Reference Pictures: The Barry Newbery TARDIS (Original) (1976)

Started by peted, May 09, 2009, 04:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 21, 2012, 10:22 amA behind-the-scenes pic from the studio sessions for Fang Rock.

The long shot of the TARDIS on top of the building in The Sunmakers show a black blanket taped to the back.  Also look for the promo shots of Tom and Mary Tamm in their Ribos Operation costumes, there is no back to the prop and you can see the street scene behind them.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on May 21, 2012, 05:54 pm
Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 21, 2012, 10:22 amA behind-the-scenes pic from the studio sessions for Fang Rock.

The long shot of the TARDIS on top of the building in The Sunmakers show a black blanket taped to the back.  Also look for the promo shots of Tom and Mary Tamm in their Ribos Operation costumes, there is no back to the prop and you can see the street scene behind them.

That too :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Actually, just go back to the first page of this thread and all the answers are already there in some form. ;)

kert gantry

Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 21, 2012, 02:38 pm
I reckon the white stuff on the pillars is form the quarry in destiny, but I still agree that it's from Nimon :)

Yes, definitely from Nimon. The background has been blanked out, but it's the TARDIS landing on Skonnos in ep. 2. I remember that pic from the cover of Doctor Who Weekly (as it was back then!).

darren79

It is absolutely from The Horns of Nimon. The black area has been added - normally it shows Skonnos arrival hall.  

eoKtv.jpg

I51kf.jpg

amachielson

Are the corner posts on the Newberry Tardis just beveled on the edges. I can't seem to see any detail that they have the traditional quarter round post.

DoctorWho8

I think they just have the corners knocked off with a small quarter round. I found this.
BARRY+JACKSON.jpg

I also found this for just a general reference.  You can see the two slats below the top sign.
MARY TAMM JULY 2012 TWO.jpg

kiwidoc

Nice pictures, very interesting.    What do I see behind tom's feet - is that concrete cobbles instead of a floor?

Kingpin

It's got an edge (see left of Tom's leg) and appears to be folded up against the side of the interior, looks more like paper than the ground of the yard it's in.

kiwidoc

galacticprobe

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jul 26, 2012, 09:06 pm
You can see the two slats below the top sign.

Bill, aren't those two slats below the top sign very similar to how they've built the New Series boxes? I seem to remember there was a discussion about that, but as usual now that I'm looking for it, I can't find that thread. :P

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Well, the NST's only have one solid slat, where as the Newbury uses two smaller slats.  Because the sign boxes protrude out farther than with other boxes (excluding the 1996 prop), the slats always seem to be in shadow.  I think most people thought the Newbury used only 1 slat because the NSTs shared some traits.  I think once people saw the shot from Androids of Tara after they leave the TARDIS, the underside of the sign box is lit up, allowing people to see the two slats for the first time.

silverfox

You can see the two slats under the sign boxes clearly in this picture.
This scene was also supposed to be at the back of the TARDIS in the programme but was obviously shot against one of the side walls as we've already established there was no back to the prop.

masquetardis.jpg

ionsith

Quote from: peted on May 09, 2009, 04:30 pm
This shot shows the TYJ doors and is great for showing off the texture. I think the prop looks at it's best here.
[noimg]http://razorcuts.webng.com/newbery/5th_doctor_publicity_still.jpg[/noimg]
5th_doctor_publicity_still.jpg

Are those the TYJ doors? The handles are in the right place, but the panels don't look shallow or beveled enough.

EDIT: trimmed the quote -- SW

DoctorWho8

Yes, when Peter Davison started, they refitted the doors for the Newbery prop with the wooden "master" doors from the TYJ model.  You can see the refitted box in Castrovalva and Black Orchid.  Then for some reason, a sign box was "borrowed" from the Newbery and put onto the front for Time Flight. They next season, the borrowed sign box was gone.