Apr 18, 2024, 11:51 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column - Want to make a real one?

Started by Rassilons Rod, Oct 22, 2007, 07:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanoid

Mar 11, 2008, 08:09 pm #30 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 01:31 pm by scarfwearer
This image shows no extended rod unless hidden by the flags and given that my original screen caps show the light tubes (which don't move?) in the same position?

[noimg]http://www.grahamgough.com/columnInards/tardis.jpg[/img]

This one shows the join?

[noimg]http://www.grahamgough.com/columnInards/15.jpg[/img]

It could be the distortion of the grabs from my first post but the taped seam in my original pics looks like a split to me, in addition to the seam? It does not appear in the first picture posted here where the light tubes appear to be in the same position.

Presumably the bolts holding the top on were transparent ones at first and then they became an obvious black?

Maybe they replaced the outer cover at some point fairly early on?

I hope I am not asking questions that have already been answered?

I don't know who owns these pics so apologies for no reference and I'll take them down if the owner minds! 

Graham

celation

Mar 13, 2008, 11:59 pm #31 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 01:31 pm by scarfwearer
I'd also point out (as you may already realise) that the top flags are each made up of four right-angled triangles of plastic - two black and two white. The original set-up had the black ones on the inside top and bottom, and the white on the outside top and bottom.
There's a small gap between the upper and lower triangles on each side, which results in that strange offset look that they have. I imagine they were made out of sheet styrene.

As the console rotates, the black triangles appear to flip from the inner top to the inner bottom, as we're seeing the two different sides.

There seems to be a general theme of black to white and vice versa on this console's column. The six "rulers" with the square mirrors attached seem to be black on one side, and white on the other.

I'll post up some pictures when I sort out uploading. I've got a build in its *very* early stages. And I can tell you - that acrylic rod's a bit pricey! :)

celation

Mar 16, 2008, 02:17 pm #32 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 01:32 pm by scarfwearer
Another couple of items of research...

The pilot episode gives a few useful clues to the construction of the final column. The pilot episode column looks somewhat anaemic, as it's missing any of the black and white detailing, which must have been added before the second version of Unearthly Child was made. In place of the two flags at the top are two clear pieces of acrylic. This leads me to believe that the black and white triangles were added on the outside of this to give the final look - making a kind of styrene/acrylic/styrene sandwich.

The "mesh" area which has been confusing me for some time is also just visible, but without the three attached rulers. The meshwork itself isn't visible, but what is apparent is a piece of clear acrylic spanning the area taken by the three rulers. From looking at other reference, it seems that the black and white rulers were sandwiched (again) either side of this acrylic sheet, which is itself scored with a cross-hatch design. It may be that the sheet was used originally to stabilise the ring structure of the central column.

Incidentally, in contrast with what Marc has posted, I'm beginning to feel that the two inner rings aren't actually made from cut flat acrylic (as is the outer one), but from bent circular rods; i.e. they're circular in cross section (a torus) rather than rectangular. If anyone can provide an image to contradict or support this, I'd be very grateful.

Really got to get this image hosting sorted... :)

C.

DoctorWho8

Mar 17, 2008, 01:37 am #33 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 01:32 pm by scarfwearer
I noticed watching Seeds of Doom, that said one of the B&W triangles was flipped upside down, with black on top and white on the bottom.  So it seems they were removable (or came loose).
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

celation

Mar 17, 2008, 09:35 am #34 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 01:32 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Bill.

Yes - this happens some time before Web Planet. At some point the internal mirrors which were symmetrical at first become flipped on one side. This all brings me to believe that the flags/mirrors were on rods stuck into each side of the central rod, rather than a single rod threaded through. Still not sure, though! :)

Well, I've bitten the bullet and gone for circular cross-section rods for the two inner rings, and I successfully bent two 8mm rods into rings last night. I also unsuccessfully bent another into an interesting U shape with a nice bubbly texture where it got too close to the flame in the oven.  ::)

Hopefully pictures soon...

C.