Apr 25, 2024, 06:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kevin's TARDIS Build

Started by ozzywald, Aug 27, 2010, 05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzywald

Thanks for all the advice, Should see some more progress soon, as i build the Corner posts, and as i have done with all the sections so far, seal & undercoat every piece on all edges, it's a must in this British weather, the base is standing outside at the moment (edge on, with a cover over) seems to ok so far, although i have seen some of weather damage possible on the weatherproofing sub board, which in fact prompted me to take steps, to weatherproof it.

Cheers
Kevin

superrichi1a

Actually, us Brits have is lucky. In some parts of the USA they get weeks of torential, unending rain, and the humidity level if up high, a killer for a poor Police Box, mordrogyn knows a bit about that :(
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

cathlyn847

Quote from: ozzywald on Aug 27, 2010, 09:08 pm
Yes, using the excellent 'TARDIS Builders workshop manual',

Is this a real book?  :o  If so, what's the ISBN?
If it's an underground publication, is it still available?  & who do I contact?
What would the Doctor do?

acquiesce

Sep 02, 2010, 08:01 pm #18 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 08:05 pm by acquiesce
Quote from: cathlyn847 on Sep 02, 2010, 07:54 pm
Quote from: ozzywald on Aug 27, 2010, 09:08 pm
Yes, using the excellent 'TARDIS Builders workshop manual',

Is this a real book?  :o  If so, what's the ISBN?
If it's an underground publication, is it still available?  & who do I contact?

here you go

http://www.relative-dimensions.net/TARDISbuildersMANUALbyGLENWALKER.pdf
;D

great manual glen is certainly a superstar
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

cathlyn847

What would the Doctor do?

ozzywald

an excellent read, but as with most things, different people have different ways of doing things, i used the manual as a starting point, and following the dimensions in the reference section, drew up my plans.

ozzywald

Hi everybody,

it's been a while but finally got around to building the Corner posts, then guess what?, whilst cutting the wood
in the shed,fell off the chair (well actually the leg broke) and Broke my thumb, well long story short, i now have 4 posts, just finishing them off ( carefully), so to all you TARDIS Builders please be extra careful and think safety first DIY second.

Heres a picture of One of the finished posts, hope assemble with base soon.

Sdc10485_small.jpg

superrichi1a

Great to see this build back on the road! Not job, from what I can see.
Are you still using Dulux "Wild Water 1" to paint your TARDIS? I have a post coming later in my thread about choosing my blue colour, and Wild Water 1 was one of the colours I tested. I must say, on the card it looked promising, but, when actually dried, it was FAR lighter than the card sampler. I realise that colour levels on a camera may not be exact (mine certainly aren't), but, yours looks slightly lighter too, but not so much as mine. What is it like having a whole piece painted? I only did part of a signbox to test so I can't judge that accuratly what the whole box might be like.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

ozzywald

Your right the colour on a camera doesn't look right, but to my eye it does indeed look darker, and i guess
it depends on the light too, it seems fine to me, although if it were for the 2010 box, it think i would be too light, as that seems much darker to me, only time will tell if it looks right, once the weathering is done.

I also used a Dark Grey undercoat, i'm not sure if that made a difference to the final colour.

Hope this is a help in choosing your colour.

ozzywald

Mar 16, 2011, 06:14 pm #24 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:16 pm by ozzywald
Ok, here in my shed is the 4 posts which actually freestanding on the photo, since then i've made
fixings into the base to hold them sturdy as each post weighs 4kg.

Kevin
Tardis_Rough assembley1.jpg

ozzywald

Just a small update, i have made the roof stage 1 section (pictured) and have the plywood sheets cutout for the walls, almost completed one wall now ,the plywood i'm using is 12mm, and came from the building site a few doors away, infact i've used quite a lot of stuff, they've thrown away, i also now have 3 of my signboxes completed, more pictures to follow, please feel free to comment.

Sdc10593_quart.jpgSdc10606_Quart.jpgSdc10610_Quart.jpg

ozzywald

May 25, 2011, 05:32 pm #26 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:02 pm by Scarfwearer
Another update and i feel i'm getting closer now, here are the wall panels in a finished none painted/painted state and a pre assembly of a couple of wall panels, just to check they fit..Lol

Kevin
:)WallPanelA.jpgPre-assembly1.jpg

superrichi1a

May 25, 2011, 06:01 pm #27 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:02 pm by superrichi1a
Your builds looking fantastic, Kevin, nice an chunky, a quality my box seems to lack... annoyingly lol :)
Quick question, thats a New Series style bevel you've got on the sides there, personal preference?

ozzywald

May 25, 2011, 08:39 pm #28 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:41 pm by ozzywald
Thanks,

Yes, the bevels were one of the most tricky parts to do, i made a router table from an old table and router, then spent some time experimenting with it on off cuts, the bevels look quite nice, if you don't look too closely, i think i's recommend to anyone serious about building a box to get a table saw/table router.

I wouldn't say it was personal preference, just happened to be the way they came out, quite pleased with the effect though.

Ohh well only 1 more wall to make and the doors section, then 7 more windows and i should be finished.

Cheers
Kevin
:)

superrichi1a

Aaahh, OK, I always think whatever box you are doing, if you want to make it look chunky and solid, all you need to do is add that bevel. Iwould have doneit to mine, unfortunatly, I don't have the equipment or techie know-how... still, if I ever get another shot at TARDIS building...