Apr 19, 2024, 06:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 Sign sizes and fonts

Started by swbono, Oct 20, 2010, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swbono

Oct 20, 2010, 09:34 am Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 10:35 pm by Scarfwearer
What are the sizes and fonts for 2005 style signs.
local company do sheets and lettering etc and would like to try them for my signs.
have the pdf but it doesnt help with letter sizes or fonts .
just need to clarify .
thanks

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2010, 03:49 pm #1 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 04:05 pm by galacticprobe
I'll give this one a try. (Anyone else, feel free to correct me if I'm off.)

Using the 2005 PDF (http://billrudloff.com/DoorSign.pdf) and converting it to an MS Word doc, I get the following:

POLICE TELEPHONE - TimesNewRomanPS, 76 point

FREE - (same font), 110 point
FOR USE OF - (same font), 76 point
PUBLIC - (same font), 110 point

ADVICE & ASSISTANCE
OBTAINABLE IMMEDIATELY - VAGRounded-Thin, 64 point

OFFICERS & CARS
RESPOND TO ALL CALLS - VAGRounded-Thin, 60 point

PULL TO OPEN - VAGRounded-Thin, 120 point

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

philipw

Quote from: swbono on Oct 20, 2010, 09:34 am
What are the sizes and fonts for 2005 style signs.
local company do sheets and lettering etc and would like to try them for my signs.
have the pdf but it doesnt help with letter sizes or fonts .
just need to clarify .
thanks

Hmmm.

With a pdf, it's a scalable vector format actually, which will allow the printer to make it any size you like. No need to recreate it with individual fonts. They should have no problem doing this at all if you give them the size you want it to be. If this is any trouble for you I'm sure there are several of us here that can resize it for you, including me.

swbono

Top signs . I want to go to a local company and say here print me this off x 4 . What font . What size font . What total size is the sign .

philipw

You'll need to sort the size out according to your build as the actual height and length of your acrylic can vary depending on how you design and build your sign box.

Then, you'll need to know the width you'll want of you actual letters (from left edge to right edge), and let the height proportionally scale from that. Only know both those can the sign be specified and made, though the letter part is easy if you use one of the sign pdfs found here at the site.

swbono

Hi philip.
understand what you mean.
im doing the 2005 model (in title) and working from bill Rudloffs pdf.
Sign boxes being 49 1/2 x 5 1/2 3/4 thick.
I thought it was the other way around , set sizes and fonts for the signs then box them in .
was going to get them at the correct size then work around them .

signs can be very impressive if done correctly, but have them a little big or small and it looks wierd.

philipw

Quote from: swbono on Oct 22, 2010, 08:07 am
Hi philip.
understand what you mean.
im doing the 2005 model (in title) and working from bill Rudloffs pdf.
Sign boxes being 49 1/2 x 5 1/2 3/4 thick.
I thought it was the other way around , set sizes and fonts for the signs then box them in .
was going to get them at the correct size then work around them .

signs can be very impressive if done correctly, but have them a little big or small and it looks wierd.

As sure as I am with my build plans, I still plan to do the signs after finishing the top sign boxes. Having the signs match the box is much easier to do if something goes slightly off than rebuilding the boxes.

deck5

Quote from: philipw on Oct 22, 2010, 03:52 pm
As sure as I am with my build plans, I still plan to do the signs after finishing the top sign boxes. Having the signs match the box is much easier to do if something goes slightly off than rebuilding the boxes.

I did the same with my build; boxes first, signs second.

galacticprobe

Oct 23, 2010, 05:50 am #9 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 05:57 am by galacticprobe
Silly me. I went for the wrong signs.

Too many TARDISes (I know - not possible); too many signs and versions; not enough brain cells!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"