

Avadh

You could include sections on how to attach the corner posts to the base.

How to fix the walls in place.

How the signboxes would be assembled.

Basically what I am trying to say Glen is how to assemble/dissemble a flat packed tardis build and what type of fixings/bolts would be needed to put the tardis build together.

drew30

i think the manual is great. yous all have great ideas also. i can't wait to see the new updated manual. snow is starting to finally go away here so i can't wait to start my tardis build. altho i know mine is never gonna turn out half a good as what i have seen on here.