Apr 18, 2024, 09:07 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Wayne's Dalek build

Started by wayne venomous, Nov 15, 2010, 10:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne venomous

Nov 15, 2010, 10:32 am Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011, 11:02 am by Scarfwearer
Well, I've put the TARDIS console build on the back burner (time rotor?) as it's not really coming together as well as I'd hoped. It's just not "flowing" like the TARDIS build did.
However, after going to a local Dalek gathering held by Northern Charity Daleks, I've kinda befriended them and they're desperate for more Daleks so I thought why the hell not?

I've decided I'm going to build an Ironside Dalek as seen in Victory Of The Daleks.  He's going to be called Dalek Angelos - anyone who's seen the BBC program Shooting Stars recently may get the reference. Ironsides have a military bag on them (What's in ya bag, Angelos?!) and also I'm planning on getting the gun to fire out smoke like Angelos Epithemu's desk does to the guest sitting next to him.

I'm in two minds whether or not to build it out of sheet steel (I'm very experienced in car panel work) or fibreglass, which I've never done before. I suppose I could start by making the skirt out of individual steel panels and if it does prove to be too heavy, I can turn the steel panels inside out and make a mould.
EDIT 2 January 2011 - I'm making it from hardboard! See below.

As for the Dalek voice, you're probably familiar with the way I build stuff by now - just whatever junk I've got lying around so here's a video of how it works and the testing:

wayne venomous

Been doing a bit more tweaking of the frequencies;

Here's the same set-up but using a square wave at 45 and 50 Hz:

It's starting to sound more like a new series Dalek.
So, now we know the difference - for old series Daleks, lower frequences i.e. 15 Hz with a sine wave.
For new series Daleks, higher frequences i.e. 45 Hz and 50 Hz with a square wave.

Here's a video of me messing about with the different frequencies and my voice goes higher like an excited 5 year old when I start to discover the best range:

superrichi1a

Hi Wayne!
Hehe, I was wondering how long it would take for you to start a new thread (you mentioned it in your TARDIS build), GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK! Yup, I too am doing an Ironside, so perhaps it will be helpful to both of us to have someone else totally new to Dalek-Building doing exactly the same thing at the same time lol. I think ours will be the first fan-built Ironsides, you know, I have another friend who is also building one, but he seems pretty busy, may not be completed for a while. So, yeah, looking great so far and I look forward to more :)
Richard
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

wayne venomous

Yeah, sometimes it's nice to have a break but it's always good to be back!  ;)
I thought the Ironside was a bit different and Nato green hides a multitude of sins. Plus, any uncompleted sections can always be covered by the green canvas (also means you don't have to worry too much about the neck!)

I know there was an Ironside at Time War at Magna but I'm not sure if was a real one.

superrichi1a

That's interesting. I didn't realise there were any completed fan builds yet. The owners seem to have been keeping pretty quiet about it. I met one of the BBC Prop Daleks at Doctor Who Live recently, standing outside the door. Unfortunatly he was fenced off, so i couldn't get a good look. Although, they do also have a modified This Planet Earth model in the Cardiff Exhibition.
Anyway, Wayne, what do you plan to do next? I'm starting off with the shoulders of mine, then the neck rings, and my skirt is about half done (but on hiatus, as it is now too cold in my shed to work lol). ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

wayne venomous

Nov 16, 2010, 06:42 pm #6 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010, 06:53 pm by wayne venomous
I'm 99.9% sure that Ironside pictured at Fleet is the same one that was at Time War - the black outs on the top lights and the strap going around the neck are very distinctive. I wonder if the fan-built Ironside was an already built new series Dalek that's just had the Nato green treatment?

I managed to get right up close to a real Ironside at the Doctor Who exhibition at Newcastle Centre For Life last month:
ironsidemain.jpg
ironsideneckdetail.jpg
ironsideguns.jpg
ironsideskirt.jpg

Well my next plan is to start the skirt panels. These will probably be recycled from a burned out VW Beetle shell I've got in the back yard. Basically I'll start cutting the metal into flat panels and then fold the edges over. The idea is they'll bolt together to form the skirt, they can also be bolted inside out to make a fibreglass mould too.

BTW, I'm sure I read in a story years ago that our very own Doctor had a VW Beetle in the TARDIS at one point?  ??? I know Mickey had one in the very first episode when Doctor Who returned.

superrichi1a

The McGann console room did have a beetle in, although I'm not sure why or when (I don't think I ever saw it in the movie). I saw a picture once of a sort of arch way just off the console with a blue VW in, but that's about as much as I know.
For conformation on whether these fan builds are the same Dalek, look at their hemispheres (can you post up some pics of the one you saw). The one in Crispin's post had some very distinctive black oil rings, like the other Daleks but unlike the Ironsides which were just painted green all over (to save time by the props department, I presume).

wayne venomous

According to TARDIS index file: The Doctor had a Volkswagen Beetle that fit into an alcove in the TARDIS, which he drove, and let Sam Jones drive, on numerous occasions. (EDA: Vampire Science, Longest Day, Seeing I) The Doctor traded it to a Faction Paradox cultist in 2002 for information, it was, supposedly, taken back in time and melted down to create the car, thereby creating a paradox.
I'm very much a VW Beetle nut too (I've had mine for 13 years!) and know pretty much all the history and I can see how this would fit into it.

Anyway, back to the Ironsides - here's the one that was at Time War:
ironsidetimewar1.jpg
I hadn't realised the seals around the Hemispheres were a different colour until you mentioned - I'm now convinced 100% that this is the same one as Crispin linked to.

rocket

Nice to see these being recreated. I really like the Ironside Dalek, it was the last time we saw real Daleks before they introduced the horrible fat Daleks.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

superrichi1a

Yup, they are definatly the same, seals, colour, strips, caps and the belt buckles all match up ;)

wayne venomous

Nov 16, 2010, 10:28 pm #11 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010, 10:31 pm by wayne venomous
Quote from: rocket on Nov 16, 2010, 09:02 pm
Nice to see these being recreated. I really like the Ironside Dalek, it was the last time we saw real Daleks before they introduced the horrible fat Daleks.

Spoiler
I've heard a rumour that the previous style will be making a comeback and the new ones will just be the "bosses". I think Steve Moffit has realised how unpopular they are.
[close]

I think they would have worked a lot better with a different colour scheme. Black with silver Hemis is always a safe bet and if they were desperate to use different colours, why not the darker metallic red as used in the movie Daleks?

Quote from: superrichi1a on Nov 16, 2010, 09:46 pm
Yup, they are definatly the same, seals, colour, strips, caps and the belt buckles all match up ;)

Nobody seems to know where it's come from. It's not known on the PDF forum and nobody from Time War seems to know about it as there was nobody around to claim ownership. Maybe it's a real Dalek - it would be the perfect hiding place!  ;D

wayne venomous

Nov 17, 2010, 02:48 pm #12 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2010, 02:55 pm by wayne venomous
Right, spent a bit of time cleaning up the voice modulator circuit and this has really improved the sound quality. There's still a slight mains hum but once I've shielded the circuit properly this shouldn't be a problem. In fact, it won't be a problem anyway when it's in the Dalek as it'll be powered by 12 volts DC instead.

Here's a few more videos;

Trying out all the different Dalek frequencies that were posted on the PDF forum voice modulators section:

Not totally sure which frequency sounds best, I quite like the Destiny Of The Daleks sound although it's not correct for the type of Dalek I'm building. Then again, I could imagine this sounding really good at conventions so maybe try a few out once the whole Dalek is built.

My Daughter Kat having a go of the voice modulator:

welshorals

Love the dalek sound, has anyone done anything similar to repreduce k9 voice?? i would be interested to find out how they managed it.
Steve

deck5

They use a device called a "John Leeson".  He does the voice himself, no electronics involved.