Apr 25, 2024, 07:30 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Glasgow Box

Started by mechanoid, Jul 20, 2010, 01:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanoid

Jul 20, 2010, 01:35 am Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012, 08:35 am by Scarfwearer
I don't know where this is from, apologies.

glasgow.jpg

deck5

Jul 20, 2010, 01:42 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010, 03:43 am by kiwidoc
Initially I thought this one was from the same series, but the box is a bit different.

library1.jpg

DoctorWho8

Looks like a Glasgow box. The doors don't match the sides, unlike the example Glenn posted.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

wayne venomous

Could the doors not matching the sides be a later repair/modification I wonder?  ???

superrichi1a

It could be Makenzie Trench Box (our beloved Police Box), or, it could be a repair job or a later or unique model I guess. Like was said above, could be a Glasgow box, but I'm not sure on that one. However, the Trench Box tended to be rather consistent in it's design. If you look it doesn't really have a door sign to speak of and it has those weird thingys below the windows, which are obviously out of sync with the sides, which could lead me to believe that this is most likely a repair job or a unique build. The sign is also incorrect, it should take a more familiar shape to us, but, I think these actually were variable in some cases.
Although, Deck5's picture does look a lot more like the Trench box, and still retains some similarity's to your picture, which, I think means that your picture must be a modified or repaired version, rather than a unique or Glasgow box. :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

DoctorWho8

It's definitely a Glasgow box.  I found these pictures, and look at the windows frames.  The one on the left door looks funky, whereas the one on the right looks normal.  The pic posted by mechanoid has the same features.  And the font on the sign boxes match.
m0190120police20box.jpg
2598881048_294163fbdc.jpg

I know there was a picture of a box just like this, where the windows of the doors didn't line up with the other sides, but I can't find it.

dreamland fantasy

Quote from: mechanoid on Jul 20, 2010, 01:35 am
I don't know where this is from, apologies.

glasgow.jpg

I'm almost convinced that it is a Glasgow box, but I can't quite place where that is. I originally thought that it may be the one from the Botanical Gardens on Byres Road, but the fence is different (unless the fence has been replaced at some point).

Kind regards,

Francis

DoctorWho8

Thank you Francis, I have found an old thread from the previous board.
http://tardisboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=policebox&action=display&thread=773
It's not the same box as the front windows are still in about the same positions as the others.  It does have a similar, yet taller metal fence around it. But notice that the window about the phone door and on the top right on the left hand side of the box, the windows have a different glazing as they seem to be the windows that opened up.  That seems to be a giveaway feature on many Glasgow boxes.