Mar 29, 2024, 10:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 20 console: components research

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Jan 08, 2011, 11:11 pm Last Edit: Jan 28, 2011, 08:40 am by Scarfwearer
This is speculation. Don't know if this is true or not. I didn't hear it anywhere, this is just from my own observations. Recently I was screen capturing Arc of infinity because I like the Season 20 Console (Actually I like both season 20 consoles, but right now lets talk Arc of infinity through to King's Demons)
I noticed there is this Gold object that actually appears on many of the Panels of the season 20 Tardis. I think it may have originally been used as some form of food packaging and some one in the props department said that'll make a nifty Tardis part. My question : If my speculation is true - has anyone seen these objects and what sort of cookie or biscuit do I have to buy in order to get a set?
124ArcofInfinity0002.jpg
124ArcofInfinity0017.jpg
Nate
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Scarfwearer

Those are stunningly clear captures! Are these from Blue-ray or DVD?
It also sheds some light (or resolution) on whether the extra stripes on the lever boxes are slots or decals. I still can't tell, though.

Season 20 was circa 1983 - alas I think the odds of the packaging for cookies remaining unchanged for nearly 30 years are very low. They do look like a cookie trays though.

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Jan 08, 2011, 11:31 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 11:52 pm by warmcanofcoke
DVD .... yeah it may be a long shot .... but then again someone might be munching from a tray of cookies and then reads this post and does a double take at the cookies and hopefully posts the answer -
I may just have to build this thing out of card and then make a mold and cast some resin copies or something. Though it kind of looks like the bottom of a strawberry tray from the super market... kind of....

Nate

ThisJustinOnline

Nice! I agree they look like food packaging for sure!

As for the slots, those are decals for sure crispin!

warmcanofcoke

Jan 08, 2011, 11:44 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 11:52 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jan 08, 2011, 11:24 pm
It also sheds some light (or resolution) on whether the extra stripes on the lever boxes are slots or decals. I still can't tell, though.

It is my belief the outer black lines are decals and the center line is the slot for the control to move back and forth. *- this is referring to that question someone had about taking pictures of the console as a kid at longleat and noticing the "extra slots" on the red knob door control, right?

Nate

meantimebob

Those stickers/decals are actually graphic tape which you used to be able to buy on very thin rolls, like sellotape. Maybe they still make it.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 09, 2011, 04:17 am #7 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011, 05:00 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: meantimebob on Jan 09, 2011, 02:53 am
....and yes they do. Here's an example:

http://www.suppliesnet.com/1_8x-324-black-opaque-pattern-tape.aspx

$4.38 per roll sounds fine
but
$11.37 Shipping? from Louisiana to New York?
kind of crazy

Edit* - on the other hand, hand-detailing the console might be problematic.

Dude this is a fantastic piece of information. Thank You =D

124ArcofInfinity0011.jpgBG12536.jpg

meantimebob

Hey, you're very welcome. If you do a more thorough search on the web you'll probably find a closer match to that pattern.

Incidentally that photo of the monitor there... the thing on the left of it, does anyone else think it was part of a pen set? It looks like the plastic box a papermate pen and pencil came in.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 09, 2011, 05:27 am #9 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011, 05:43 am by warmcanofcoke
here are better images
126MawdrynUndead0012.jpg
124ArcofInfinity0001.jpg
124ArcofInfinity0013.jpg

DoctorWho8

124ArcofInfinity0002.jpg

That black switch above the two silver toggles always interestme.  It appears to be spring loaded.  I say that because you see Peter's thumb pushing forward on it, then he flicks it forward, and the switch snaps to the down position.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

warmcanofcoke

Jan 09, 2011, 02:19 pm #11 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011, 02:19 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 09, 2011, 09:09 am
That black switch above the two silver toggles always interestme.  It appears to be spring loaded.  I say that because you see Peter's thumb pushing forward on it, then he flicks it forward, and the switch snaps to the down position.

It is true Bill. There are many types of Toggle Switches. such as: 2 position switches, 3 position switches, and "momentary contact" toggle switches.

Nate

lespaceplie

Speaking of this particular configuration of the console, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I suppose these could've been specially molded, but it seems likely that they're a ready-made something or other - especially when so many other components are odds and ends. I always liked these better than the plain rectangles they replaced. In some scenes it appears as though these are filled with an array of red LEDs, but it could simply be backlit textured plastic.

consolebit.jpg

Elvis Gump

I wish there were more interviews and documentation of how these various props being built with the people that made them, many of whom I assume are probably getting on up there in years. I wonder how much was design and how much was desperate scrounging for bits and bobbles to glue on.

I also wonder what they think of the scrutiny fans pay to it, mostly because I expect they likely never thought anyone, even fans would care so much about their work. The ephemeral mindset with which Doctor Who seemed to be produced with back in the day, that these were things to be watched a once and maybe with a rerun or two and then to be forgotten forever is very interesting because no one at the top ever seemed to anticipate home video would make them live forever.

DoctorWho8

E-mail Steve Roberts & 2entertain to see if they can do more prop-centric documentaries for future DVDs.