Reference Pictures: The Brachacki TARDIS (Original) (1963)

Started by peted, May 09, 2009, 10:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

deck5

The Brachaki prop, behind-the-scenes from The Chase.

chasetardis.jpg

DoctorWho8

"It doesn't roll along on wheels."

You can see the top right of the sign box still shows damage done from the stuff that fell on the prop in Dalek Invasion of Earth.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

geminitimelord

Very nice photo.  I like seeing these, makes me feel more authentic in my effort.

the doctor who2

I don't think anybody's posted about this yet so, I've just been watching the pilot episode and noticed a slight continuity error with the Police Box. When Barbara rushed through the TARDIS door into the console room the window was open but just before hand it was closed.
Look behind Ian at the window and it is quite plainly closed,

1.jpg

2.jpg

Then when Barbara rushes through the door the window is plainly open,

3.jpg

I was a bit surprised when i saw this as i knew it was based on the Metropolitan Police Box design, which has opening windows, but didn't realise it was taken over into the design of the TARDIS.
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2010, 02:50 pm #34 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2010, 02:51 pm by galacticprobe
It's possible that the window popped open when the door was thrust open as Barbara forces her way in. The prop was built for a pilot and the window may have just been held in place by light friction, without a latch.

This is nothing new to any SF series or production, though - the continuity issues, I mean. I the original "Trek" episode where the transporter malfulction creates the evil Kirk (ep title escapes me at the moment), the evil Kirk gets a phaser from a hapless red-shirt, and actually removes the small Phaser 1 module in the scene and use the Phaser 1 as he wanders the ship. Yet, when he confront the "good" Kirk in the engine room, in wide shot he's shown pointing Phaser 1 at good kirk, but on the close-up of his hand he's holding the complete Phaser 2 pistol.

And in "The Empire Strikes Back", as Han Solo is being sent into the carbonite chamber, the alternating shots between him and Leia have him wearing his black open waistcoat in some, and only his white shirt in others. (Note: This continuity error is corrected in the digitally remastered versions with the new FX and extra scenes added for the 20th Anniversary re-release of the films.)

Continuity issues? I fear that as long as there are SF productions, there will be continuity issues. (This also extends to other genres as well, such as police dramas, et al.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

peted

When the Tardis materialises by the river in Dalek Invasion of Earth, you can clearly see the hopper windows are open on the side.

DoctorWho8

Then they shot the scene of Barbara entering the TARDIS, they took the prop apart in half, and put in front of the console room doors.  So it may have popped open then.  During the normal series, the windows would pop open in different stories, like The Rescue.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

hb88banzai

Quote from: the doctor who2 on Oct 03, 2010, 12:31 pm
(snip)
I was a bit surprised when i saw this as i knew it was based on the Metropolitan Police Box design, which has opening windows, but didn't realise it was taken over into the design of the TARDIS.

But of course the front windows on a Police Box didn't open at all - just the sides and back.

markofrani

A few more pictures showing the open front window (the Rescue & The Web Planet).

032.jpg
011.jpg
010.jpg

The original Police Box only had the hopper style windows opening windows on the back and side

markofrani

Nice pic from 'The Savages' showing the outward opening rear doors of the prop...
002-6.jpg

gerald lovell

It's not abundantly clear due to the vaseline they used over the camera lenses for the Vortis landscape scenes, but it does appear that the bottom part of the central bar on this elevation has been broken off as early as "The Web Planet":

vlcsnap-2012-01-24-19h45m48s115.png

zbigniev hamson

Bit hard to tell from that photo, but you can clearly see here it was broken off as early as The Celestial Toymaker.

66b.jpg

galacticprobe

Mar 16, 2012, 05:42 am #43 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
The casters underneath are plainly visible as well. (So much for that old saying...)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Interesting, were the top signs just really shallow or are we looking at a box with bits missing here?

The Chase:
Chase.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.