Apr 16, 2024, 04:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Action Mats roughly 1/2 size TARDIS

Started by action_mat, Nov 02, 2010, 07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

action_mat

Nov 28, 2010, 12:47 am #15 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010, 01:33 am by action_mat
As I'm painting this at night (in secret) here are a few shots of the work in progress.  Frames painted and first coat of blue on the doors..

tardis030-1.jpg

These are the inner frames (laid out to photograph, not stuck together yet)  The perspex is part frosted and part tinted, so just about see through.  They're smears you can see on the untreated side, not brush marks.  I used a spray can of non road legal tail light black, as used by boy racers.  A good use found for the stuff at last! ;)
tardis028-1.jpg

The roof is finished.  It looks very glossy, but that's because the paint's still wet.
tardis029-1.jpg

The light is a battery powered wardrobe light with a pull switch (comes through the ceiling into the box).  It's a bulb, not an LED and I prefer the glow it gives off :)
tardis027-1.jpg

The lamp was made from a variety of household goods, dowel, mdf and plenty of frosting spray ;D
tardis004.jpg

DoctorWho8

I see Amy Pond poking through the sign box opening. ;)  Looking good!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

action_mat

Nov 28, 2010, 01:22 am #17 Last Edit: Nov 28, 2010, 01:27 am by action_mat
Thanks Bill and well spotted ; ;D That was the young doctor on a mission with his sticker book earlier today,  I really can't complain if he wants to redecorate with Amy Pond, can I? ;D

action_mat

Apart from painting the box, I've also done a bit of work on the phone.  Just a couple of bells to find, I've been scouring charity shops for an old clockwork alarm clock.

tardis032-1.jpg

rocket

Nice phone, the perfect finishing touch.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

action_mat

Nov 30, 2010, 06:27 pm #20 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2010, 06:40 pm by action_mat
I had no joy finding the smaller handle to scale, so I bought two 5" cupboard handles and cut one of them down.  Really pleased with it :)
tardis035-1.jpg
A few sections hanging up to dry........................
tardis033-1.jpg

action_mat

Dec 01, 2010, 09:20 am #21 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 10:06 am by action_mat
I found the extra parts I was looking for, may add sounds if I have time (or at a later stage). :)  I picked up a little alarm clock with bells of the correct size, but it was chrome.  Gold paint and varnish mixed together and now they blend in nicely.

It was made from 2 routed pieces of 9mm MDF, 1"x1" batton, earpiece and mouthpiece made from a brass candlestick holder, handset is 22mm copper pipe, holder made from flattened copper from the same pipe, cable from a poundshop coloured with a varnish/stain mix, phone body mahogony stained and 3 coats of satin varnish.  

The door is 208mm(H) X 192mm(W)

tardis037-1.jpg

tardis036-1.jpg

Scarfwearer

The phone looks great! And thanks for all the details about the parts you used.

Crispin

action_mat

Thanks Crispin :)

Started putting the signs together.....

tardis039-1.jpg

chinandler

I'm lovin it so far! I'm doing one similar to this at the min. Who did your signs? I printed my own on my last build, but for my current build i'm wanting proper signage.
Matt

action_mat

Dec 01, 2010, 10:32 pm #25 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 10:36 pm by action_mat
Quote from: chinandler on Dec 01, 2010, 08:33 pm
I'm lovin it so far! I'm doing one similar to this at the min. Who did your signs? I printed my own on my last build, but for my current build i'm wanting proper signage.
Matt

Thanks  :)  The signs were made by a guy in Cornwall.  A fellow Moderator at the Vintage Action Man Forum and Van graphics sign maker.  He posted them to me and did an excellent deal.  They're laser cut vinyl, but as the letters are laid over the black they're not see through and can't be lit from behind.  If you're interested I could put you in touch with him.

action_mat

A few more pictures while I finish the inside :)
This is the underside of the roof....
tardis043-1.jpg
Yale style lock cut in (minus the rim, making it look more in scale with my build)
tardis042-1.jpg
I picked up a lock for a narrow width door from Wilkinsons (£9.97), ideal for a smaller build, about one third smaller than a normal yale lock and came with 3 keys.
tardis041-1.jpg

graymaverick

Wow that looking really good. Thats also different than mine your workmanship is alot better. :)

DoctorWho8

Interesting that you kept your doors flat on the inside rather than duplicate the outside structure internally.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rocket

Keeping them flat is a good idea, for one thing it's a bit different to what everyone else seems to be doing, and it also gives you the option of adding old skool roundels.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.