Apr 20, 2024, 11:10 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Tardis Interior Materialization Lever

Started by cavamatt2, Sep 12, 2010, 07:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cavamatt2

Sep 12, 2010, 07:52 am Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 04:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Does anybody know how to build the new 2010 Materialization/Dematerialization Lever on the new console

AtomsInTime

DoctorWho8

I think he means the cruise ship duel lever control with the lights on the left and right side of the mechanism. Look for a boat or ship speed control.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

slugworth118

Sep 13, 2010, 08:26 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 09:48 pm by Scarfwearer
Is this what you're talking about?

lever.jpg

I was actually wondering myself how to go about making one of these for my console as well. Cool looking prop definitely.

DoctorWho8

Yeah, it's a motorboat duel lever motor controller.  Kind of like this one but more cruiseship-like.
49470_0.gif
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 pm #5 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 09:06 pm by galacticprobe
According to the new "THE TARDIS HANDBOOK" by Steve Tribe, on page 72, the Mat/Demat Fabrication levers are the two red-handled ones on the right-hand side partition of the typewriter panel (or left-hand side of the "Fabrication Panel"):

Almost centered in this photo, courtesy of the link posted under "2010 Console Pics" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50118005@N02/). The photo is on Page 3 of the site and titled "TARDIS Console 5". ("TARDIS Console 6" shows a close-up of the clock above them.)
Mat-DematLevers01.jpg

To their left, the typewriter; to their right, the petrol pump handle, complete with hose. My scanner isn't working at the moment or I'd scan that image to make the levers easier to see. (Maybe someone else can scan that image? No copyright infringement intended with that suggestion - just trying to show a clearer image of the levers in question.)

Not sure what those levers with the lights are for; it's not mentioned in the "Handbook" and at least I haven't been able to determine what they're for, except maybe for increasing power levels?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slugworth118

@galacticprobe, thanks for the info...only a true Whovian would know the TARDIS handbook from cover to cover.

@DoctorWho8, I've been searching on Ebay all day for one of those. Know where I could find one?

galacticprobe

Sep 14, 2010, 03:59 am #7 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 05:18 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: slugworth118 on Sep 14, 2010, 02:42 am
@galacticprobe, thanks for the info...only a true Whovian would know the TARDIS handbook from cover to cover.

@DoctorWho8, I've been searching on Ebay all day for one of those. Know where I could find one?

<Huge smile here that a smilie just doesn't cover!> Thanks for that comment; it made my day (along with a new word I learned: "Beezlebug" - Satan, in the form of a mosquito that enters your bedroom at 3 o'clock in the morning and cannot be cast out!).

As for searching ebay for those throttle levers, you might have better luck perusing a nautical antiques or parts shop. I actually found an almost exact match for the gyro compass repeater from the 9th/10th Doctor Console at an antique shop - little mounting legs and all - and at 150 USD is wasn't a bad price. Problem was "The Evil One's" college tuition was due, as was the mortgage, and it all happened between pay days. (Like I say: Murphy hates me!)

So check shops like that: nautical, antique, or combo of the two. You might have better luck than ebay in that respect. (Or you could check out boat yards to see if they've got any "junk" from scrapped boats lying around; they may let you take it just to get it out of their way.)

You never know.

(And btw, I also pretty much know my way around the Hartnell console as well... Whovian? OH YEAH!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

chizzler

yeah,, im going to ask my electrical mate if he has anything like it, he has boat, nuff said.

boredomino

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 pm
According to the new "THE TARDIS HANDBOOK" by Steve Tribe, on page 72, the Mat/Demat Fabrication levers are the two red-handled ones on the right-hand side partition of the typewriter panel (or left-hand side of the "Fabrication Panel"):

Almost centered in this photo, courtesy of the link posted under "2010 Console Pics" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50118005@N02/). The photo is on Page 3 of the site and titled "TARDIS Console 5". ("TARDIS Console 6" shows a close-up of the clock above them.)
Mat-DematLevers01.jpg

To their left, the typewriter; to their right, the petrol pump handle, complete with hose. My scanner isn't working at the moment or I'd scan that image to make the levers easier to see. (Maybe someone else can scan that image? No copyright infringement intended with that suggestion - just trying to show a clearer image of the levers in question.)

Not sure what those levers with the lights are for; it's not mentioned in the "Handbook" and at least I haven't been able to determine what they're for, except maybe for increasing power levels?

Dino.

The way I see it:

Red Dematerialisation Lever - ignition

Light up twin levers - thrust

There's no point just being able to enter the vortex - you need to be able to amp up the speed and fly through it :)

galacticprobe

Sep 16, 2010, 06:38 am #10 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010, 06:39 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: boredomino on Sep 15, 2010, 09:40 pm

The way I see it:

Red Dematerialisation Lever - ignition

Light up twin levers - thrust

There's no point just being able to enter the vortex - you need to be able to amp up the speed and fly through it :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I just wish we had a way of confirming that, although it did look like that's what River Song was using them for in "The Pandorica Opens". There was enough room on that page in the "Handbook" so I don't know why that control wasn't labelled.

Dino.

type 83

Quote from: slugworth118 on Sep 13, 2010, 08:26 pm
Is this what you're talking about?

lever.jpg

I was actually wondering myself how to go about making one of these for my console as well. Cool looking prop definitely.

That's the space/time throttle.

Not sure which lever's space and which lever's time but it's still a cool prop. I was pretty sure it was the demat/remat switch too.

galacticprobe

Sep 16, 2010, 07:35 pm #12 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010, 07:55 pm by galacticprobe
Type 83, can you cite your source for info regarding the Space/Time throttle belief? It would be very interesting to have something semi solid to go on. So far nothing has explained what that levers-and-lights control is for, other than what we've seen in the very few episodes (and brief scenes) in which they were used.

I thought the way River Song used them in "Pandorica" they were like power level controls, used to increase power as needed (sort of like the five knob-tipped levers on the Hartnell/Troughton console - see Panel 6, Control 3, in this post by The Doctor Who2: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2104.0).

Boredomino had another possible suggestion that they might be for thrust.

And while I agree that it is a very cool-looking part of this console, I hate having to quote myself, but they're definitely not the mat/demat controls.
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 pm

Mat-DematLevers01.jpg

Dino.

type 83

Sep 17, 2010, 06:30 am #13 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2010, 02:30 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 16, 2010, 07:35 pm
Type 83, can you cite your source for info regarding the Space/Time throttle belief? It would be very interesting to have something semi solid to go on.

'Tis from the newest adventure game my friend (not written but probably overseen by the Moff).

Here is part two of a run-through done by my friend. Starting at 8:04 he goes around all the labeled controls and then takes off.

12thdoctor

So check shops like that: nautical, antique, or combo of the two. You might have better luck than ebay in that respect. (Or you could check out boat yards to see if they've got any "junk" from scrapped boats lying around; they may let you take it just to get it out of their way.)
[/quote]

Don't rule out the possibility of airplane parts.  the red ones could be from an aircraft