Season 13 - 20 Sharp Console Altered - Console Orientation

Started by timefreak, Jan 02, 2011, 12:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Jan 06, 2011, 01:32 am #15 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 03:25 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 06, 2011, 01:29 am
Psst, the numbers should go clockwise. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Maybe, but I don't want to do all that work over again lol ... It made a kind of sense when I did it

*as I think about it if you were to enter the console room you would read the panels left to right then the numbering makes sense.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2011, 01:57 am #16 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 01:59 am by galacticprobe
I noticed with your "Key to Time" series consoles you didn't list "The Ribos Operation" (first in the series). Were the panels in that story the same as any of the other "Key" stories?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jan 06, 2011, 03:22 am #17 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 06:07 pm by warmcanofcoke
I'm updating the list as we speak. The Key to Time season did keep the panels in the same place they just rotated the console from time to time.
Consolelayout4.jpg
No numbers = Not on DVD in US / I haven't dug the VHS out of the closet yet / it is on DVD in the US but I haven't re-watched it yet
Dark = "Sir Not Appearing in this film" / No console shots in this program

galacticprobe

Jan 06, 2011, 05:53 am #18 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 05:56 am by galacticprobe
I wish they would release "Shada" on DVD. Back in the early '90s they released a VHS version of all of the filming and studio taping work that had been completed for all six episodes, with an intro and "fill in the missing bits" narration by Tom Baker. (He was shown in what appeared to be a BBC props warehouse, or a small room with some props scattered about to make it feel that way.) Sadly I don't have a working VHS player or I'd offer to help you fill in the panels for that story (and finding any sort of VHS player these days isn't easy).

Just think of the added features they could put into the DVD release of that story: behind the scenes stuff, commentary on the parts that were filmed/taped, details of the scandalous strike that deprived us of what appeared, possibly, to have been a great story! (Or has the DVD been released already, and I just missed it?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

It was filmed at MOMI (the Museum Of the Moving Image). They had a pretty decent exhibition at the time, including the legendary "walk-in" dalek, which (if memory serves) was a butchered Shawcraft.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Teletran

um why?
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

warmcanofcoke

Jan 06, 2011, 12:46 pm #21 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 02:55 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 06, 2011, 05:53 am
Sadly I don't have a working VHS player or I'd offer to help you fill in the panels for that story (and finding any sort of VHS player these days isn't easy).

Dino.

I watched it a few days ago, there are no Tardis interior shots, not even reused footage. I don't think the Shada DVD has been released yet.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 06, 2011, 06:28 pm #22 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 06:31 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: Teletran on Jan 06, 2011, 08:39 am

um why?

If I recall correctly, I think the panels were numbered in the DWM article. But as it wasn't onscreen I suppose its not canon anyway.

But either way, I think that this is marvellous research and very nicely presented. As long as its consistent with itself, I think that's enough :)

I also just noticed that not once was it "1 2 3 4 5 6" :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 06, 2011, 07:42 pm #23 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 07:43 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jan 06, 2011, 06:28 pm
I also just noticed that not once was it "1 2 3 4 5 6" :D

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about that ....

exleo

Jan 06, 2011, 09:55 pm #24 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2011, 10:01 pm by exleo
Except in the Two Doctors, the last appearance of this console....
Surely the correct panel layout would be the one it had on it's very first appearance in this guise?

This Console first appeared in 'Planet of Evil' so we have to take that as the correct layout and work from there, renumbering the panels 1-6 in the correct order on that particular configuration...and take it from there ;D

warmcanofcoke

Jan 07, 2011, 12:37 am #25 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011, 02:50 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: exleo on Jan 06, 2011, 09:55 pm
This Console first appeared in 'Planet of Evil' so we have to take that as the correct layout and work from there, renumbering the panels 1-6 in the correct order on that particular configuration...and take it from there ;D

Go for it Dude! lawls.

warmcanofcoke

Jan 07, 2011, 02:50 am #26 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011, 02:51 am by warmcanofcoke
Consolelayout5.jpg

Done

DoctorWho8

I see you used the diagram from DWM, which also had the panels in the wrong order.  The way the console was typically laid out from Logopolis onwards for the most part was like so: Panel 1 was 1, Panel 6 was 2, Panel 4 was 3, Panel 5 was 4, Panel 3 was 5, and Panel 2 was 6.  Now the reason I go counter clockwise from Panel 1 stems from the Jon Pertwee story The Time Monster.  When the Doctor is thrown into the vortex, he tells Jo to go to control panel # 3.  That panel was two away from the panel he used with the 3 demat levers (which would make that Panel 1).  Now, you could argue that the T Baker/Davison console would be different.  But if we make the panel that was that eventually has the door control Panel 1, the anti-clockwise numbering system still works (for me anyway).  But I'll let this numbering system bantered about.

galacticprobe

Now I am officially dizzy.

Dino.

cobalt

Having the panels constantly swapped about like that does come in handy for prop-builders though, since it means that all six of the panels, at one time or another, get put on the side of the console that usually faces the camera.

It would be difficult to get the details, if they hadn't done that.