Apr 20, 2024, 12:16 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scarfwearer's Dematerialisation Circuit

Started by Scarfwearer, Jun 16, 2010, 07:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 07, 2010, 09:57 pm #15 Last Edit: Dec 12, 2010, 03:29 am by galacticprobe
Well, I thought I did. :-\ (Apparently my memory just ain't what it used to be when it comes to specifics like this! :P)

I could almost swear that in one of the Pertwee episodes, there was a very brief close-up of the Demat circuit sitting on a "something" that the Doctor was about to use to try and repair it. I know there is a medium-long shot of the new circuit appearing atop the central column at the end of "The Three Doctors", but the scene I'm thinking of came much earlier in Pertwee's tenure, and the shot was a good close-up.

I could be wrong, though. ??? Does anyone else have any such memories?

Dino (drawing closer and closer to that stage of braindeadness :-X).
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type_1012_tardis

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Dec 06, 2010, 11:30 pm
Quote from: type_1012_tardis on Dec 06, 2010, 11:25 pm
Am I the only one here wondering why your tardis has an obligatory back to the future reference???

The demat circuit predates Back to the Future by at least a decade - they must have copied Doctor Who... :)

Crispin

just gonna mention that i've only seen about 5 minutes of back to the future, and that i was talking about type 83's comment above about his tardis having a back to the future reference

end of line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

greatwazoo42

Thanks for the parts write up, Crispin.  I may just have to make myself one of those.

type_1012_tardis

same, though it will probably be some time before i have a chance to do so....
*sigh*

end of line
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

Lungman

The best shot I can think of in terms of closeup for the Demat Circuit is in the last few minutes of The Three Doctors where the new circuit materialises on top of the time rotor after the Doc gets his license back (so to speak...) ;)

the mister

I love it! although, I've always wondered. Where does the Dematerialisation Circuit fit? in the console?

galacticprobe

Nov 22, 2011, 09:22 pm #21 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011, 09:25 pm by galacticprobe
In Pertwee's era, when the circuit was used (read as "shown") most, there was a small cylindrical cubby that lifted up from one of the console panels, and the Demat circuit would just slide inside a small opening in the side of the cylinder. I think the Doctor actually inserts the new Demat circuit into this near the end of "The Three Doctors". I know he's shown to do this in other stories as he tested his (unsuccessful) repairs of the circuit, but I can't remember their titles. (Unless I'm wrong, that place for the circuit started out - or ended up - as a hole in the console into which the Doctor inserted the Space-Time Tracker he used to follow the Master in "The Time Monster" story.)

Anyway, like most components on the console panels, this insertion point for the Demat circuit disappeared during repairs/revisions to the panel, probably because this aspect of the Doctor's life wasn't needed any longer; he had the new circuit, and didn't need to be removing, repairing, and re-installing it again.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Nov 24, 2011, 06:47 am #22 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2011, 06:54 am by galacticprobe
Just to add the reference to what I posted above, here's a thread that has a photo of the 3rd Doctor actually opening the cubby where the Demat Circuit is inserted. It's seen almost half way down the page:
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1100.msg35905;topicseen#msg35905

And here is the panel (after "The Three Doctors" when the new Demat Circuit is installed) and the place where the circuit would normally go is now a hole for the Space-Time Tracker (which Jo is holding in her hands):
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3212.msg35922;topicseen#msg35922
Again this is just about half way down the page, and using the 3-lever Demat panel for reference as in the first link it appears to be right next to the panel where the Demat Circuit goes. (And that new "hole" is about the same size as the insert for the Demat Circuit.)

Dino.

the mister

wow that's very insightful and helpful, thank you muchly :)