Apr 20, 2024, 06:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Fob watch

Started by mugsyuk, Aug 16, 2007, 03:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mugsyuk

Aug 16, 2007, 03:12 pm Last Edit: Oct 16, 2012, 06:34 pm by Scarfwearer
Has anyone got any ideas on how to construct one of these, well the cases for one? Well assuming that fibre glass is too clunky I'm assuming some kind of resin but most of the stuff I'm aware of is way to brittle

milner08

Aug 16, 2007, 04:37 pm #1 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
If they did it the same way as the masters ring (which is probablely what they did as it looks very detailed) then it was laser engraved.

TM :)

mugsyuk

Aug 16, 2007, 07:15 pm #2 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Yea it would have to have been something that delicate but I'm sure there must bea work round, surprsingly its not the detail i think is the problem but more finding the right material to use. Now I thing of it , it appears the deatil is too deep into the case for laser etching so I'm guessing it its a resin mould

I cant believe they used metal on the prop its probably some sort or cast, but i was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable alternative to the usually brittle resin.

I might even have to be a rubber case

hal9000

Aug 17, 2007, 10:37 pm #3 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
from looking at the pic's the inside of the pocket watch in built into a larger case, the outside top plate is made of different stuff than rest, and has been fixed to it. are the markings laser etched?
you can get a pocket watch that has a flat front to fix the time lord icon onto off Ebay, but the inside, 12 is different way, in fact a lot of pocket watches have the 12 not where the button to open is but 45degs to it, some pocket watches have 3 opening covers one on front 2 on back the first is the back we all see then inside is another to cover the movement, this is what wee see on the doctors watch etc, the inside one allowing you to ajust things but still keeping dust off the workings, it has no back cover. as for the colour a cheap pocket watch the gold colour comes off and leaves you with the cast colour as with the doctors.

flaming cog

Aug 18, 2007, 09:50 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
What about making a mold and filling it with pewter.
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

oddkins

Aug 19, 2007, 01:07 am #5 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
What is attached to the chain? Am I to assume that the pocket wtach was wound with a key?

If that's the case, replicating an actual working model will prove to be more difficult but still doable.  As for the offset of the numerals on the face if its supposed to be that way would not be a problem if you used an antique key driven watch.

Anyone have a copy of just the design on the pocket watch?  Otherwise I will get to work on copying the image into a image file from scratch.

mugsyuk

Aug 19, 2007, 02:33 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
I've had a good look for a better image and I cant find anything thats clearer. Having looked into it the watch (case and mech) can be picked up very cheaply off ebay, and the more I look as the prop I'm sure its been clad, ie they had clipped something onto the top of the existing case.

With reguards the face, even assuming it was a working prop, which it might not have been, spinning the face shouldnt be a problem anyway as long as its a standard mechanism. If the face is turned 270 degrees then as long as the hands show what wouold have been 8.45 when its 12.00 thatwould sort it all out. Unless of course it chimes or has an extra function.

So it all comes back to the cladding and finding an appropriate substance to clamp it and also making a negative mould. For the mould making I'm guessing some form of alginate might be useful but its finding the right compound to make the cover. I'm looking into casting with the alumite stuff but I've never used it before, anyone on here had experience with it?

flaming cog

Aug 19, 2007, 05:55 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
Good idea ;)
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

greatwazoo42

How does the metal "Master's Fob Watch" compare to the original prop?