News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Dematerialization Circuit

Started by seanclarke1, May 10, 2012, 02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

seanclarke1

May 10, 2012, 02:23 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 09:09 pm by Scarfwearer
dc1.JPG

Above is the completed dematerialization circuit.  It is slightly bigger than the original due to building it from what I could find.  I have also altered the design slightly by fixing the wires into holes drilled in the green discs.  50mm diameter grinding wheels were used and the diameter of the inner tubes is 15mm.

dc2.JPG

The centre of the circuit is a four sided dice as used in role-playing games such as 'Dungeons and Dragons'.  I glued a plastic tube to each surface using Araldite.  This allowed me to get the angles.  Once the plastic tubes were attached I used my Dremel with an engraving bit to remove the dice corners and applied more Araldite to round off the finish.

dc3.JPG

The pink plastic discs are the same as the green ones except of course for the colour.  The were decorative elements on a spotlight range.  I only had four of each colour.

The wire has a chrome finish and was thick so the coils were less accurate and pushed the clear beads from their original positions in some cases.

dc4.JPG

Above the hand hold shot to help give scale.  This is not precision engineered but I hope is a decent attempt at the prop.

Best regards,
Sean Clarke.

museumdave

That is fantastic!  Nice level of detail.  It turned out really well.

just one question;  what will you roll now to determin the arrow damage?

cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

seanclarke1

Thanks Museumdave,

Such a complement from someone who is doing excellent console work means a lot.

I had to think about the arrow damage joke as its been decades since I played any role-playing games.

Best regards,
Sean.

celation

Really nice job, Sean.

I've been thinking about doing one of these myself - and I seriously considered using the dice for the centre piece. I suppose an d8 would have worked too.

What sort of wire did you use?

C.

seanclarke1

Hello Celation,

The wire is almost 2mm in diameter and has a chrome finish.

I'm afraid I can't tell you where to get some as I got it from a low voltage light fitting which used G4 halogen lamps.  Such low voltage fittings use the decorative wire as a conductor.

Being thicker it took more effort to coil it round a screwdriver shaft.  There were a number of rejects and I was concerned that I would run out of the stuff before I got enough right.

I'm now concerned that posting this prop will distract you from your excellent console build.

Best regards,
Sean.

the mister

That's so cool! very professional. spot on