Apr 19, 2024, 11:42 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis Main Doors

Started by jimbobridger, Aug 24, 2010, 03:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbobridger

Aug 24, 2010, 03:33 pm Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 03:36 pm by jimbobridger
Sorry, i'm new to this forum but i'm good at making CGI effects etc.
I am trying to make some TARDIS Effects but i don't have the sound file for the Doors which is the main part of my project.
I am mainly looking for New Series (1 to 5) door sound but the Classic Series would do.
eoda11728.jpg

And of course the finished project will be posted up on this forum!

Thanks
Jimbo.
Jimbo Bridger

Scarfwearer

We have a sub-board for that! [ref board=92]TARDIS Sound Effects[/ref].

There's at least one door sound on http://www.dwwa.net/tardis.htm

Also check here: [ref topic=1404]Tardis Sounds/Tardis Builders Yahoo Group[/ref]

Crispin

mordrogyn

Aug 24, 2010, 06:34 pm #2 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 06:34 pm by mordrogyn
Classic TARDIS doors
It's a wma file I'm afraid
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

type 83

The new series 1-5 door sound?
It's just a wooden door.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: type 83 on Aug 24, 2010, 06:51 pm
It's just a wooden door.

Many of the sounds you hear on the show are edited in afterward. In the first four seasons, there was a very characteristic creaking sound to the door which was almost certainly added later. I've not noticed it in Season 5, so presumably they're not using it any more.

Crispin

exleo

They just had a confidential repeat on BBC3 after the first Silurian episode of 2010, and The Sound Engineer stated (to confirm Crispin) That they are no longer using the 'Door Creak' from the first 4 series, the door is now silent!!
How Kind of the BBC to time this confidential with this posting....LOL

galacticprobe

Aug 24, 2010, 10:29 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 10:29 pm by galacticprobe
Well, it only makes sense that the 2010 TARDIS doors would be silent, if you think about it. She'd recently "rebuilt" herself, so along with all of the other new stuff she's also given herself new door hinges, ergo they wouldn't squeak. (She's a smart Old Girl and wouldn't skimp on her doors' hinges.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

jimbobridger

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 24, 2010, 07:25 pm
It's just a wooden door.

Many of the sounds you hear on the show are edited in afterward. In the first four seasons, there was a very characteristic creaking sound to the door which was almost certainly added later. I've not noticed it in Season 5, so presumably they're not using it any more.

Crispin

Yes many of the door sounds are edited to put in the door creek.
I have noticed that too, and that is the type of sound i need, one with a creek.
Jimbo Bridger

type 83

Quote from: jimbobridger on Aug 25, 2010, 12:34 am
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 24, 2010, 07:25 pm
It's just a wooden door.

Crispin

Yes many of the door sounds are edited to put in the door creek.
I have noticed that too, and that is the type of sound i need, one with a creek.

OH!
Have you tried googling 'door creak sound'?

wayne venomous

One of the recent issues of Doctor Who Adventures magazine has a feature on the person who makes the sound effects. It doesn't have any mention of the TARDIS door sound effects but it's an interesting read none the less.

Things like the Ood's tenticles are actually sausages being slapped on the hand and the sound of the Sonic Screwdriver being handled is actually a pair of mole grips (I had to try this out with a pair of mole grips - the sound is spot on!)

galacticprobe

Sep 27, 2010, 05:18 am #10 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010, 05:18 am by galacticprobe
My son's bedroom door used to make the exact creaking sound of the TARDIS doors. Sadly, as he is so fond of raiding the kitchen at 2 in the morning, it was waking the whole house and I was forced to apply a few drops of oil to the hinges so we could get some sleep.

So if anyone is looking to recreate the sound on their own, try pulling one of your doors' hinge pins, wiping them dry, and adding a little water to them before putting them back in, and then letting them sit for a day or so. (Don't get over anxious with this; do one pin at a time so you don't have a door fall on your head.)

You should get a good creak out of the hinges soon enough. (Then depending on which door you've chosen and how annoying the creaking is, you can always clean the hinge pins and oil them up again after you've recorded your sounds.) I hadn't recorded the creak as I wasn't overly fond of the sound, but when I finally get a box built, if I want the doors to creak, then I'll just perform the above on their hinge pins.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

Hang on, I could have sworn I heard the door creak in The Almost People. Am I wrong?

invadrzim

Actually i went back through the episodes and checked. Its actually been creaking since just after the opening titles in The Doctors Wife. It creaks then, and it creaks in The Rebel Flesh and it creaks every single time in The Almost People.

Looks like the creak is back