Apr 24, 2024, 09:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

I think we hit the motherload! (22 TARDISes on a lorry)

Started by DoctorWho8, Dec 02, 2010, 12:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

I doubt kiddies play areas. Have you ever seen a kid playing with something they don't own? No respect whatsoever (of course, I should point out I'm not stereotyping here, most kids seem to be responsible enough). Take, ssssssaaayyy, Daleks. Guy spends £800 building Dalek. Guy takes Dalek to charity event for the enjoyment of the kiddies. These kiddies instead kick, thump and swing on these Daleks. I've heard loads of stories of this, and seen it many times. There are several Dalek videos on YouTube where an ungrateful kid has come along and tried to grab a piece to take home, kick, whack or try to tip over the Dalek. I'm saying again, not all kids, I know, but a good few of 'em.
Imagine what things would be like if kids had these TARDISes alone to play with for a day unchecked. There'd be nothing recognisable left, and that's before teenage chavs come along and grafitti on it before going off to ilegally somke somewhere.
Anyways, why would the BBC spend, probably hundreds of pounds on these, just to give to a few lucky playgrounds in the UK, none of which I assume will be anywhere near actual fans of the show.

As for porta-loos. Lol, but, no, just... no. I think it's prettry obvious these are fibreglass props pulled from the same mould (possibly Tennant Boxes judging from the colour) and are going to Exhibitions / BBC TV Centres' reception rooms / The Who Set/ Purple's House :) ).
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

Purple has commented on email and on his blog that these may actually be for the police to use for various events around the country.  Purple and his business buddy quoted on a project for the Police in regards of make about 2 dozen police boxes.  Of course the police wanted something cheaper than what people and his cohort do when they made the exhibition TARDISes, so they didn't get the job.  So that's his theory.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

a lovely shade of blue

STRIKE ME PINK!.

DoctorWho8

slidin_sidewayz

DoctorWho8

Down a black hole.  There has been nothing more on this in the media.

slidin_sidewayz

So 22 fully assembled, and I assume they were fibreglass, replicas, were just trucked off into the distance, never to be seen again? Weird.

drew30

that is weird. i was hoping to have heard more about this.

warmcanofcoke

this mystery is now over a year old .... did anybody find out why there were 11 Tardises (not 22, I've seen the photo) on a lorry?
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

DoctorWho8

domvar

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 24, 2012, 01:07 pm
this mystery is now over a year old .... did anybody find out why there were 11 Tardises (not 22, I've seen the photo) on a lorry?

There are 22 the other pic is from the other side of the lorry

james791

Were they the ones made for the Blackpool illuminations maybe?

mobius

maybe the police decided to start using them again? course then the Beeb would probably sue them lol. still, if I was in charge of the UK fuzz, I'd totally reinstate these things all over the place. it'd be great public relations for a start.
It's always a matter of time...

DoctorWho8

Oddly enough, there has been nothing more about these in 18 months.