5th Doctor's (Season 20) TARDIS console

Started by the doctor who2, Jul 21, 2010, 11:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

Oct 11, 2010, 06:10 pm #15 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 06:13 pm by the doctor who2
Thanks for all the great comments means a lot that people like what i do.
Quote from: exleo on Sep 02, 2010, 07:14 pm
hopefully you'll build a console room with the same attention to detail

I am planning on making a console room for the console, it just wouldn't be right without it.
So I've finally managed to gather all my materials, except the acetate which i can easily get hold of, to attempt another time rotor, should be fun. so whilst i prepare the materials I'll post the old rotor on the console,

DSCF1994.JPG

DSCF1997.JPG

DSCF1993.JPG

Now to me the current rotor looked a little on the tall side, unless that's just me i don't know, but heres the rotor with the light switched on.

DSCF1998.JPG

Camera Photos 006.jpg

Camera Photos 008.jpg

So in the next few weeks i should have gotten well into the building of the new rotor. and if anyones got any ideas of other ways of making this rotor or any improvements i can make i would love to hear them.  :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

the doctor who2

Right after a long rest on this model I've now started doing it again determined to finish it, having been sat in a box for nearly a year. Anyway I've started to make a 2nd Time rotor using slightly different materials to what i used in the first one, this should, hopefully, make it easier to make and look better. Unlike the last one I'm making sure i take plenty of photos.

Right first thing i did was decide on how to make this one and what materials, the last time i made the main supports out of the plastic pipes used in BIC pens but they are a bit frosted and didn't look right, so now i went to my local model shop and picked up some acrylic/perspex rods,

DSCF5088.JPG

Unfortunately the first two are too thick which was a shame as i wanted to use the orange ones as the lights in the rotor. but the last piece was perfect for what i wanted and started to cut it to size,

DSCF5081.JPG

and so started to stick the pieces to the stars, on the last one i made i used PVA which took to long to dry and wasn't very sturdy so this time i used super glue which has worked a treat, apart from the fact it dries on contact and i have very shaky hands  ;D

DSCF5084.JPG

DSCF5086.JPG

Well that's it for the moment but i will keep you updated on any developments  :)

Kingpin

Not bad start so far, whenever the physical store doesn't have acrylic rod in an appropriate size, I've found a couple of pretty good suppliers through eBay.

That graphic you're working from in the second two photos, does that contain each tier of the Rotor?  Was it something sourced from this forum, or something you'd put together yourself?

the doctor who2

Aug 04, 2011, 07:11 pm #18 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 07:25 pm by the doctor who2
Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 03, 2011, 05:59 pm
Not bad start so far, whenever the physical store doesn't have acrylic rod in an appropriate size, I've found a couple of pretty good suppliers through eBay.

That graphic you're working from in the second two photos, does that contain each tier of the Rotor?  Was it something sourced from this forum, or something you'd put together yourself?

Thanks Kingpin it's looking better then the last one i attempted.

I did try looking on eBay but i must have not looked hard enough, ill have to have another look for future references if i need some again.

The 'graphic' i used was of my own design and contains each of the 12 or so tiers. I did use an image to help, and i did acquire this from this site. ill have to have a look in a minute to see if i can find who it belongs to :)
Heres the image in question,

TimeRotor full.jpg

EDIT Right ive managed to find out who produced this it was a member called 'Lungman' and heres the link to this,
http://tardisboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=discussconsoles&action=display&thread=1408
it's right at the bottom of the page :)

Kingpin

Aug 04, 2011, 09:16 pm #19 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 09:17 pm by Kingpin
Thanks.  I was actually curious if you had a graphic which had all the tiers separated, as they're a little bit difficult to extrapolate when combined.

As you may've guessed, I'm building a archive of information as I'm contemplating building a scale model myself.

the doctor who2

Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 04, 2011, 09:16 pm
Thanks.  I was actually curious if you had a graphic which had all the tiers separated, as they're a little bit difficult to extrapolate when combined.

As you may've guessed, I'm building a archive of information as I'm contemplating building a scale model myself.

Well this might help a little with your archiving, heres the graphic in question,

Five Doctor's Time Rotor Tiers (The Doctor WHO2).JPG

Well I've done a few more levels to the rotor and started to add the strips in the centre, since i couldn't use the perspex rods i decided to just use simple dowel and just paint it the colour i chose,
Heres the orange pieces,

DSCF5089.JPG

and heres the white and orange pieces together,

DSCF5091.JPG

Heres also a bit of info on how i make my stars , i first use the graphic above and blue-tac it to the sheet of acetate,

DSCF5098.JPG

And if i need holes in the acetate i draw the positions on the paper and use a punch, well its supposed to be a leather punch but it still works :),

DSCF5099.JPG

and the cut around the outline with either a pair of scissors or a craft knife.
Anyway heres how far I've got with the actual rotor, I've added another 3 tiers and started to position the coloured rods,

DSCF5092.JPG

DSCF5097.JPG

DSCF5103.JPG

It's slowly taking shape :)

Kingpin

Aug 05, 2011, 06:23 pm #21 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011, 08:03 pm by Kingpin
Acetate!  That's crazy!

I honestly thought it was a very, very thin sheet of plastic... but then, it's not all that different from the stuff used in packaging.

Thanks for posting the graphic, it'll be a huge help. :)

Like I found with my umbrella build, the second effort is proving to be much closer to what we're going for.

Edit: Interesting, although too late to implement in this new build I suspect... but the stars of the rotor don't actually end in a point!  Each length ends in a perpendicular straight edge:

53348081.jpg

There are also some additional clear rods surrounding the central lighting rig which don't seem to join up with any of the tiers at all.  Looks like there could be five placed within each gap.

galacticprobe

Aug 06, 2011, 06:06 am #22 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011, 06:08 am by galacticprobe
If that star pattern of the column is made from acetate, it should be thin enough that - with a little patience and a careful hand - a nail clipper should be able to "square off" the ends of those points. At that scale the slight curve of the clipper wouldn't be noticed and you'd get that flat tip Kingpin is talking about (and showing in that photo).

As to the number of vertical rods between the tiers, I think there are enough to get the idea and look across, especially as when you look at it the column looks like a forest of clear rods. It's just the tips of the star tiers that stick out with their points, and if you've got the nerve the above suggestion should take care of that.

Just a thought.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the doctor who2

Aug 13, 2011, 05:53 pm #23 Last Edit: Aug 13, 2011, 06:01 pm by the doctor who2
Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 05, 2011, 06:23 pm
Acetate!  That's crazy!
I honestly thought it was a very, very thin sheet of plastic... but then, it's not all that different from the stuff used in packaging.
Thanks for posting the graphic, it'll be a huge help. :)
Like I found with my umbrella build, the second effort is proving to be much closer to what we're going for.
Edit: Interesting, although too late to implement in this new build I suspect... but the stars of the rotor don't actually end in a point!  Each length ends in a perpendicular straight edge:

53348081.jpg

There are also some additional clear rods surrounding the central lighting rig which don't seem to join up with any of the tiers at all.  Looks like there could be five placed within each gap.

Is that photo took from the Doctor Who Experience TARDIS Console? There aren't any really close up photos of the rotor in the actual series so it's very hard to tell, so thanks for that, it'll make it look a bit more realistic. :)
I would have used thin plastic but i found it was too flimsy and so decided to use slightly thicker acetate makes it a bit more rigid. Actually it was part of some packaging i got from a pack of pyjamas i got a couple of years ago and thought it would soon come in handy and it has.

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 06, 2011, 06:06 am
If that star pattern of the column is made from acetate, it should be thin enough that - with a little patience and a careful hand - a nail clipper should be able to "square off" the ends of those points. At that scale the slight curve of the clipper wouldn't be noticed and you'd get that flat tip Kingpin is talking about (and showing in that photo).
As to the number of vertical rods between the tiers, I think there are enough to get the idea and look across, especially as when you look at it the column looks like a forest of clear rods. It's just the tips of the star tiers that stick out with their points, and if you've got the nerve the above suggestion should take care of that.
Just a thought.
Dino.

Thanks for the advice Galacticprobe, i would never have thought of using nail clippers, i would have just used scissors and probably made a right mess of it. The model is surprisingly sturdy so should handle the force of a nail clipper attack :) I'll let you know how it goes.

Kingpin

It is indeed the Season 20 TARDIS console at it's displayed at the Experience.  I've got a couple of additional shots, but the majority I took of that console were of the panels and base, it's unfortunate that the Rotor is so difficult to clearly photograph when it's lit.

the doctor who2

I've now finished making the rotor section and have clipped the sides of the star tiers, not entirely sure if i might have cut a little bit too much off, bit late now anyway.

DSCF5856.JPG

DSCF5858.JPG

DSCF5859.JPG

Heres I've added another couple of tiers,

DSCF5860.JPG

DSCF5863.JPG

and the final two tiers to the top,

DSCF5868.JPG

Heres a quick one on the console,

DSCF5869.JPG

This rotor looks a lot better than the previous one i made first, just need to final a way to to make the cylinder to place the rotor in, then it will be there abouts finished.

Kingpin

You've definitely improved the design of the piece, looking good. :)

the doctor who2

Quote from: Kingpin on Aug 15, 2011, 01:57 pm
You've definitely improved the design of the piece, looking good. :)

Thanks Kingpin, I'm certainly happy with it :)

Right I've worked out how to make the cylinder which will hold the rotor and has worked out well,
i used a piece of wrapping paper tube as a template for the cylinder and happily i have one the perfect size,

DSCF5872.JPG

i used the same acetate as the rotor stars for the cylinder. On the last one i used glue to stick the sides with, but this turned very messy and didn't look very good. This time i used staples to keep it together and glued for the top section,

DSCF5875.JPG

DSCF5876.JPG

DSCF5878.JPG

Heres the piece with the console,

DSCF5880.JPG

And heres the rotor and the cover together, i just need to work out how to fit the rotor and the console together then it'll be complete :)

DSCF5882.JPG

DSCF5884.JPG

youmika

Looking very good. Especially the very small buttons. Brilliant!
Bartender says: "We don't serve Timelords in this establishment."
Timelord steps into a Bar.

the doctor who2

Quote from: youmika on Aug 23, 2011, 06:19 pm
Looking very good. Especially the very small buttons. Brilliant!

Thanks Youmika, those buttons took ages to stick on :)

Right I've now finished making the new rotor and looks a lot better. Heres the comparison with the new version with the older one, with the old one i have taken a few tiers off to see how it would look, so it would have been 2cm taller,

DSCF5895.JPG

DSCF5903.JPG

DSCF5901.JPG

DSCF5900.JPG

And lastly here's a little taster of how it looks on the actual console, ill be putting this build in the gallery soon once I've sorted out the photos :)

DSCF5904.JPG

DSCF5913.JPG