Mar 28, 2024, 04:04 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Luke's 2010 Tardis Build

Started by flaming cog, Dec 12, 2010, 11:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flaming cog

Dec 12, 2010, 11:27 am Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 12:55 am by Scarfwearer
Hello! Long time since I've done building, the last building project being Sydeny the Cyberman. But I'm back! And up for a challenge.

For my As-levels I am building the Matt Smith Tardis, yep the biggest box made by the BBC. Am I crazy or just plain *stooped? (*Alice Cooper link there) I have already made up a set of plans from people sending me various dimensions, and then adapting it to standard sizes from a local saw mill.

The project is to make it a quirky flat packed garden shed; therefore I have to make sure it is under the cost of the TPE Tardis, and typical designer sheds. To do this I am making it from pine and outdoor plywood (standard Tardis materials), nothing too substantial in reality but seeing the shed will be kept in the garage afterwards (and in theory it should sustain outdoor use, therefore the paperwork is good)

The time I will have will be from Jan-Feb11th, in lesion and after school. Due to the time period I think I will only build the box, leaving off the lamp, paint, handles etc.

So wish me luck ladies and gents! This is going to be a quick trip....(....help)

Luke (That crazy building nut from the south west of england)
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

superrichi1a

Good luck! nice to see that this is getting going! :)
You haven't got a lot of time there to build it, but I've always maintained that a man can build a TARDIS in less than a week, if he puts in a lot of time. I've seen people get 3 sides, 2 doors, corner posts, and the base done in a day before (actually, it was one guy, and he did it unaided), so it is certainly possible :) You should have no problems with the price, TPE TARDIS, £3000, sheds, well, no idea, but I'm sure it's do-able! Do you have to pay for it or does the school?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

flaming cog

I have to pay for it, the school couldn't fun this if they tried.. lol

geminitimelord

Awesome Luke! suggest that you pony up for the front of your build and get some good pine lumber with lots of wood grain and take extra care to make the cuts as perfect as possible. Would be awesome to see a similar look.

Look forward to your Build Diary

superrichi1a

Wish I'd done that on mine. I'm using the Subaru Liberty Blue so the prain will really show. Unfortunatly, my cuts were not the neatest, and I had to use a lot of woodfiller etc, so it could look better. Unlike the prop, mine will have several layers of primer on first though, so hopefully it will be barley noticable.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

flaming cog

Jan 11, 2011, 10:21 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2011, 12:55 am by Scarfwearer
Here's the build so far:
16819049312667955474493.jpg

Lots to do, but I only started building yesterday...

Luke

DoctorWho8

Who's the tree hugger, I mean, corner post holder? ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

kiwidoc

Looking pretty sharp - keep it up!

geminitimelord

Luke,

Excellent start!  you have an interesting base, I look forward to seeing how it develops.

The place you are building looks quite sterile, where are you doing this?

Also on another note, you have a quite lovely assistant  ;D

flaming cog

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jan 12, 2011, 02:33 am
Who's the tree hugger, I mean, corner post holder? ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

That be my girlfriend :) (was three months together two days ago)

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jan 12, 2011, 02:12 pm
Luke,

Excellent start!  you have an interesting base, I look forward to seeing how it develops.

The place you are building looks quite sterile, where are you doing this?

Also on another note, you have a quite lovely assistant  ;D

Doing it all at school. And thanks ;) hehe

geminitimelord

Well your School has quite the shop! Vaccum exhaust on the saws, yellow caution tape... Ghost of Safety Sadie hanging in the air. Still very nice place to build the TARDIS.

Ok so (now that the personal life of Luke is public knowledge, Internationally speaking) this must be the new Girlfriend as the old Girlfriend, to which you built and dedicated that wonderful K-9 build, was dumped. I certainly hope she will have no claim on the TARDIS as I can see you are a popular young dashing James Bond with the girl of the week.

And now back to your build :)

flaming cog

Jan 12, 2011, 05:28 pm #11 Last Edit: Jan 12, 2011, 05:29 pm by flaming cog
You are correct. And, nope. This is my TARDIS :)

superrichi1a

Wonderful job, Luke! A nice big base there... I like a big base... mmmmmm deep pan peperon- sorry... went off into a world of my own there.
Looking good so far, and a good place to build, all the tools you need! I would have loved do have done this for my A Level... (actually, I did IB at my school... which means that the thing I build would have been funded by private investors... what a wasted opportunity!) Oh! Well, can't be going to badly wrong with a sonic screwdriver!
Seeing boxes like this always makes me feel slightly sad. Slightly sad that my box is smaller than it should be. Sure, it's bigger than the classic boxes but still... it'll never be quite an NST...

Avadh

geminitimelord

Quote from: superrichi1a on Jan 12, 2011, 07:10 pm
Seeing boxes like this always makes me feel slightly sad. Slightly sad that my box is smaller than it should be. Sure, it's bigger than the classic boxes but still... it'll never be quite an NST...

It isnt the size of the box that matters. It is how you use it ;)