New, New TardisBuilders!

Hi, First Post, Mallorie's Build

Started by mallorienasrallah, Jul 26, 2010, 12:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

totallysonic1

Jul 30, 2010, 11:28 pm #45 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 11:29 pm by totallysonic1
Plans?

Start here...http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/home.html

Glen's manual has been an invaluable resource for me!!

mallorienasrallah

Quote from: kiwidoc on Jul 27, 2010, 12:27 am
Hi Mallorie - that's great work for a first build and especially with the amount of time and limited tools you have available!  Glad to hear you'ev got safety glasses now - they seem like a pain when they're fogging up but when you have a near miss you suddenly feel a lot of affection for them (especially in your line of work)!

Love that you're planning a photo-shoot, a TARDIS in the desert would be brilliant!  Feel free to ask as many question as you like, there are a lot of really smart and helpful people here and they're all keen to help out if they can - though it looks like you're doing really well all by yourself there.

Welcome to the ranks of the TARDIS Builders.

- Glen

Just saw this comment, wanted to say I will absolutely make sure you guys see the Tardis in action in a photoshoot, The support from this community has solidified my thoughts on whether or not it could work, now it *must* happen.

DoctorWho8

Hey Mal, and easy fix for your doors is to take the bit you added to the left side of the left door and cut it in half.  Then put each half on the inside of each door with some glue and biscuits, reattach your center divider and voila!  See my Photoshop fix for inspiration.
Bill "the Doctor" RudloffIMG_4528.jpg

mallorienasrallah

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Aug 01, 2010, 04:12 am
Hey Mal, and easy fix for your doors is to take the bit you added to the left side of the left door and cut it in half.  Then put each half on the inside of each door with some glue and biscuits, reattach your center divider and voila! 

sadly I lack the tools to make biscuit joints, I have only a jig saw for cutting, my eventual plan is to simply re-make the doors because as of right now all the strips added to the inside of the doors are held on only with wood glue and I do not find this acceptable, so in making the new door i will simply cut the plywood to the correct size and use the vertical wood I have already cut, thus only necessitating 4 new horizontal pieces which can be cut pretty easily.

I just cant talk my husband in to letting me buy any more wood at the moment, or turn the living room in to a construction site again.

mordrogyn

You can't convince your husband to let you buy more wood and turn the living room into a construction site again????
Come now, surely you would have an easier time than most of the guys on here would have convincing their wives lol
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

galacticprobe

Aug 01, 2010, 04:52 am #50 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2010, 04:56 am by galacticprobe
You could develop a headache, a serious one, really, really bad one that just won't go away until you can relieve some stress, and that biscuit cutter and lumber would help you to do that.

(I wouldn't say my wife used that tactic on me, at least not with lumber, but there were these piles of clothes that needed washing, piled up from the kids who kept them in their rooms instead of using the hamper...)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

mallorienasrallah

Quote from: mordrogyn on Aug 01, 2010, 04:46 am
You can't convince your husband to let you buy more wood and turn the living room into a construction site again????
Come now, surely you would have an easier time than most of the guys on here would have convincing their wives lol

He hates Doctor Who, therefore not only did I have to do a lot of begging in the first place I had to make a valid non Doctor Who case for having a giant blue box in the house...
this was hard enough, add on to that his frustration with the mess making it made and now you have a situation where I would have to make a valid case for wanting to make the mess again and this time only for visual effect reasons, seeing as the box functions as a box even with a funny door, I have no ground to stand on. 

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 01, 2010, 04:52 am
You could develop a headache, a serious one, really, really bad one that just won't go away until you can relieve some stress, and that biscuit cutter and lumber would help you to do that.

(I wouldn't say my wife used that tactic on me, at least not with lumber, but there were these piles of clothes that needed washing, piled up from the kids who kept them in their rooms instead of using the hamper...)

Dino.

this would require I do less around the house than I already do, and it would take sci-fi to fathom up a situation where I actually do less ;)

I figure in a few months I should have the money for it, sans begging, at which point  I can both feel good about the project and not have to be guilted :D

totallysonic1

Quote from: kiwidoc on Aug 01, 2010, 06:06 am
Quote from: totallysonic1 on Jul 30, 2010, 11:28 pm
Plans?

Start here...http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/home.html

Glen's manual has been an invaluable resource for me!!

Thanks - Glen

Credit where credit is due, I say! ;)

As far as convincing spouses go...I tried every logic from book/video storage, to a play area for our son when he's old enough....but in the end, I just had to let the missus believe that I was merely a raving nutter...which isn't too completely wrong!  ;D

geminitimelord

Hmmm, I would tell him you are going to Upgrade.... Let him decide if that means the TARDIS or ???????

ahorse41bin

Two things:

For what you had to work with -minus the bag over your head, and the fact that its your first build, I think it looks pretty awsome. I don't even have one yet. Things of this nature are rarely ever "completed". Always in a state of flux if you will.

Secondly...... I would absolutely DIE if my wife wanted to take up a project like this. I'd be behind her on it 150%.

Thanks for sharing and KBO!

mallorienasrallah

Quote from: ahorse41bin on Aug 04, 2010, 06:41 pm
Two things:

For what you had to work with -minus the bag over your head, and the fact that its your first build, I think it looks pretty awsome. I don't even have one yet. Things of this nature are rarely ever "completed". Always in a state of flux if you will.

Secondly...... I would absolutely DIE if my wife wanted to take up a project like this. I'd be behind her on it 150%.

Thanks for sharing and KBO!

Thats why I built it so fast, part of me knew I wouldn't finish it if i let the momentum die...that and the husband telling me to finish it.

This isn't my first endeavor of this kind, I have made props before, granted none of them were more than superficial and very very flimsy...still if i let the momentum die I never finished. you have to get it while the getting is good :D