News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Time cabinet from The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Started by magnusgreel, Jul 02, 2010, 02:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

magnusgreel

Jul 02, 2010, 02:19 pm Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019, 11:42 am by warmcanofcoke
Hi All,

I would really like to make a 1/10 scale model of the time cabinet from The Talons of Weng-Chiang.  I can't really get a good pictures of the art work from the episodes. If anyone out there knows where the art work came from,  has a model of the cabinet, better pictures or any Information.  Could you please post it here?

Thanks

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8076

cabwengchiang6.jpg

cabwengchiang.jpg

cabWengchiang1.jpg

cabwengchiang2.jpg

cabwengchiang4.jpg

cabwengchiang5.jpg
Where ever you go there you are.

warmcanofcoke

http://www.thepropgallery.com/hand-painted-concept-artwork-the-talons-of-weng-chiang
QuoteDoctor Who

Hand painted concept artwork - The Talons of Weng-Chiang

An original concept artwork used in the production of the long running BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who.

From the 1977 serial The Talons of Weng-Chiang this is the original conceptual artwork for the centre of the Time Cabinet which houses the Trionic Lattice. The artwork was created by BBC Visual Effects Department designer Michaeljohn Harris and is accomplished in pen and paint with a further hand drawn pencil sketch to the right, it was utilised during the creation of the original prop which was built by effects assistant George Reed.

The artwork measures approximately 15" x 9" and remains in excellent production used condition with some light creasing and minor edge tears which have been carefully taped to the verso, overall fine.

A rare example of original concept artwork from one of the most highly regarded serials of this classic science fiction series.

timecbbb.jpgtimecbbb-3.jpgtimecbbb-5.jpgdw-talons-tc-sc_01.jpgdw-talons-tc-sc_02.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

mycroft

I have seen replicas of the thingy lattice (small round 'key'). I think Mooncrest models used to make them.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jan 28, 2019, 05:20 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2019, 06:28 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Quote from: mycroft on Jan 28, 2019, 04:48 pm
I think Mooncrest models used to make them.

Well I didn't know that. I still haven't gotten around to getting their Metebelis crystal and sonic lance.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

russellsuthern

It is a work of art, isn't it?

I really wanted to make one when I was doing my "Talons" cosplay, but it was a bit too big an ask.

It really would not look out of place in someones sitting room as a piece of antique furniture. ;D

If you decide to make this, I shall be watching on with great interest!

Regards,

Russell

timewomble

According to "The Doctor's Effects", page 55, the key was made "from non-plasticised Polystyrene resin, which is normally used for breakable glass". It was required to shatter underfoot when the Doctor stamped on it, and they'd have made one for rehearsal, one for recording, and one for safety.

elkad

Aug 06, 2019, 04:44 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2019, 04:47 pm by elkad
I found someone who made a 15 inch replica here. http://thesconesofblood.blogspot.com/2010/08/time-cabinet-from-talons-of-weng-chiang.html
If the builder is still around, someone can ask for some info on the cabinet.

CO_time_cab.jpg

Osric

Aug 06, 2019, 09:53 pm #7 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2019, 09:58 pm by Osric
Is Phil on here? This is from his web site, where he has a huge trove of models available...
Its a papercraft version of the Weng-Chiang time cabinet.

Not very accurate in terms of the exterior decoration, but it's a great start...
https://www.aftdownloads.co.uk/WENGCHIANG.htm

time-cabinet-magnus-greel-doctor-who-weng-chiang.jpg

lespaceplie

Aug 07, 2019, 08:49 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2019, 08:55 pm by lespaceplie
Here are more photos from the usual sources. I'll see about tracking down others and higher resolution ones as well. Relative to a standard door (78 or 80 inches?), we can work out something close to the actual height and width. There's enough detail here to get started on the front art, but more is needed.

I'd love to make a replica of this. Rather than painting, I'd be inclined to adhere a print and finish with clear lacquer (including some strokes in the direction of the details).

16252152_413601228989357_8851034300002917700_o.jpgd04-4s-076.jpgd04-4s-092.jpgd04-4s-095.jpgd04-4s-100.jpg

lespaceplie

I'm thinking this has the ridiculously simple proportion of 36 x 72 inches on a 6 inch tall base. The central disk is 10 inches in diameter.

Motocrucian

Aug 08, 2019, 06:20 am #10 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019, 01:30 pm by Motocrucian
Interesting to note, there appears to be no design on the right side as you're facing it.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=-756;topic=1852.0;attach=217244;image

elkad

could just be in the shadows & can't see it  ???

Motocrucian

Aug 08, 2019, 07:46 pm #12 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019, 07:48 pm by Motocrucian
Just a quick colour adjustment, there's nothing there. Going to need to watch it again to see. Also, the bottom quarter has more of a separation. I wonder if they just picked up large Chinese wardrobe or made a box and the had the art department paint on the motif.
E4072AE7-FD0D-4A5C-99BA-09EF7C8D7AA8.jpeg

meantimebob

In part 6 where Syn is shooting at Greel, you see that side of the cabinet. It's decorated with a bamboo motif.

Davros Skaro

Check later in the episode when the cabinet is moved to Weng-Chiang's base, & the Doctor does battle with him. You get a better view of the cabinet then. I haven't watched that episode for some time now.

Chris.
Chris.