Reference Pictures: The Barry Newbery TARDIS (Original) (1976)

Started by peted, May 09, 2009, 04:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ionsith

I see... They do look a lot deeper to my eye though. Perhaps it's the angle and lighting? I know there were two TYJ hero props, but were both identical? I remember that the Hudolin box was based around the Brachaki prop because Segal didn't like the shallow look of the TYJ box.

DoctorWho8

The angle does mess with you, but if you look for any publicity stills from Black Orchid, you can see it's the Newbery.  The second 80's prop wasn't made until 1986.  And yes, the 1996 prop was a hybrid, however the plans they received were of the 1980's prop.  I know because I saw the plans at a convention in 1996 that were later auctioned off. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Also of note, is that during Logopolis, the lock changed from the right door to the left. But I think it was still using it's own doors at that point.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Correct Marc!  And it happened onscreen too.  In the very beginning, the left hand door had the center divider attached and the lock as on the right.  Then after that was filmed, they did some on-site changes, putting the lock on the left door and reattached the center divider to the right door.  Also, because the left door was fixed in a position like the walls, they had to cut it and add hinges to it so it could open!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ionsith

Just been looking at the updated plans for the Newbery and TYJ boxes from this lovely site :D. The visible width of a door on the Newbery prop was 17", but 17.5" on the TYJ prop. To add the doors from the TYJ to the Nebery would have meant some rebuilding surely? It just seems like a lot of work for the BBC! :D

I wish to just add that I am not doubting or nit-picking, just trying to understand why they just didn't use the Newbery prop as it was? Why bother switching doors? I can see on the still from Logopolis that the left wall does indeen look more TYJ.

Scarfwearer

Check out the prop history as researched by Anthony Sibley on the TARDIS Library: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/
There's some information about this there.
(specifically Prop 2: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/tv2.html)

Crispin

darren79

Just seen this shot on another forum of the abandoned second studio block for Shada.

As well as the console room, it shows the police box from the rear with a very definite hole.

wyROU.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Good Find!!! I wish there were more photos from on set like this.  :D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

davidnagel

I know its already here but thought I'd share this HQ one:
dr who tom baker 10.jpg
Regards
David

Volpone

If anyone wants to chase up the screencap, I just finished "Stones of Blood" and after collecting the 3rd Segment, when the Doctor pops into the TARDIS to leave, it is almost a straight-on side shot so it is clearly obvious that there's no "POLICE BOX" sign on the back. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jan 03, 2016, 07:14 am #101 Last Edit: Jan 03, 2016, 07:14 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: volpone on Jan 03, 2016, 05:17 am
...I just finished "Stones of Blood" and after collecting the 3rd Segment, when the Doctor pops into the TARDIS to leave, it is almost a straight-on side shot so it is clearly obvious that there's no "POLICE BOX" sign on the back.

I believe this is because the Newbery prop never had a "back wall". Even the plans for it show no back wall, and there was just a black cloth/curtain hanging over the opening, so there was no place to even hang a Top Sign on the back. (There's a thread around here about this somewhere, but because I'm looking for it to link to it, I can't find the bloody thing!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

A nice front on shot of the Phone Door.

Also nice for texture. Shame it's not full height...

dr who tom baker 10.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Feb 19, 2016, 06:00 pm #103 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2016, 06:11 pm by warmcanofcoke
I know Tom had suffered a lip injury during this story - but for some reason I hadn't realized he covered it up. For some reason I thought he was doing a Groucho Marx routine. I think I saw a shot of him on the console room set somewhere and the caption read Tom does his "Groucho Marx impression" or something like that - It may have been in a Doctor Who Magazine. After listening to the Actor's commentary I realize that's a plaster.
The Director's Dog did this trick where he would snatch sausages from his mouth upon command, and Tom tried it in the pub and the dog bit him. The stage makeup turned the wound septic.

article-2179137-1438E460000005DC-534_634x483_zpsjnxf6w0h.jpg
a45025dad1d478cb412f7028bc3d6f4e_zpszoc1jtrk.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Feb 20, 2016, 06:47 am #104 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 06:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Feb 19, 2016, 06:00 pm
The Director's Dog did this trick where he would snatch sausages from his mouth upon command, and Tom tried it in the pub and the dog bit him. The stage makeup turned the wound septic.

Very true. That's why in the next story they had the TARDIS take a funny turn, and the Doctor got himself a lip injury when he "banged" it on the console. That way they didn't have to cover up the dog bite, and it explained why the Doctor had that mark on his lip. (I believe when it happened, Romana scolded him over it.)

I think that was in one of those Doctor Who Magazines as well (or was it still Doctor Who Monthly - or Weekly - back then?).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"