Apr 26, 2024, 09:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

I think we hit the motherload! (22 TARDISes on a lorry)

Started by DoctorWho8, Dec 02, 2010, 12:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

timewomble

Is it possible that these were made in a batch by This Planet Earth, to be delivered to different customers?

DoctorWho8

Doesn't look like their handy work.  And I don't think their shop is big enough to contain that many at one time.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

the_prop_maniac

Wow. Like, 4 years and since then there's still been no news? I guess the Doctor felt they were his rightful property, ALTHOUGH, me thinks this had something to do with the 50th.

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

Kingpin

Could they not have been some of the Blackpool illuminations?

the_prop_maniac

I visited Blackpool after this happened. Not a sign of any such thing.

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

BioDoctor900

I Reckon I've worked it out. As this was just after they moved studios, I think its possible that these are the Hero props from the series as they had 4 boxes for Eccleston/Tennant Era, some would have been used for the Experience (The slanted one outside and a couple inside) and the rest for any tours. There is only 11. It looks like there are 22, but its just the packaging boxes.

I mean it's only a guess, but it seems like the only plausible explanation for it

Thoughts??

BioDoctor900

Angelus Lupus

One way to settle the number (11 or 22) on there is to work out the size. I'm no lorry/truck expert, but surely we can identify something on there to work from size-wise? What about the sizes of the wooden pallets they're on? Google tells me that common sizes seem to be anywhere from 750mm to 1200mm wide (27 1/2" to 47 1/4") If it helps, as far as I can see, the Tardises are (very) roughly the same width as the wheels directly beneath them, whatever that size may be If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably not full size, sadly.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

BioDoctor900

Well you can tell that it is 11 by the thickness of the packing boxes, remember they would be on either side. They are at least 4ft wide and look to be about a foot deep before it touches the sides of the boxes, plus the lorry looks too narrow to be able to carry another line of them. I would have said the lorry back is about 6ft wide by 48ft - 50ft long.

BioDoctor900

Angelus Lupus

I took what you said, and hit wikipedia - which says "Most UK trailers are 13.7 m (45 ft) long"
So I cut out the trailer part of the image, scaled it and a 45ft long trailer has 9ft height inside. 11 full size Tardises couldn't fit inside. But... if it is a longer 60ft trailer (apparently maximum allowed in the UK) then it would be tall enough for a NST on a pallet and have room for 11 side-by-side, plus the gap at the rear.

So, I'm now erring on the side of full size, because why would anyone want 11 80% scale props? (what they'd nee to be to fit in a 45ft trailer) But it still doesn't tell us where they went.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

BioDoctor900

Like I said, I reckon they were used for the experience, hero and filming props and then promotional props. It seems the most logical explanation as I, nor anyone else has seen any of these TARDISes, the only ones that have been seen are at the Experience, at the BBC Studios or at promotional events like the Doctor Who Tour in Cardiff

BioDoctor900