Apr 24, 2024, 05:56 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Valrico Florida TARDIS project.

Started by john_christian_s, Mar 10, 2011, 05:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

john_christian_s

Mar 10, 2011, 05:49 pm Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011, 06:19 pm by john_christian_s
Hello! Although I have been utilizing this site for a bit, this is my first post.
I am building what can be considered a Tennant style TARDIS... sort of. I have been working on it since 14th of February 2011, and it is taking a very long time due to the technical difficulties of my particular build. The only major difference I have in my plan in relation to the boxes others have constructed is that I need to have mine disassemble able, because I will need to move it in and out of whatever location I am living, as I do not plan to live at my current location forever and I do not want to invest in something I cannot take with me wherever I decide to go. In the end I want my TARDIS to house my DVD and Music collections, like my own amazing entertainment cabinet. So my interior is just as important as the exterior in my particular construction. I keep thinking I may be off my rocker to be taking on this project... and for wanting a full-size TARDIS to add to my already alarming collection of odd things. I know I will be happy; that makes it all worth it as far as I am concerned. I love that my family supports all my crazy ventures, as this is clearly a prime (if not ultimate) example of just how crazy my ventures become.

So far this has been quite expensive for me (Being a Starbucks employee, we don't make a whole lot :() so I will be spending a little here and a little there over the long span of time (and space) it will take to finish this wondrous box. I believe, since I know myself well, the result of all this will be a spectacular creation worthy of the Doctor himself. I will be proud of it... and I will be the only person I know with their very own personal full-size TARDIS. I have been working for Weeks days and hours on designing my TARDIS, and I want an award for this when it is done: this design is so complex because it has to break-down easily, it is hurting my head!

there are a few things I am in need of for this project, and if anyone can help please send me a message! I need to get a hold of 1. A lantern (Preferably the Gardman Parisian Garden Lantern) and 2. the Wicks silver door handles. I have friends in England, but none of them are sympathetic to my desire for these items (Maybe I should re-think the term 'friends'), so I am sending a plea for help here on this forum... if anyone can help with those items I will be so grateful!

I tried to post pictures, but it didn't work... will post when I figure it out.

john_christian_s

TARDIS 04.jpg

With the four columns in the background (On the sawhorses and the ground) The base as it was coming to life.

john_christian_s

Mar 10, 2011, 06:18 pm #2 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 11:13 am by Scarfwearer
TARDIS 05.jpg
The 'top' view of one column.

TARDIS 06.jpg
The 'bottom' of one column showing the bit that will fit into the base.

TARDIS 07.JPG
The corner of my base.

TARDIS 10.jpg
My base mostly complete. This thing weighs a ton! I will have some serious muscle when this thing is finished. I have to move this monstrosity in and out of the garage every time I need to work on this project. Note the four square slots for the columns to fit into.

TARDIS 11.jpg
My motivation. I will make the words on this sticker true someday soon!

kiwidoc

the_temporal_mechanic

Nice build so far.  I don't think you're the only builder in Florida though.  It seems that we have another member that  has a build there I think.

john_christian_s

It would be cool if there was another builder in the state... The map on this site made me feel so alone.

lswl

I know what you mean, I feel that I'm one of the few Davros builders in the world,  :'( After a while that feeling goes, and you get awesome bragging rights!

DoctorWho8

Uncle Lew from Orlando is a fellow Floridian who built an 80's TARDIS look up his build on YouTube.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Uncle Lew has a gallery here too: [ref topic=460]My TARDIS Build video diary[/ref], but he hasn't been a member for a while.

Timefreak is also in Florida...
Also not everyone fills in their location.

Crispin

Avadh

A great start and good luck with the rest of the build.

metrosonus

Mar 11, 2011, 07:31 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 07:31 pm by metrosonus
hey you know what? I'm in apollo beach. Me and my son are in the process of trying to put together a K9.

geminitimelord

Mar 12, 2011, 06:48 am #11 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2011, 07:02 am by geminitimelord
Quote from: jarenelo on Mar 10, 2011, 09:05 pm
Nice build so far.  I don't think you're the only builder in Florida though.  It seems that we have another member that  has a build there I think.

You are correct Ben, He was on the old site as Moonbeam one or something. On You Tube he is Uncle Lew. He built a TYJ and entered it in an Art Fair at the Orlando Airport.

EDIT.... well I see several confirmed this, guess that is what I get for not visiting for a day.

john_christian_s

My Tardis 01.jpg
The lightbox (One of four).

My Tardis 02.jpg
Close-up of lightbox from behind.

My Tardis 03.jpg
Close-up of lightbox from front.

My Tardis 04.jpg
All pieces assembled so far.

My Tardis 05.jpg
Closer view of the top.

My Tardis 06.jpg
Close-up of the inside corner. All four corners are color-coded; this is the yellow corner.

My Tardis 07.jpg
Close-up of the inside corner at the top. The pieces need a slight trip to fit closer together, but it looks awesome so far. Next I will start on the pannels that will make up the walls.

DoctorFan

Looks nice- I can't wait to see it finished!

Ryan
Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey!

atomicgraph

This is lookin great! You really have nice clean lines and I notice your doing you lintel signs the way I did mine. If they are really snug they'll end up scraping the paint on the posts when you slide them in. Good luck it's lookin great so far