Apr 25, 2024, 09:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

series 6 tardis interior alterations ?

Started by acquiesce, Sep 24, 2010, 03:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

acquiesce

Sep 24, 2010, 03:42 pm Last Edit: Sep 24, 2010, 03:49 pm by acquiesce
Neil gaiman has posted some pics of himself on twitter visiting the console room set

an from what i can see there have been a few changes not the best of pics for showing the whole of the set but

the railings around the console the tardis walls plus a few other bits an bobs seam to have had a make over

what do you think ?

http://twitpic.com/2rg1je
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

exleo

MMMMmmmmm very interesting, definately new handrails, and the wall covering is different, the metalic copper has gone to be replaced by a more matt version. Also there seems to be a lack of roundels on that back wall compared to last season......I wonder what else will have changed!
But of course it means they can bring out a season 6 console room toy next year too!! ;)

galacticprobe

Sep 24, 2010, 07:36 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2010, 07:37 pm by galacticprobe
Indeed interesting. That photo is from an angle that we didn't get to see all that much in Series 5 being that the camera seemed to spend most of its time filming from there. It's possible that we're only noticing details that we hadn't been given a good look at before. Although it is possible that a matt wall covering has been substituted for the copper covering if they were having troubles with the copper tarnishing too much.

We definitely need more photos of the set to determine if "real" changes have been made. Remember, comments were made when the Eccleston/Tennant console had its controls and panels altered during the studio move and having the panels recast because someone got overzealous with the console lighting during the "Christmas Invasion" special. Those changes were minor and there might not be any real changes to Matt's Console Room set.

More photos! More photos! Insanely curious minds want - nay, need - to know!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

acquiesce

if you have a look at the tardis 360 panoramic here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/episodes/b00sfgtp/panoramic

then you can see the pannelled wall with no roundels

but it does look like the metal work has changed from square section in a gun metal to round tube which looks a rose gold colour but the colour could just be because of the lighting used on set

will endevour to find more pics asap to sate dino,s thurst  ;D
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

acquiesce

Sep 24, 2010, 09:04 pm #4 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2010, 09:14 am by Scarfwearer
and no sooner said than done lol

167042407.jpg

and

167030474.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Yeah, that wierd roundel-less fourth wall was there already in Season 5... In that other thread, where this TARDIS appears in a computer game, it has been replaced with some proper roundels to match the rest of the room.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

I must say I rather like the new railings, they feel like they've had more work and time lavished on them compared to the older ones, which in comparison now look rather bland.

whofan88

Sep 26, 2010, 12:24 am #7 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2010, 12:25 am by whofan88
I noticed in the Doctor Who Adventure game the TARDIS had a sloped wall with roundels in the back where the camera normally sits but in the series it never did.  Are you certain the back wall had roundels?  As I recall watching one of the Doctor Who Confidential episodes I noticed the back wall did not have roundels.  I also noticed that throughout the series the shots were placed so the back wall wasn't in frame.  I don't think there were roundels like the other side walls.  

game-city-of-the-daleks-tardis.jpg
The adventure game wall.

vlcsnap-2010-07-21-12h53m04s3.png
Notice the flat back wall.

vlcsnap-2010-07-21-12h50m27s228.png

vlcsnap-2010-07-21-13h01m01s162.png
This image is kind of dark but I think it reinforces my point.
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

acquiesce

no the back wall never had roundels since the series 5 revamp was always a flat pannelled  wall not that it was shown much on camera tho

galacticprobe

Sep 26, 2010, 06:29 am #9 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2010, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Yeah. What acquiesce and whofan88 said is exactly what I was thinking (and hinting at in my earlier post). I'm just glad to see that others have noticed this, so I didn't get hit with all of the flack for saying it. (And I never go by video game graphics because they're never 100% accurate: most times not even 80%, and sometimes even less. Very rarely can you find a game and say "Wow! They got it right on the money!" And sadly, this new "Who" game isn't one of them. Although the detail seems to be very good, as the saying goes: "Close, but no cigar.")

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

cyberstephen

I automatically assumed that this wall was simply part of the studio and not part of the set itself. I thought that it was probably the main area where filming took place and therefore the set wouldn't need to be dressed in that location.
Stephen

superrichi1a

Nah, I think it is part of the set, otherwise, why bother with that wall too? May as well just build a rig for the cameras. Also, look at the lgithing on the wall. That is designed to LOOK good, not the film from :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

cyberstephen

Well, we'll have to agree to differ on whether it's been designed to look good as you say.  :)

I just don't think it's part of the set because it bears no resemblance to any other part of the set which by now we've all seen. I believe that if they were going to add to it to achieve a 360 degree effect, they'd have incorporated it far better. It doesn't look in the slightest bit alien; merely utilitarian- which is why I think it's simply part of the studio itself...

...coupled with the fact that it's extremely close to the railings- far closer to the railings than any other part of the set walls around the other sides of the console. I don't believe a production designer would have set out the space like this.
Stephen

galacticprobe

Nov 26, 2010, 08:25 am #13 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010, 08:43 am by galacticprobe
This back wall is most likely not part of the studio building, but rather is "wild"... meaning that it is part of the console room set that is on wheels and rolled into place when needed. In the "Trek" series (all) the bridge set walls were all wild to facilitate filming and camera angles. This console room wall could be out of the way most of the time since that's the most used camera angle, and only moved into place when a camera angle would show it. The bridge for "ST: Voyager" was in a large warehouse with plenty of room around it, and the wall for the main view screen was always rolled out of the way because that's the angles where most of the bridge scenes were filmed. The view screen wall was only rolled into place when they needed it for FX, or if someone walked in front of it, which didn't happen very often.

The 1996 Movie had all of the girders around the console labelled as "All girders must wild", meaning they were all on wheels and could be moved out of the way as needed for filming. Most sets have "wild" parts for just that purpose.

This new console room set probably has all of its walls wild, something they didn't do (or think to do) with the Eccleston/Tennant console room, which is likely why they only built that one as a two-thirds "room" as seen in several behind the scenes photos. The Classic series had console room walls that were wild as seen in the studio floor plans in another thread, and like the aforementioned set it also didn't have that final wall, as seen in this behind the scenes, overhead photo of a Tom Baker story rehearsal.

TBakerOverhead.jpg

So, the 2010 TARDIS console room back wall is mostly likely part of the set rather than the building and kept out of the way, and only rolled into position when needed. (There's probably plenty of room in the studio around that set.) And unless that "back wall" mates with one of the other walls, or has a mark on the floor denoting where it should be, it could end up closer to, or farther away from, the console platform railings when they move it into place.

This is, of course, just my musings on the subject. Any other thoughts?

Dino.

cyberstephen

No, I think you've probably got that about right. To be honest, I never really saw that as being part of the studio wall, but was unsure of what else it could have been.  ;) Thanks for the knowledge on 'wild' walls in terms of set construction; I didn't know much about that terminology before and find it very interesting in the way you've explained how it's been used in other productions.

You've convinced me that its purpose is to fill in a gap otherwise never seen for occasions such as a Dr Who Confidential guided tour of the Tardis set- but that said, I do not believe that it's a new and permanent part of the Tardis interior set proper.
Stephen