Apr 25, 2024, 02:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tardis Fragment

Started by rocket, Aug 22, 2010, 04:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket

Aug 22, 2010, 04:33 am Last Edit: Sep 28, 2012, 04:45 pm by Scarfwearer
Figured I might as well use the scraps from my model build for something, and this would look good on the wall in my studio:

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So I took a picture from the web and enlarged it to roughly real size, I judged the size by placing my thumb over Matt's in the picture. Then cut it out and added the door frame. Next I whacked it against the blade of my jigsaw a few times to rough up the edges, nearly lost a finger too, lol.

Next job will be painting, and get the letters made up at the local sign writers. Then I'll go around the edges with my little blow torch.

tardis-fragment.jpg
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

slugworth118

This is such a unique and interesting prop...I think it's gonna look great when it's done.

superrichi1a

Nice! I was thinking of doing one of these, and, seeing yours, has given me the inspiration to do it! thanks :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

the_temporal_mechanic

Nice work there!  Brilliant way of laying out the size by the way...

rocket

Thanks guys, glad you all like it. I was planning on painting it today, but it's a cold rainy day. So probably won't get anymore done for a few days. But I did go visit the sign writers yesterday to arrange the lettering, it should be ready tomorrow.

rocket

Just a quick update. The weather is still miserable here, but I did pick up the lettering from the sign writers today:

100_1917.jpg

rocket

Aug 25, 2010, 03:28 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 06:19 am by rocket
Finally got the painting done, next will be scorching the edges...

5.jpg

The paint we mixed up looked perfect, but as it dried it got really dark. It's still blue, but a lot darker blue than I intended. Never mind, once the scorching is done it should look pretty good, I hope.

the_temporal_mechanic

Oh paint.  So funny the colors change so much as it dries down.  Great looking work man.  I may have a go at a similar project myself.

galacticprobe

Aug 25, 2010, 05:20 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 05:20 pm by galacticprobe
This is looking great so far. (And so what if the blue is a little dark? It's a fragment of something that "exploded"... you'd expect it to be a little dark with scorching and sooting.) I can't wait to see this one when it's finished.

And it's my cat-like curiosity, but what are the measurements of the fragment. Could you post a photo of it next to a ruler for reference?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rocket

Aug 26, 2010, 02:10 am #9 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 02:12 am by rocket
I decided to give it another coat of paint in a slightly lighter shade, laid on pretty thick to give it some texture too. Really happy with the colour now. I've done the scorching around the edges, although I might need to do a bit more along the top. I know the original has more burn marks on the blue, but I like it as is, so I dunno....

6.jpg

And I took the latest picture with a ruler beside it as requested.  ;)

exleo

Looking good but as you say it needs a bit more dirtying up, dry a little black paint applied with a dry brush just to make it look sooty like the original bit....definately a better blue now though :)
And if you don't know how to dry brush, just look it up on google and it'll tell you how to get the effect needed ;)

rocket

Aug 26, 2010, 02:47 am #11 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 05:14 pm by Scarfwearer
Gave it another hit with the blowtorch, pretty happy with it now although I might still dry brush it a bit. Couldn't resist adding the lettering though, and I'm pretty damn pleased with how it's looking.

7.jpg

exleo

Looking great with the lettering on...well done indeed...but it does need a bit of dirtying in areas as the white is very bright...plus, with the spacing of the lettering you should just be able to see the back straight of the letter L in 'TELEPHONE', so just blacken up that area a bit to cover that gap....
But thats me being picky..lol
Again, well done on this, a nice little, but important, prop :)

rocket

Yeah you're right about the L, I should have moved it over a bit more. Same with the line below, you should be able to see a bit of the E as well. But I'll dirty all the white up and and noone will ever know the difference. It certainly does need some more soot all over the white part, and I'll make that a priority over the next few days.

exleo

Yep I can see you are right about the 'E' too..... all you need is to give the edges at those points a heavier burned look right up to the edge of the existing letters and it will look perfect..... I was also looking at your initial printed version and there is quite a lot of heavy black soot on the white around the edge butting up to the Blue Door frame...... my sugestion on adding more 'soot' would be to go slow though and add very sparingly until it looks right, better to put too little on than too much as it is easier to add to rather than find you have gone too far and it is too dark...
This needs a nice clear plexi glass display stand after to really show it off...

Again WELL DONE! ;D