Apr 25, 2024, 02:08 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Teletran's Stone Tardis

Started by Teletran, Dec 14, 2010, 09:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Teletran

Dec 14, 2010, 09:02 am Last Edit: Dec 14, 2010, 09:03 am by Teletran
This is actually a continuation of my other Tardis but because they are so different I thought it would be simpler to have a different thread for each console room and surrounding area.

OK, I'll be honest, this is just a way to stop me getting bored with my build by letting me have as many console rooms as I want just say that they're all in the same Tardis.

This is the console for the tertiary level, basically the basement of the Tardis.
Having now committed myself to three consoles and wanting to insure that I could get at least one of them finished I'm keeping this one very simple, hopefully it will be just as effective.

stoneconsole08copy01.jpg
stoneconsole07copy01.jpg
stoneconsole11copy01.jpg

I've based the size and proportions on the s14 wooden console and combined the multiple operator principle with Brachacki's original ergonomic control idea. Three operators, one hand per panel.
The crystal time rotor is static both in that it doesn't move and, ye' know ZAP!
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

chinandler

If a TARDIS is "grown" I'd want mine to have this console! I can see it in a PANDORICA like surrounding, with stone-like roundels...

greatwazoo42

I remember this from one of the novels.  Very nice render, Teletran.  It reminds me a tiny bit of the inside of the Pylons from Land of the Lost. 

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2010, 04:28 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 04:41 am by galacticprobe
This reminds me a little of one of those crystal trays they had inside the pylons of the 1970s "Land Of The Lost". I can't find a decent photo of one of those trays, but strangely, here's a snippet from a Wikipedia article on the 1974 LOTL series:

"The interior of the Pylons is an extra-dimensional black void with no discernable boundaries or surfaces and is significantly larger inside than the Pylon appears from the outside, similar in some ways to the time traveling TARDIS from Doctor Who. (NOTE: I added the italics for emphasis. Continuing with the article...) Each Pylon will typically contain a "crystal matrix control table," a small square table made of rough stone with a grid (generally 9×9 decimeters) on the upper surface supported by a clear (possibly crystalline) pedestal set into a smaller stone base. Various light crystals rest on the grid. At least two known Pylons also have a large green viewing orb suspended beyond the crystal matrix table used as a visual display.
Note: In Season 3, the Pylons were redesigned... Likewise, the matrix tables were redesigned with a stone pedestal and a grid of all-red crystals."

Coincidence? I know the crystal table was square and your console (like most consoles) has six sides, but were you subconsciously influenced in your design by LOTL? And will the rest of your interior have a large green glowing viewing orb scanner?

I just find the parallel amazing, and at least IMHO, your console looks like one of those crystal trays on steroids!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2010, 05:07 am #4 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 05:11 am by galacticprobe
OK... after trying many combinations of words I finally found a few good photos of the crystal matrix tables.

First, the original table as described above:
altursia8.jpg
Note the clear pedestal between the table and the base; you can see the actor's leg and the other side of the base through it. Also note the green hovering viewing orb with the Sleestak (a.k.a. Altrusian) in it. (That Sleestak looks like my neighbor, the one who acts like "The Bucket Woman.")

Next, the LOTL Season 3 redesigned table:
altrusia15.jpg
Note the all-stone table and pedestal. (And yes, they also redesigned the inside of the pylons as well. They were still bigger inside than out, but now you could see the walls and floor.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Teletran

I've never actually seen that show, or read the new adventure's novels, I've read the description in the Tardis Index File but that's all. I've just been working from my own ideas. It's still not quite finished, I need to add some extra structural elements to the bottom and attach the crystals to the panels properly so they can glow or not depending on the moment. I've started working on the console room for this level, it will be a domed structure like the 2005 version but maybe a bit bigger and in stone with more gothic elements and a big crystal in the ceiling that the time rotor discharges into.

geminitimelord

TO THE MODS.......  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL ON THIS EARTH WHICH IS HOLY..... PLEASE REMOVE THE IMAGES OF THE LAND OF THE LOST FROM THIS POST  This is a Doctor Who SIte and I cannot Stomache looking at Sleestacks on this board...  THANK YOU...

greatwazoo42

Teletran - for not having read the original write ups in the novels or seen Land of the Lost you did an excellent job.  The one thing I got from the few times it showed up in the novels is that it was described as both giving the impression of the aged and heavily time worn look of the pillars of a Greek temple but also having an organic sense to it as well like it grew into that shape of it's own accord.  Sort of like coral but stone. 

I wonder if that's why the 2005 set was built to have a grown coral look to it along with the sonic?

greatwazoo42

Quote from: geminitimelord on Dec 16, 2010, 02:41 pm
TO THE MODS.......  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL ON THIS EARTH WHICH IS HOLY..... PLEASE REMOVE THE IMAGES OF THE LAND OF THE LOST FROM THIS POST  This is a Doctor Who SIte and I cannot Stomache looking at Sleestacks on this board...  THANK YOU...

Yipes.  Not a fan of Land of the Lost? 

They make for decent reference points, if the MODS have to do anything could they put them behind a spoiler snip or something?  Removing them would make some of the thread fail to make sense.

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2010, 03:03 pm #9 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 03:03 pm by galacticprobe
Scott, how do you think I feel? I have to live next to a Sleestak! And to make matters worse she acts like Hyacinth Bucket. She's always out there and I can't escape it! Even when everyone is out and I'm the only one home (note: all of the cars - except for the Blazer which doesn't run at the moment - are gone), if I don't answer the door if she come knocking (you know, "TAKE THE HINT: NO ONE IS HOME!"), she goes from window to window knocking on each one until it's made you so insane that you have to 1) open the door to see what she wants just to make her go away or 2) do the Lizzy Borden thing to her, claim insanity, and spend the rest of your regenerations in prison.

If I could have found an image without "that thing which shall not be named... again" in the glowing orb, or had the ability to edit it out, I would have and used that image instead.

The only reason I've got them in there is because "Doctor Who" was referenced in the article about the LOTL show when it talked about those pylons, and how Teletran's stone console reminded me of those crystal trays inside them.

Trust me... I was not trying to annoy you. I would never stand a chance if you came after me. In my condition I couldn't even run away if I saw you coming at me with an axe! ;)

Dino.

Teletran

Quote from: greatwazoo42 on Dec 16, 2010, 02:51 pm
Removing them would make some of the thread fail to make sense.

Gotta say, a lot of this thread doesn't make sense at the moment, Sleestacks?

greatwazoo42

The big lizard critters are Sleestacks.

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2010, 03:47 pm #12 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 03:50 pm by galacticprobe
Teletran,
Forget those "things that must not be named or Scott will come after me with weapons of vengeance" (although the thing in the glowing green orb is one such creature and it really does look like my neighbor!) and just concentrate on your console, and the slight resemblance it has to those crystal matrix trays, and the fact that "Doctor Who" has a reference in a Wikipedia article about a TV show called "Land Of The Lost" that aired from 1974 to 1977 in which these crystal trays appeared. (LOTL was just remade as a theatrical movie, and was more in line with the original series than was the 1990s TV remake.)

If you want to read the entire article, and not just my little snippet in my earlier post:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Lost_(1974_TV_series).

Dino.

greatwazoo42

Land of the Lost actually seems to have stolen a lot from Doctor Who in that the "Land" is littered with "Pylons" that are bigger on the inside than out and have crystal and stone consoles inside them that control their function.  The show also had episodes that dealt with time and dimensional travel.  Since Who was ten seasons old by the time LotL started production I wonder how much Who had an effect on it?

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2010, 03:56 pm #14 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 03:56 pm by galacticprobe
Thank you, Waz! I have been vindicated.

Dino.