Apr 19, 2024, 01:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

K-9 Redesign build

Started by exleo, Aug 05, 2010, 04:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ravage

i like your thoughts on k9 and you start him i will be keepin an eye on your build as i said i enjoyed reading it and would like to see how your  k9 turns out great work so far

karsthotep

exleo, any updates  on your K-9 refit?  This particular redesign is awesome and looking forward to see it come to fruition. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

exleo

yep am busy sanding the interior support skeleton right t this very minute, so pics to follow as soon as I get that job finished :)

I'm really pleased at the positive reaction to the design ;D

karsthotep

Quote from: exleo on Aug 19, 2010, 05:36 pm
yep am busy sanding the interior support skeleton right t this very minute, so pics to follow as soon as I get that job finished :)

I'm really pleased at the positive reaction to the design ;D

Are you kidding, its brilliant why wouldn't we :).  I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the support structure.  I really like this design and will probably ping you on this later on as I would really like permission to replicate this version as well.  The cladding that you are using, is it more of a stryrene or plasticard type material? 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

exleo

Just a quick verbal update... RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN!! I have reached a point where I need to do the next step outside for ventilation purposes and it is doing nothing but raining!!! RAIN has stopped play and it's very frustrating!! As soon as we have a dry day I can get out there and progress can begin again. Once the next step is complete it will all be indoor work so hopefully progress will race along.
Still at least it has given me time to source LED lighting systems, and RC servos etc for the internals and also functioning monitor screen (yaaay)
I just want to get on with it now....

STOP ******* RAINING!!!!!!!

mee

I love the futuristic render, what a great idea. I really look forward to see what the final build comes out like. I was considering a futuristic Astromech/K9 hybred build as my next project and this has certainly inspired some new ideas.
Mark

superrichi1a

Ahhh, you know, I often wondered what K9 would do if it rained. Presumably, he would be rather water-proof, but what would happen when the rain gets splashed into his wheel-arches by the spinning of the wheels, or if it leaked in through the buttons? Actually, the Dalek has the same problem, the neck bin isn't designed to be waterproof. Just te be on the safe side... why don't you design a futuristic umbrella to go with him?
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

exleo

LOL not sure how aerodynamic an unbrella on the back would be!!

for my build the exterior when finished will be weather proof and sealed from the rain on the upper shell/head etc
The underside is going to have a layer of rubber on it to protect that, and, to stop water splashing up through the wheel holes affecting the electrics I am seperating the interior into two chambers, the lower one will contain the drive motors and wheels that can handle any possible ground moisture and then there will be a shelf half way up that all the electrics will be ontop of so hopefully more protected and also making best use of the limited space inside....

cyberstephen

My first thought was 'if it ain't broke why fix it' but I've kind of warmed to the idea of your re-imagined K-9. I love the way you've thought of making more of a feature of the control pad on his back by having it emerge from a slightly larger black surface on his back and this balances well with the black panel on the sides of the head.

Will be exciting to see it come to life from the Photoshop renderings!

S
Stephen

daleknut

what a brilliant idea can't wait to see your progress can you tell me what your using to build your K-9

greatwazoo42

AWESOME!!!  Keep up the good work!

exleo

Quote from: daleknut on Dec 08, 2010, 01:22 pm
what a brilliant idea can't wait to see your progress can you tell me what your using to build your K-9

The main shell is made from 3mm foamboard or sintra as it is sometimes called, bought an 8x4 sheet off ebay for £14 and it was enough to get everything out of...

work on the project has slowed down of late for no other reason than it is too cold to be working out in the shed and can only bear it out there for an hour at most...VERY annoying.... but hope to post some pics in the next couple of weeks of the completed unpainted shell......

flaming cog

Anymore news on this project?
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

DoctorWho8

I was thinking of the same thing.  Did you get any further with this or did it not work out?
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

exleo

Thanks for your enquieries guys, and funny you should ask now! It's been a very quiet time on the build over winter due to the cold extreme weather making the workshop unbearable plus not wanting to risk trying to get adhesives to work in cold temperatures ??? BUT Spring sprang with avengence last week and I was able to crack on with the build so updated pictures and diary in the next week... thanks for staying interested ;D