Mar 28, 2024, 10:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Slugworth's Console

Started by slugworth118, Jul 01, 2010, 09:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slugworth118

Jul 01, 2010, 09:45 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 03:35 pm by slugworth118
YES! It's true, my friends; I am FINALLY posting the beginning stages of my TARDIS console build. However, I must stress the "beginning stages" part, because this is really just like the skeleton of my console, and there's so much still to be done. Having said that though, I am quite excited about finally starting to get this project underway.

Also, I am very pleased to say that I am not just planning on building one primary console. The thing is, I've been collecting so much junk and materials, I actually have enough to build another (hopefully, if all goes well)!

So, here are some images of what makes up the basic body of my console:

DSC01970.JPG

-My dad picked this table up for me for a few bucks. It's quite sturdy; a circular polished wood top supported by four metal legs.

DSC01971.JPG

-A friend of mine managed to snag this giant wooden spool from the hardware store he works at. Again, it seems to be quite solid and sturdy.

DSC01972.JPG

-Another image of the spool, mainly showing this one to show that this is actually hollow. It takes away from the structural integrity a bit, but the holes in the top and bottom make it possible for me to maybe put in a mechanism to move the center column as well as storing various bits of wiring and electrical outlets.

DSC01974.JPG

-These are the components that make up the time rotor: (From left to right) a shop-vac filter, a rotating spice rack, and another stationary spice rack.

DSC01973.JPG

-These pieces come together to form a very cool and futuristic-looking time rotor/column.

DSC01975.JPG

-This is a glass vase that was given to me as a gift. This will house some of the time rotor (I say "some" because it's not quite tall enough to contain the entire thing. However, I plan on making a transparent structure underneath it that allows it to be supported while still being able to see the rotor).

DSC01969.JPG

-The whole package: What everything looks like put together (so far). As I said, I will be making a transparent column to house the time rotor. Also, I obviously haven't built the 6 panels, because I haven't purchased the wood I need yet. This is really just my beginning progress, but I hope to keep the momentum going as far as actually building and painting everything.

Until next time, happy building fellow Whovians!

Oh, and bytheway, ANY comments/contructive criticisms are ALWAYS welcomed and encouraged!

Scarfwearer

Looks like you're off to a great start!
I've taken the liberty of splitting your topic into two - one for each project. PM me if this is a problem. :)

Crispin

mordrogyn

I look at that spice rack and the one thing that pops into my head.....

That would look AWESOME with some cold cathode lights inside the cylindrical part.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

slugworth118

Quote from: mordrogyn on Jul 01, 2010, 11:46 pm
I look at that spice rack and the one thing that pops into my head.....

That would look AWESOME with some cold cathode lights inside the cylindrical part.

Thanks mate, I just might do that actually!

slugworth118

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jul 01, 2010, 10:54 pm
Looks like you're off to a great start!
I've taken the liberty of splitting your topic into two - one for each project. PM me if this is a problem. :)

Crispin

Thank you very much Crispin, I had thought about doing that myself initially, but thanks!

karsthotep

Very good idea with the spice rack, I love it when people can take a everyday item and SciFi it up.  It would look awesome with some Cathode tubes in place.  good work.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

type55tardis

Jul 02, 2010, 02:49 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 02:51 pm by type55tardis
Love seeing someone using their imagination , I think that rotating spice rack  would probably become motorised if i had it , I couldn`t resist trying ,Well Done !!
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

type 83

Couldn't you get another vase and put them together?

slugworth118

@karsthotep, thanks for the input! I'm definitely considering getting some cathode tubes...although I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg for them. Do you happen to know how much $ they run for?

@type55tardis, haha cheers mate! Yeah, I think that's going to be the hardest part of this build; because like most people on this forum, I have absolutely NO idea how I'm going to motorize the time rotor!

@type 83, yes, I had thought about doing that. However, my major concern is that I'm working with glass (which probably wasn't a good idea to begin with) and trying to stick two glass vases together may prove to be quite a calamity.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I really do appreciate it!

type 83

You could cut the time rotor down and just use the top bit and the vase...

type_1012_tardis

Looking good so far!

I can't wait to see how this comes out!

And if cathode lighting is too expensive for you, you could allways try LED 'tape lighting' or 'rope lights' as an alternative.

Any plans to build in/wire it up to a computer?  Or at least a MP3 player/iPod for sound FX?
Also, what are your plans for the scanner display?
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

slugworth118

@type 83, yeah I guess I'll work that out eventually.

@type_1012_tardis, thanks for the advice. I won't be hooking up a computer unfortunately...I'm on a bit of a budget. But I will be attaching 2 monitors that will be syncronized to show the same image. As for the scanner display...do you mean the external scanner?

scanner.jpg

or...are you talking about the image on the monitor like this?

screen.jpg

slugworth118

bytheway, that first image is courtesy of @Teletran's virtual console room build.

merc23

cool, i like the screen that david tennant had, i have an image a bit simular, same style i mean, just keep working hard, oh and i love your style...