Apr 18, 2024, 02:57 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Main Space-time Element

Started by warmcanofcoke, Dec 19, 2010, 01:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Dec 19, 2010, 01:20 am Last Edit: Nov 10, 2016, 01:28 am by warmcanofcoke
(I hope I'm posting in the correct place)

One of my favorite 1980s Tardis parts in the Space-Time Element (I think I heard it called "Time-Space" Element on occasion, I'm sure the Black Guardian referred to it as "Space-time" ....) Does anyone know if their are any decent images of this prop? Or might know of plans that may have been printed somewhere?
I'm often surprised at the level of information that is available on this forum, and I thought I'd ask.

This prop was in "Arc of Infinity" and "Terminus" .... It may have been in another story but I'm drawing a blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2010, 07:11 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010, 07:14 am by galacticprobe
It was definitely called the "Space-Time Element" in "Arc of Infinity", and as Maxil (a.k.a. Colin Baker) held it in that one close-up scene, it looked like that clear tube on the top had that same colored water/mineral oil mixture in it that one would find in those wave machines that were so popular back then. At some point during the story, the Fifth Doctor had asked one of his friends to get him a replacement "Space-Time Element, this time one without a recall circuit in it." And when said element was gotten and plugged in, the Doctor asked for clarification that this one had no "recall circuit". (It makes you wonder how the Timelords recalled the TARDIS for "Trial of a Timelord", unless his friend lied, or all S-T-Elements have a recall circuit built in and can't be removed.)

Some good screen grabs from that scene in "Arc" might provide decent details on the rest of the component. (Sorry, but that's one DVD I haven't gotten in my collection yet. Someone else will have to get the grabs.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

seanclarke1

Dec 19, 2010, 04:54 pm #2 Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 09:16 am by Scarfwearer
AOI01.JPG
AOI02.JPG
AOI03.JPG

Best regards,
Sean Clarke.

warmcanofcoke

Dec 19, 2010, 05:54 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 07:54 pm by warmcanofcoke
oh .. those are very clear images  :)
Thank you very much Sean. It looks like the Boxes are tinted or polarized, there is a circuit diagram decal on the wall of the boxes/or perhaps just strategically placed lines and both box units are transfixed by one clear rod Each box has there own set of additional clear rods. there is a base plate keeping the prop together and the clear liquid cylinder on top.... Thank you for the detailed pictures.

Warm regards,
Nathan King

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4075.0
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.