Apr 25, 2024, 02:33 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Time Monster

Started by rocket, Aug 30, 2010, 08:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket

Aug 30, 2010, 08:40 am Last Edit: Aug 30, 2010, 08:50 am by rocket
So I finally started building my Time Monster Tardis. It's not full size, as I just don't have anywhere to keep a full size Tardis at the moment, so if the admins think this should be in the model build section that's cool. It is however almost 180cm tall and my plan is to one day use it as a door when I build my own console room. I should also point out that it's not exactly to scale either, which is a little hard given the lack of details on this particular model. It's a little on the narrow side for its height, but I'll be taking a bit of creative license with this build anyway, and may even build a mini console in the back of it and a compartment in the front for my Laser Screwdriver "Who'd have sonic". Either way it should be a half decent representation of the real thing.

So anyway, I started with a flat pack wardrobe the screwdriver is on what will be the top:
T1.jpg

Here's the slats going on the top:
T2.jpg

The original only has five slats but mine has seven:
T3.jpg

I've decided to add one slat for each incarnation of the Master (I left out the guy from the start of the McGann movie, we only saw him for 5 seconds anyway) and while two actors played the "decayed" Master, it was still only one incarnation. So basically I'm counting: Roger Delgado, Decayed, Anthony Ainley, Eric Roberts, Derek Jacobi, John Simm, and myself as the 7th Master.

Master.jpg
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

geminitimelord

Looks like an interesting build.

Curious, so how do you qualify as the 7th incarnation of the Master? LOL

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: geminitimelord on Aug 30, 2010, 01:47 pm
Looks like an interesting build.

Well, when I worked at the Beeb, one colleague always referred to me as the master, simply on the principle that I had a goatee, so I guess anything is possible :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

superrichi1a

This is a breath of fresh air. For once, it's nice to see someone building something other than a Police Box (not that I don't love Police Boxes, that's what I'm here for, it's just nice to see someone building something different), I'm curious, how are you going to do the door? Will it open and close on, say, sliders? Or remain open, I admit I'm not sure what which way I would go about doing that.
Finally, your building a console room? Wow, how big will it be, and what sort? Ballpark Scarfwarer?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

rocket

Aug 30, 2010, 10:00 pm #4 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010, 12:49 pm by rocket
Quote from: geminitimelord on Aug 30, 2010, 01:47 pm

Well I figure if some of you can claim to be future incarnations of the Doctor, I can be a future incarnation of the Master ;)

Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 30, 2010, 04:46 pm
This is a breath of fresh air. For once, it's nice to see someone building something other than a Police Box (not that I don't love Police Boxes, that's what I'm here for, it's just nice to see someone building something different), I'm curious, how are you going to do the door? Will it open and close on, say, sliders? Or remain open, I admit I'm not sure what which way I would go about doing that.
Finally, your building a console room? Wow, how big will it be, and what sort? Ballpark Scarfwarer?

And as for the console room, nothing is set in stone, but I'm determined it will happen one day. It will probably just be a redesign of my home office rather than a full scale detailed replica like Scarfwearer's.

exleo

Aug 31, 2010, 01:18 am #5 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010, 01:24 am by exleo
180cm tall sounds pretty big to me but then at the moment I have no idea how big the real thing was....Having not been lucky enough to see the episodes this TARDIS comes from,I, for one would be interested if anybody can post some screen grabs or pictures of what you are aiming for in this build...

Keep up the good work though, and I agree it's always nice to see sombody tackle another prop idea, especially an alternate TARDIS exterior (Pipe Organ anybody ;) )

*EDIT* ok just found the other posting with the screen grabs on.....it was a HUGE prop :o

rocket

Didn't have a lot of spare time today, but I did get the support panels on. These will be used to attach a flat panel, then all the detailed stuff. You can also see the extension cord I'll be using to power this beast.
T4.jpg

type55tardis

Nice to see another tardis shape coming to life :)
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

chriskingbees

Originality is thy name  :) Or maybe Rocket, or maybe something else like "Master"
Goodness I remember loading the tapes into those babies back in the 70s 8)

Keep it coming ol' son, great stuff.

KB

rocket

As much as I wanted to continue working on the front panel, I really needed to do a bit on the inside first. As I mentioned in the initial post, I'm planning to put a mini console in the back. I will eventually build a full size console, but I just don't have anywhere to store one at the moment. So anyway I decided the console in the back will be designed to look like one panel from a full console.

Here's the area I'll be putting the panel in:
C1.jpg

Support brackets added, along with the power board for all the electric goodies:
C2.jpg

And the panel in place, it's not bolted down so it can be easily removed if needed:
C3.jpg

The rear panel and shelves installed, I'll probably put some little iPod speakers up here:
C4.jpg

I'll be adding some trim to the sides to get the classic panel shape, and probably do some sort of scanner in the background. Not sure what to put on the panel yet. I want everything on there to actually do something, rather than just sit there and look pretty.

rocket

Sep 02, 2010, 08:23 am #10 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 12:36 pm by rocket
Things are coming together nicely now, today I put the main panels on:
T5.jpg

And you can see I've decided to put a compartment behind the panel on the right:
T6.jpg

There'll be various electronic items behind the panel, more updates coming soon...

geminitimelord

This is really looking good.

rocket

Thanks  :D Didn't get a chance to work on it today, and probably won't for a few more days. But next week the detail work begins. Scored a couple of reel tapes on ebay for bugger all, hopefully they'll be here soon.

rocket

Well it seems I did have time to slip out and work on my Tardis for a little while today. Couldn't achieve much though as I really need to get to the hardware store first.

But I did get on the rear panel behind the access panel on the front:
C5.jpg

And of course it will slide open so I can work on the electronic bits I plan to house in there:
C6.jpg

type55tardis

Hi nice to see another alternative build ,after viewing the time monster recently I created an approximation of the masters tardis take off and landing sound (from the time monster),I will be uploading it to my site Tardis sounds (in the links section) please feel free to copy it.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?