Apr 19, 2024, 06:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Action Mat's 11th doctor style console build

Started by action_mat, Nov 16, 2010, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

action_mat

Nov 16, 2010, 10:41 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2010, 03:51 pm by Scarfwearer
I'm working on a little console for the 3/4 size TARDIS I'm building for my son.  The back wall is fitted out with a sheet of acrylic mirror, the half console in front of it (giving an effective illusion of space).
Plenty of levers, perspex panels and green light to add, not to mention texturing, dials and a paint job.  And just about anything else I can throw at it before Christmas :D

tardis014-1.jpg

To get an idea of how she's coming along, here's the console on its back, laid on top of the mirror with a few led's...
tardis012-1.jpg
tardis011-1.jpg
tardis013-1.jpg

rocket

Really nice start. Better watch out though, you might be spending Christmas alone, he might take off anywhere in space and time... :P
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

slugworth118

I was wondering who would be the first to tackle a Matt Smith console, and I'm pleased to see how well it's coming along! I really love the look of the LEDs. Maybe it's because of the effect of the lights against the mirror, but it really has a certain magical quality to it. Great job so far, I'm looking forward to see more.

awesomeness18

Very good. Liking it. What did you use to make it?

ripintime

Nov 17, 2010, 04:06 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2010, 04:07 pm by ripintime
great start!

Looks really good with the LEDS against the mirror! :)
:)Ripintime:)

action_mat

Quote from: awesomeness18 on Nov 17, 2010, 03:42 pm
Very good. Liking it. What did you use to make it?

9mm MDF. :)

Thanks for your positive comments everyone.  I'm building this in secret and they're very encouraging.

action_mat

Nov 17, 2010, 10:16 pm #6 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2010, 10:25 pm by action_mat
Realising it should be a partially exploded hexagon, I've carved into the joins, added some extra pieces and plenty of body filler.  I also made the leather upholstered panels..   :)

tardis016-1.jpg
tardis015-1.jpg

rocket

I'm really liking this, those leather panels look very professional.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

Rassilons Rod

Agreed. This is coming along really nicely! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Elvis Gump

I want to know how you replicate all the little spinny thing's on the console!

Will you have the gramophone horn, the typewriter, hot and cold taps, pinball machine, the little brake-fluid tank and computer view screen?

action_mat

I've spent a few productive nights on the console and I'm really happy with the result :)
I'm at the paint stage, at last!   Plasti-kote bleached stone textured spray paint has given me the effect I was looking for.   The sound effects (which are nice and loud) come from the flight control tardis toy.  It's various sounds operated by individual push switches, giving take off, interior and 'out of control' effects.  I've placed led's below the perspex panels and downlighting in the base (not shown).  Needs touching in with black, electrics installed, leather panels and anything else I can find:)

tardis017-1.jpg

tardis018.jpg

tardis021-1.jpg

type 83

Great build, don't spoil it by using the oversized torch screwdriver

ripintime

Brilliant! Looks very proffesional!
Well done ;D
:)Ripintime:)

action_mat

Nov 20, 2010, 09:18 pm #13 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2010, 11:06 pm by action_mat
Quote from: type 83 on Nov 20, 2010, 05:28 pm
Great build, don't spoil it by using the oversized torch screwdriver

Yes, it is a bit on the chunky side.  My son's managed to lose his sonic, so I bought this one assuming it was smaller and with the image slides seemed more fun.  I'm sure he'll upgrade it for the better model when he unwraps his presents  ;) ;D

the_temporal_mechanic

Brilliant work Sir,  Simply Brilliant!