Apr 23, 2024, 10:48 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Type 52rD Console "Refurb"

Started by type_1012_tardis, Jan 13, 2011, 09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Ah... so I did. I guess that's what happens when you start getting old. The memory is the second thing to go.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type_1012_tardis

The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

type_1012_tardis

Well, so much for typing this on mah lappy (another microsoft-related system freeze).

Anyways, there were originally pictures to go with this update, but due to lack of iOS 4 support on this machine, they will be added in a later post  >:(

Well, on to the update:
       We now have a "base" that sits between the panels and the plinth.  This time to actual measurements.  More accurately, it is measured out, and we will be re-checking again tomorrow before we cut (measure twice, cut once).
       Also, just for fun, there is now an old Atari VCS/2600 on top of the TV in the "console workshop set", aka my basement.  Photo on request.  Still waiting on a video adapter that should arrive later in the week. *sigh*
       Also got the appletalk adapters for the old apple machines in the "workshop set", but still haven't found a suitable classic mac to go above the console.  Also waiting for the ebay auction to close on the localtalk/ethernet bridge to bridge said macs to this computer.

well, that's all for now,
end of line

type_1012_tardis

Apr 26, 2011, 12:29 am #18 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 12:41 am by type_1012_tardis
Well, finally got around to rebooting my lappy and transferring the photos from my iPod.

Sorry about the bad zoom support, again with the "iPod camera is basically a cell phone camera"

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

In addition, since i'm posting this as an update anyway:  i can't decide between a SE/30 or Performa 275.  Probably going to be forced to use a se/30 due to rarity of american model color classic 2 on ebay though.  It still doesn't stop me from looking.

1012 out,
end of line

EDIT:
        Just to clarify, the SE/30 and Performa 275/Color Classic II were some of the last macs in the "classic mac" line classification.  The Color Classic II was more powerful (and had a color screen), and more expandable (in theory), but also had a higher power draw and lower RAM limit, and weighed 3 pounds more(ish).

now really end of line

type_1012_tardis

Well, even more done today, and more to come in the next few weeks.
Measured several times before cutting, and then we used the planer (i think i'm naming it correctly?), and sanded down the sides a bit, since 4 of them had splinters still.

See for yourself:

IMG_0055.JPG

And for the column & interior cables (not cut yet):
IMG_0058.JPG

Well, from here on, updates will probably be once or twice a week, unless something important comes up.

type_1012 out,
end of line

type_1012_tardis

May 17, 2011, 10:57 pm #20 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:18 pm by type_1012_tardis
Hopefully i can get back to this soon, it has literally been sitting in the back room for the past 3 weeks or so....

At least i've been at work on the CG model of the room (since the console will sit in my basement, and eventually have greenscreen sheets around it).  Here's the most recent version:

The Outer Shell (old model that i haven't updated yet):
5.1.2 - Outter Shell.jpg

Inside the Shell (back panel reappears when double locked):
5.1.2 - Doors Open.jpg

Foyer-type space & view of console room:
5.1.2 - Inner Doors Open.jpg

The Console Room:
5.1.2 - Console Room.jpg
You can see the server room/master fault locater panel room to the left, Door to rest of TARDIS and old computer table to right.

Glimpse of Space Beneath:
5.1.2 - See Down Below.jpg

The Room Below:
5.1.2 - Underneath the Console Room.jpg
Down here will be various circuit panels, a vault door, and an auxiliary hatch to the engine room below.

end of line

EDIT:

Forgot pics of the ceiling & the Transmat:
5.1.2 - Cealing & Transmat.jpg

end of line

type_1012_tardis

May 25, 2011, 10:13 pm #21 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:19 pm by type_1012_tardis
First off, all new work in sketchup can be found here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php/index.php?topic=2846

Good news!  Some actual progress was made today!

Pics:
The Panel cap on the front left was added friday:

IMG_0111.JPG

The panel cap with the pink foam-ish stuff block is the front:

IMG_0113.JPG

And just in case anyone cares about what the "console workshop" set looks like at time of writing:
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

end of line

EDIT:
noted that the "portrait" photos don't stay flipped the right way once uploaded.  Sorry about that.

end of line

type_1012_tardis

Well!  It's been awhile here!
Got a lot of work done this past week-and-a-half, probably more than has been done the entire time is has been at school!

Got the panels cut and attached:
IMG_0147.JPG

But of coarse, there's always one that doesn't fit right:
IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

We have cut out a new one since these photos were taken.

And as for older photos (for the purposes of record-keeping):
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

And even older, this is the board with the original panel traced on it before it was cut:
IMG_0131.JPG

end of line

type_1012_tardis

Got the console back into the basement, with photos of it assembled before it was moved from school.  Will post soon, just need to get the video finished, so expect it by tomorrow.
Also of note, the panel structure only just barely fit down the basement steps... not gonna be bringing that up anytime soon.
Another video tour of the basement with the new console will be included.

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Whew!  Sorry the video took so long, has to bounce a few files between several different computers to get it converted to edit it.  I won't bore you with the details.  Also, the old photos are not as complete as i thought.... sorry.

Youtube video of console remat:

Also, it's nice to know that windows XP is even more unreliable and prone to crashing than i remember it.... meh....

Video tour of basement as-is-now to come, gotta re-shoot it tomorrow due to file corruption (again, XP).

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

And here's the video tour of the "workshop" set:

Will be putting up some proper photos of the console soon, just have other things first.
And sorry this took so long! Camcorder battery was dead... again.

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Well, i took some photos a few days ago and completely forgot to upload them....
Here they are, also of note is that each photo has one with flash, and a matching one without:

Front, flash:
P6191304.JPG

Front, no flash:
P6191305.JPG

Coordinate panel, flash:
P6191306.JPG

Coordinate Planel, no flash:
P6191307.JPG

"Time energy containment unit", flash:
P6191308.JPG

"TECU", no flash:
P6191309.JPG

Desk, flash:
P6191310.JPG

Desk, no flash:
P6191311.JPG

Desk w/ monitors on, no flash:
P6191312.JPG

Desk w/ monitors on, flash:
P6191313.JPG

The performa monitor is not on because, well, it's broken.  It still works, but the power button must be held in, and that gets old really fast.

Inside console planels (all with flash, inside can be seen normally but camera can't get enough light):
P6201314.JPG
P6201315.JPG
P6201316.JPG

Also, you can't see it in the photo, but the other speaker is behind the pink foam block and power splitter thing that i forgot the name of.  Also, there is a subwoofer in the plinth (cr@ppy one that you plug into sound minijack and plug speakers into).

type_1012_tardis

Well, upon getting back from my 4-week summer job at a camp, i brought with me an old fax machine that was being thrown out.  I figured it would be a nice addition to the console:

With & w/o surrounding lights on:

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

I discovered at one point that without the motors used to feed the paper through the fax connected, the control panel will read it as an infinite paper jam, and refuse to do anything.  You can also see the (recently cleaned) console innards here:

IMG_0225.JPG

PENGUIN!!!
IMG_0228.JPG

And the desk space, recently cluttered more due to my space available shrinking further:

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

I plan to put the electronic "guts" of the fax machine underneath the panel, though i need to find a 4P4C wall plate first....  The fax's little control panel will be more-or-less where it is now (just fixed down more permanently), as will the phone handset.  I also intend to place telepathic pads on either side of the handset, and probably also put several toggle switches and/or LEDs above the fax's control panel.  Then i still need a //c for the main panel... and a USB serial port for the penguin... and parts for two other panels....

End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Sep 23, 2011, 07:11 pm #28 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2011, 02:26 am by type_1012_tardis
Not much, mostly just a few small things that don't mean much now, but will be very helpful once i can get some cash to buy a bunch of switches, LEDs, and buttons with.

Firstly, i recently (meaning a week or three ago) bought a green compact fluorescent bulb and outlet adapter, to give the console innards a green glow.  It's just a temporary measure until i figure out how i'm going to build the time column, and is barely visible in digital photos anyway:
P9233446.JPG
P9233448.JPG

Also within that same time frame, my grandpa and i put a new power cable on an old monitor that one of my teachers found on the side of the road at the end of last school year.  Amazingly, it appears to work still, though i have no way to know for sure, given that i can't seem to ID the video connector:
P9233443.JPG
P9233444.JPG
I intend to hang it above the console (if it works) somewhat similar to the movie's screen (expect immobile).  It will have largely the same purpose as the tiny TV on the main panel, but sometimes shows a separate display.  This will replace the classic mac that i intended to put there, as long as it works.  Saves me an eBay search too.

As for the console instrumentation, i have not made any more progress, but did complete a cable today for using localtalk (phonenet) and a phone on the same cable.  It basically is a two-wire phone cable with a 120-ohm terminating resistor on one end, which is the end that connects to the localtalk box:
P9233441.JPG

The desk has become even more cluttered, in an effort to repair an old early-90's lappy, which was actually on the old version of this console for a time:
P9233442.JPG

The parts of the first console are still down there, just dismantled:
P9233445.JPG
P9233453.JPG

Not sure if anyone ever noticed these light diffuser panels.  They've been there for a while, though they haven't moved much so i wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.  They were supposed to be used to make a transmat pad, vaguely similar to the one from the five doctors, only with green lights instead of red.  No clue if or when that may happen though.
P9233452.JPG

End of Line

EDIT
well, after 2 failed attempts, i have resolved to try again later to upload the photos.  It keeps giving me an internal server error or something.

End of line
EDIT ][
trying the photo upload again, let's see if it works this time.

End of Line
Edit 3
somehow forgot the very last photo, here it is
End of Line

type_1012_tardis

Good news everyone! (ok i'll stop now)

A week or two ago i found an enhanced apple //e on ebay for $10.  The person failed to test the thing, or they would have likely gotten a lot more for it.  The unit works, and (after removing the beige part of the case - top cover was missing) installed the unit inside the console.  Also, a hole was cut in the front panel for the keyboard, which, after some tune-ups the keyboard fits into.  It is intentionally off-center and slightly too big in spots, as i want it to look both semi-professional and yet thrown-together at the same time.

PA173580.JPG

PA173581.JPG

And showing the temporary use of the scanner TV as the monitor...
PA173582.JPG

Also, it would seem that the old monitor thing mentioned in the last post is compatible with composite video.  A bit of messing with the brightness, contrast, and H hold (what that is?) and it works beautifully.  No photo of it in action as the video cable must be held properly by someone for a clear picture.  Also, it almost knocked over the VCR and surge protector on top of the TV whilest i was messing with it.

also, i have decided that various commands entered into the //e will use '.tardisapp' if they are programs.  For example: 'fault_locate.tardisapp' for hardware fault detection, 'syscheck.tardisapp' for the console's system check, 'applist.tardisapp' to list the most useful programs ending with '.tardisapp', and 'manualdemat.tardisapp' to set the coordinates through the command-line, just to name a few.

endofline.tardisapp