I think I know what are part of the Tennant console is and can source them

Started by martin garrett, Jun 20, 2010, 10:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martin garrett

OK guys, hope my first post is going to help people here. I have just started watching the Tennant series on DVD whilst on paternity leave.

In a couple of episodes you see him spinning a grey ribbed wheel on  the console. Can anyone provide me with still of this wheel ?

Reason been is I am 99.999% sure that I know what the item is and CAN get hold of them for potential builders.

Sorry to be so vague but my interest in joining was builiding a Tardis rather than a console and it wasnt till a few days later that my grey cells flicked into action. Sad thing was I had two of the said items in my possesion a few months ago  :(

Regards Martin

mordrogyn

(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

kiwidoc

The grey wheel on the left of this pic?  (Eccleston uses it a lot in "The End of the World") I'm interested in knowing more...     :)

3314055818_ef51660dbe.jpg

martin garrett

Yep thats the one Kiwidoc.

Maybe it was the Eccleston series I saw it then.

We are decorating a house at the minute and as incentive to get finished the Mrs has said that for each room I complete I can have a Who box set. OK its a little of the carrot in front of donkey but hey it works for me.

Has anyone any better pictures? The item is as I thought but there are a number of differant types and sizes and Im curious about  what appears to be a cut out in the wheel. Has it been added by the prop department which if so means it coud be one of a couple of these items OR by the original manufacturer. If the latter it makes it easier still to ID.

Essentially though its a relatively common aircraft part.

Regards Martin

slidin_sidewayz

martin garrett

It is a trim wheel from a british aircraft. Never "just a trim wheel" though  ;D

I had something very similar in the Gloster Meteor T7 I owned until recently. The Meteor ones seemed a lot smaller than seen on the console though.

There are diff sizes and from memory all are feauture a full wheel apart from I think the JP. The JP well at least the later versions have a relatively large segment cut out by the manufacturers. This is what Im hoping to establish.

ThisJustinOnline

Here is a couple pictures I found of the Prevost Trim Wheel and Throttle...Closest one I ever found, but prices upwards of 400 bucks...

pistonprovostthrottle1.jpg

pistonprovostthrottle2.jpg

pistonprovostthrottle3.jpg

wheel1.jpg

wheel3.jpg

wheel5.jpg

wheel4.jpg

galacticprobe

From British aircraft? Well, not being able to read all of the labelling on it (other than the "PORT" and "STBD"), me, being a nautical guy, thought it was from a boat of some sort.

And while we're ID'ing components, does anyone know what model of telephone that is in the panel? I know I've seen them many times, but now for the remaining lives of me I can't remember who made them. (Darn these old brain cells!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Like I said: old brain cells; so, I forgot to ask...

If these provost trim wheels parts can be "sourced", what would be the cost? (Hopefully less than $400 each) Because unless I'm wrong, from some of the detailed photos I've gotten of this console, there appears to be two of them: one on opposite-side "rib" from the other (although the second one looks slightly different in the throttle lever area).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kiwidoc

It's usually referred to as a 'trim phone' I gather (I've never seen one in NZ) - a popular 60s/70's design innovation I think?

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 22, 2010, 10:52 pm

And while we're ID'ing components, does anyone know what model of telephone that is in the panel? I know I've seen them many times, but now for the remaining lives of me I can't remember who made them. (Darn these old brain cells!)

Dino.

DoctorWho8

They may have found the phone as a relic from the Pertwee era.  You'd see the Brigadier on those kind very often.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Scarfwearer

I have one in my TARDIS:
trim-phone.jpg
I found it on ebay - it works too!

Crispin

galacticprobe

I've seen a few on ebay as well. From across the Pond the shipping is a bit high, and the only ones I've seen in green with a whitish handset have been dials. (There are enough red/white and black/white push-button ones though, but having to paint one of them green just doesn't seem right: altering antiques and such.)

I'll keep watching. I might even get lucky and find one in an antique store nearby (so long as it's not run by Auntie Wainwright!). There are a few shops that have older phones that come somewhat close to the phone on the back of the TARDIS door, but even those need some surgery to make them screen accurate (and like I mentioned, I hate performing that kind of surgery on actual antiques: I think it's a measure and repro there).

Dino.

martin garrett

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jun 22, 2010, 11:14 pm
Like I said: old brain cells; so, I forgot to ask...

If these provost trim wheels parts can be "sourced", what would be the cost? (Hopefully less than $400 each) Because unless I'm wrong, from some of the detailed photos I've gotten of this console, there appears to be two of them: one on opposite-side "rib" from the other (although the second one looks slightly different in the throttle lever area).

Dino.

I hadnt seen the bits attached to the grey wheel. Leave it with me and I will do some more digging to see what we are now looking at.