Apr 19, 2024, 10:28 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Longleat/Blackpool exhibition console

Started by peterdalek, Jul 08, 2010, 11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

peterdalek

Thanks to you all for your positive comments and support.

It's a privilege to share my project with you

Peter :)

mordrogyn

Awesome work there, well done on restoring it, good to see it's in good hands
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

davidnagel

wow

well done for buying it

and congrats for reconstructing the missing panel

looks great!
Regards
David

peterdalek

Have now wired up the leds succesfully, painted the hemispheres and stuck them on the white hexagons.

These are the last few photos now, I am really pleased with the results.

complete.jpg
litfinal.jpg
otherlit.jpg
tomconsole.jpg

Thank you all again for letting me share my progress and for everyone's support and advice.

Peter ;)

geminitimelord

Knarley DUDE!!  Can't tell the reconstruction from the other panels. Excellent Work..  Nice to know that not only are you a collector but a builder too.

Anyone can buy a Prop but it takes special skill and talent to replicate. I have no doubt you could have done this from ground up.... but heck nice to have 90% of the work done too. LOL.

exleo

Awww it is really wonderful to know that such a big part of my past memories is not only still in existence but is also in extremely safe hands.... Well done on a fantastic job, and thankyou for keeping such an iconic piece of so many fans memories safe and alive.....Brilliant.

and searching on youtube I found many videos of this console in it's heyday.....
such as this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVrjkapl_k

(hope it's ok to post this)

type55tardis

Sep 04, 2010, 08:34 pm #51 Last Edit: Sep 04, 2010, 09:17 pm by type55tardis
 Youve done a fantastic job there Heres a pic of it when my daughter and I visited the exhibition you can see the panel youve restored in the mirror SP_0008 (2).jpg and here is a short video of why a woman should not pilot the Tardis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-MPu8MWfo
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

Rassilons Rod

So was it Susan or Barbara who landed it in The Romans? :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

type 83

Are you going to paint over/cover/remove the DO NOT TOUCH sign?

peterdalek

Sep 05, 2010, 07:42 pm #54 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 08:16 pm by peterdalek
Quote from: type 83 on Sep 05, 2010, 08:43 am
Are you going to paint over/cover/remove the DO NOT TOUCH sign?

Hi Type83

I did consider removing it, but I don't want to for 2 reasons, 1) I personally feel that the console was the centre piece of the exhibition and I wanted it left how it was in the exhibition for that authentic touch, and 2) My 12 year old daughter said I should leave it on after I asked her, she said "it gives it the feel of a proper exhibition".

I sometimes feel that when it comes to Doctor Who, kids know best.

I admit it would look better without it, however it's roots lie in the fact it was part of the official DW exhibition for over 30 years and I want to reflect that by leaving it on.

I would be interested if anyone has an opinion about this.

Thanks for the picture Type 55, much appreciated. I've now got a good selection of photos of the console as it stood in the exhibtion.

Regards
PD :)

galacticprobe

Sep 05, 2010, 11:44 pm #55 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 11:49 pm by galacticprobe
If you wanted to, for special occasions, you could always temporarily cover those edges with strips of carefully painted cardboard to hide the "PLEASE DO NOT ROUCH" signs. This way you'd have the console in original condition as it was in the exhibition, yet if you wanted to film it for a video or do a photo shoot, the console could appear to have plain edges. Then you could just lift the false cardboard edge away and have the signs showing again. (The best of both worlds?)

Just a thought.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

Or if the edges are made from metal, see if you can stick a magnet on there.  If it sticks, looks for some long magnet material that you can paint and place on there.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

geminitimelord

Or just paint over it because the sign was obviously for the Idiots that would visit and want to play with it and potentially destroy it.

type55tardis

Sep 06, 2010, 06:06 am #58 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 06:43 am by type55tardis
Quote from: geminitimelord on Sep 06, 2010, 04:40 am
Or just paint over it because the sign was obviously for the Idiots that would visit and want to play with it and potentially destroy it.

Which probably includes all of us  ;D I remember going to the original exhibition in blackpool in the 80s ,I don`t know if this is the same console (they also had a similar one at Longleat) but in the 80s they not only had the fence around the console but there was perspex sheeting around the panels as well , so you couldn't`t lean across and touch the controls ,the construct of the console is pretty rugged and the switches etc.. appeared to be none moving,when we visited it last time at the new site near blackpool tower,I can tell you the temptation to touch was irresistible ,unfortunately at this time the central column was stuck in the up position ,it used to glide up and down in the 80s in time to the tardis take off sound,  Sigh happier days  :)

Peter Are you going to attempt to repair the central column movement or leave it as it is,it would be great to see it active again,and I`m sure if you get stuck there is enough ingenuity on this site to help you get it going again.
If you look at my post type55 console regeneration there are pics of the inside workings of the column raise mechanism.
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type55tardis

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Sep 05, 2010, 08:02 am
So was it Susan or Barbara who landed it in The Romans? :D

Nah it was the Doctor,good old WH,it was probably about the same time as he rode his motor scooter into a ditch on his way home from the pub  :) Incidentally Susan had left by then and new companion Vicky was on board (the first companion change)