Screen grabs from Planet of Evil

Started by james791, Jan 17, 2011, 07:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

james791

Hi, thought it was worth adding a few screengrabs of this particular console, its always fascinated me as a kind of evolutionary step between the Pertwee console and the seasons 15-19 console. Bits of both are there if you look closely.POE1.png

james791

Jan 17, 2011, 07:11 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 07:11 pm by james791
POE2.png

james791

Jan 17, 2011, 07:11 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 07:12 pm by james791
POE3.png

james791

POE5.png

Look at the dust on this panel! any ideas what that black mark in the centre is from?

Rassilons Rod

OMG... I just noticed its still the same green as it always had been. It must have just got the white treatment after Season 14. :)

Hooray for DVD ;D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lespaceplie

Thanks for these captures. I'm pretty sure this is the one I want to build. I like all the transparent housings, chunky controls and hooded scanner (that was never used). Too bad this configuration only appeared in 2 stories.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: james791 on Jan 17, 2011, 07:13 pm
Look at the dust on this panel!

Dust? Tell me about it. It takes a good half an hour to 45mins to get a console looking even casually dusted. They're real dust-traps. Imagine dusting 10 mantlepieces without moving any of the knick-knacks... :)

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Jan 18, 2011, 04:11 am #8 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 04:21 am by warmcanofcoke
I wonder is there isn't some way to make static electricity work for you and repel the dust for you? I'm serious. Science can do some seriously cool stuff. Just add a Van de Graaff generator to you console and some sort of remote control. ... or get a mini vacuum cleaner...
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Teletran

Quote from: james791 on Jan 17, 2011, 07:13 pm
POE5.png

Look at the dust on this panel! any ideas what that black mark in the centre is from?

It might be to plug a hole where one of the silver handles was removed but as this panel was new this season that seems unlikely. It's probably just non-functional surface detailing, what they call Greebling, another example of this is the switches underneath which I believe are made of wood

Quote from: james791 on Jan 17, 2011, 07:10 pm
POE1.png

On a similar note the long panel with the rainbow detailing seen here above the black chocolate bar/ice cube tray thing seems to be translucent plastic with lights underneath, I always thought it was just a metal plate with a sticker on it!
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Elvis Gump

These are my favorite TARDIS roundel walls, especially for how the larger roundels begin to be so honeycomb like. Their one drawback though is they seem to be so poorly backlit! I don't what the material used was called in England, but in America we used to be able to get in my days in LA  huge, wide rolls of this opaque material we called Translume I guess would be the spelling of it. It was very versatile for lighting as we used to stretch it over huge canvas like frames to shoot both strobes and 'hot' quartz/tungsten lights through to create defuse lighting.

I wonder how much space was behind these sets though because I would have merely made wall flats painted white myself and bounced quartz lighting into them from above to create a much more even lighting effect. The uneven lighting that seems to fall off entirely on some roundels in the corner edge of one wall looks like that corner where the walls meet painted roundels must be near the back of another set wall or the wall of the studio. The lighting just falls off so abruptly that it looks like it was set up to appear evenly lit in a master shot of the whole set head-on from one perspective, forgetting that the camera would be moved off-axis to the left and destroy the evenly lit illusion.

I also wonder if the often more yellowish lights on the successive smaller roundel walls that replaced these were backlit with tungsten [3,200-3,400] while the studio lighting on the actors was filtered or balanced for daylight video [5,000-5,500]?

Teletran

Note the time rotor still has some green gels under the red.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

BeeblePete

Sep 28, 2011, 06:22 pm #13 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 06:49 pm by petertheta
This is my first real contribution to the site; hope it's useful!

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 17, 2011, 07:22 pm
... still the same green as it always had been. It must have just got the white treatment after Season 14.

Compared to the aluminium plates the paint is certainly more colourful but in all these grabs the console paint looks to me like the same warm grey used for the rest of the set.

-_vlc-2011-09-28-18h07m44s153.png

I suppose it's also possible that the studio lights or the camera controls may also be adding warm colour to the paint. Panels sloped in that way bounce the lights right back into the cameras so the safety grey would look reasonable while the aluminium panels act almost like mirrors. The highlights on them can be seen blooming out detail here and there.

A second point of interest in the grabs above and below: the ceiling trim controls. They seem to extend from the start of the second deep roundel flat to the far right of the set.

-_vlc-2011-09-28-18h06m34s217.png

Something else I noticed while making these screenshots was the bottom chartreuse trim on the time rotor. It doesn't appear to go all the way around as on top.

-_vlc-2011-09-28-18h13m39s120.png

I'd love to make my own copy of this console but I'd want to dream up some useful purposes for the controls!

- Pete