Apr 19, 2024, 11:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Model Tardis query

Started by meantimebob, Mar 12, 2011, 11:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

meantimebob

Ummm... can anyone throw any light on the provenance of the Tardis model halfway down the page on this site?

http://www.drwhoprops.com/props.php

DoctorWho8

It says there,it was the model used during most of Tom Baker's era and also in Castrovalva when the TARDIS is flying into Event One.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

meantimebob

I know what it says there. But, you see.. at the big Longleat celebration in 83 a model just like that was stolen from the special effects display tent. I was just wondering how many models there have been?

DoctorWho8

Maybe it got recovered?  I've not heard about that befoe.

meantimebob

Maybe it did, thats why I asked. I remember Matt Irvine was still extremely annoyed about the theft of it when I heard him speak at an event about 20 years ago. Shame Purple isn't still here, he'd know the answer.

DoctorWho8

You can ask him over at his blog.  Interestingly enough, he's going back over his time being involved in Doctor Who props and propmaking, so now would be an appropriate time to ask.

kiwidoc

I had to check it wasn't the Bonhams one for a few years ago, but clearly not:    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4516470.stm   though whilst Googling found an interesting thread from our yesteryear boards (ain't Google both amazing and scary?): http://tardisboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=26

- glen

meantimebob

I asked the owner of that site about it and he replied with:

"The minature TARDIS prop on my website belongs to Matt Irvine it was stolen from him in the 1980's which upset him greatly I'd very much like to find this prop to return it to it's rightful owner...The guy who stole it actually emaild my site and said "I stole this in 83" and sent me the images, I contacted Mat and he said it was ok to publish them, iv tried to contact the owner since but to no availe he said he is based in the states? But I think he is in this country"

So it is the model stolen from the Longleat Celebration but its whereabouts are a mystery. Any ideas anyone?

galacticprobe

Mar 14, 2011, 04:40 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011, 04:42 am by galacticprobe
Nation-wide man TARDIShunt? Don't laugh. You'd be surprised what you'll come up with if enough people keep their eyes and ears open. Thieves do like to brag, as evidenced by this thief e-mailing the web site and admitting to having stolen the model.

If this thief is still bragging about it, someone may learn about it and find out where this guy lives. Then if enough good people are on hand, they could "visit" this guy's place and "persuade" him to give back the model so it can be returned to Mr. Irvine. (Enough people might prevent him from trying to say 'no.')

My wife's grandfather had a statue stolen from his yard many years ago, and it was just such bragging that led my wife and I to the thieves' house a few months later. Recovering the statue was easy for us; it was outside and the thieves weren't home. So recoveries like this are possible if enough people keep a watchful eye.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

Quote from: meantimebob on Mar 14, 2011, 03:20 am
I asked the owner of that site about it and he replied with:

"The minature TARDIS prop on my website belongs to Matt Irvine it was stolen from him in the 1980's which upset him greatly I'd very much like to find this prop to return it to it's rightful owner...The guy who stole it actually emaild my site and said "I stole this in 83" and sent me the images, I contacted Mat and he said it was ok to publish them, iv tried to contact the owner since but to no availe he said he is based in the states? But I think he is in this country"

So it is the model stolen from the Longleat Celebration but its whereabouts are a mystery. Any ideas anyone?

If DoctorWhoProps made known the email address or username given it's possible that it could be traced back to a service provider or lccoation or possilby be googled to see where else the same user has popped up and build a profile that way.  ThHen again it might be  one-off gmail account which would be effectively untraceable.   You never know though...