Apr 20, 2024, 08:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Why two sets of doors?

Started by Kingpin, Oct 05, 2010, 12:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Crispin: I hope this is in as best a place as possible, but after looking through the forum categories, this one didn't seem to fall into a specific area.

In gathering intel on the Yardley-Jones Mark 2 in order to build a digital replica (for a project I'll detail at some point in the future) it got me thinking about a peculiar aspect of a couple of the TARDIS props, why did the construction teams give the two Yardley-Jones props, and the Newbery box two sets of doors?

I can understand the need to have both doors open, as the need may require, but why the need to add-on one pair with two opening doors, and one pair with one?  Wouldn't a slide bolt at the top and bottom of the door with the phone panel suffice in locking it into place when that one didn't need to be opened?  Adding the second set seemed an unneccesary bit of extra work, not to mention led to some interesting shots of the back of the TARDIS sporting a lock and handle.

I don't imagine that info's ever trickled down into the building community, but I felt it worth airing, if this hasn't already been aired.

Scarfwearer

This seems like a good place for the topic...

There's something about this in Anthony Sibley's history of the props on the TARDIS Library here: Prop 3.

Apparently the centre divider that covers the gap between the doors was attached to the left door on one side and the right door on the other side of the box, so either could be opened, presumably depending on what the director wanted in any given shot.
I imagine the alternative of having a free-standing centre divider was not taken because it would have been too fragile. In practice the back of the box needed to be able to open anyway to get the actors in and out when a lot of people pile into the TARDIS in one shot.

Crispin

Theta Sigma

Not to mention that it is harder to lock yourself out when you have back doors!
"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

Kingpin

heh, very true, although that's why you have two sets of keys. :)

kiwidoc

The Brachacki also had two doors as documented on many occasions.  The Newbery didn't have extra doors that I'm aware of but the entire back was removable for the same reason (primarily access by actors).

Kingpin

Blast, I meant the Brachacki as I think I saw the reference you were talking about, but got the names mixed up.

metrosonus

According to the article Crispin posted, it seems both sides were "front" doors. Obviously the back needed to have been open for the actors to walk through, but the author poses it as more of an aesthetic option for the filming crew. I can't understand why unless it was merely a backup if one of the sets of doors happened to be damaged during filming.

Rassilons Rod

One side favoured left sided opening and one on the right. Depends which side of the box they wanted to shoot from.

Its more efective so that you don't see an empty box when the doors open.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

metrosonus

d'oh. ok...

that makes more sense.

Rassilons Rod

don't worry, there's no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't know, then you don't know... Thats just the way it is :)
Public Enema Number One.

metrosonus

I had trouble putting the two facts together.  ;D it does make sense to quite an extent. There's many scenes where the TARDIS is against a wall and it's better to have the actors come out one door vs. another. I guess because, as Crispin was saying, there's the strip on each (opposite) door on each side that would allow the other one to open inwardly. That would be the reason for both sides.  ;D

Rassilons Rod

Well both front and back had both doors openable, just that each favour one side or the other opening first.
Public Enema Number One.

metrosonus

correct.. I just didn't mention that part.