New, New TardisBuilders!

K9

Started by chriskingbees, Feb 17, 2011, 06:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

K9
Feb 17, 2011, 06:00 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:55 am by Scarfwearer
Hello everybody
Yes, I'm still alive :) if not in the best of health. Recurring mega-migraines :( and, sadly, my hearing has deteriorated further. What's that, Crispin? Speak up man :) Our beloved leader is very softly spoken, as some of you will know. Anyway, K9

I've had the body and head shell for about four years and have never gotten around to starting the project. It has an excellent pedigree, being from a mould taken off a TPE K9, and therefore designed by our good friend, the mighty Purple :)

shell1small.JPG

Today I started the aesthetics, by making the logo and side panel:

Logo 1.JPG Logo 2.JPG

Tried out the handle on the front,not sure about the second one yet

Handle.JPG

Rigged up a base for the head and attached a 1 x1 lath to give me my first "Stackshot". That's Dalek terminology, for those who don't know :)

K9 1.JPG K9 2.JPG

Working at my son's flat tomorrow and Daleking Saturday, so that's it for now, but at last I've made a start :)

KB

geminitimelord

Chris,

I hope you are feeling well. I just spoke to Jon today and he told me you were having some troubles with the hearing.

On the K-9, that is quite a nice looking puppy! He should fit in nicely along with the Met Box(TARDIS) and your Daleks.

Teletran

I've always thought that square thing on his side was screen but I don't think they ever did anything with it on the show. Has anyone ever thought of putting a flat screen in there?
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

slidin_sidewayz

You mean like this? 8 inch DVD player than has USB and TV input. I plan to show a modified clip of some impressive graphics that were made by someone much cleverer than I. :-P
180162_497513902022_518622022_6551281_2017579_n.jpg
You'll have to excuse the bent base. It got a little damp and MDF is rather shite.
::)

exleo

Quote from: Teletran on Feb 18, 2011, 07:09 am
I've always thought that square thing on his side was screen but I don't think they ever did anything with it on the show. Has anyone ever thought of putting a flat screen in there?

In K9s very first appearance in 'The Invisible Enemy' The screen was used and showed Cardiogram readings as he monitored The Doctor at the Bi-Al Hospital.... Since the Prop returned in The Sarah Jane Adventures it too has been fitted with a flat screen display for use..... ;D

chriskingbees

Yeah, the deafness is worse, Scott, but I just have to get on with. Thanks.

Just a small update, I've made the box for the computer panel on the ol' dog's back;

Control Panel 1.JPG

Control Panel 2.JPG

The plans I am working with from Whoprops differ from each other.The main plans, Lescapile, don't have the dimensions of the Panel, side screen, etc so I'm guessing a little here and there :)

KB

action_mat

This is looking really great so far.  Very solid looking.  Are you going to motorise it?

Sorry about your hearing :(

pod

Hey Chris, great to see you're making a start on this project - I remember meeting K9 well when he was a mere two square grey boxes in the shed! I notice you've also cracked on with those Sevans Daleks! Sorry to hear about the hearing mate, I hope you're feeling better otherwise. I'll be watching the K9 project with great interest!
Cheers from your old mate Ian  :)

chriskingbees

Just a quick update, the ol' dog now has a tail :)

tail.JPG

KB

chriskingbees

Hi all
Today, I've been fiddling about with the doggy's neck and have reached this stage

KBsK9.JPG

I feel I should point out, that this project is very low budget i.e. £0.00 as much as I can achieve. Apart from the initial layout for the body mould, about 4 years ago, I haven't really been able to spend much.
So, for the more pedantic, I fully realise certain aspects are inaccurate, wrong neck, wrong tail gaiter etc, but for the time being, anyway, I have to live with it :)

Many thanks

KB

kiwidoc

It is all looking great KB -  I started one about 4 years ago and you're way ahead of me too!   Was going to rush to finish because John Leeson was set to appear at a local convention type thing but it's been postponed because of the earthquake so no need to rush now  :)

timerotor

thats going to be FAB!!!
-don't worry about the neck and things like that, I#ve found that its an on-going thing where you adjust as and when you have time. You should enjoy it!
Great K9, catches the spirit of the thing brilliantly! Hopefully I will do one one day....
TimeRotor :)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

chriskingbees

Yes, they are a bit big, but they're are better than mine lol

Ears.JPG

simplysi

excellent work doc! saw this in the 'flesh' the other day and its a fantastic build. That mesh looks awesome doc, really sets it all off.
"I KNOW THAT OBJECT"

chriskingbees

Hi all

I have got a lot done over the last few days.
Sub-frame and chassis now installed. The subframe is screwed to the body all the way around and I've filled over the countersunk screwheads (Endless sanding), as usual. The base is now straight because of this. I have repostioned the ears, so they are now a little further apart.
Sadly I snapped his cheapo aerial tail, but a new Rover aerial is coming tomorrow, care of Si.
Also tomorrow, I am going to see a man about an RC unit that he promises will handle it :)

Cardboard visor.JPG

Cheers
KB