Mar 29, 2024, 08:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Usual Suspects

Started by cathlyn847, Jun 13, 2010, 07:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cathlyn847

Jun 13, 2010, 07:13 am Last Edit: Aug 23, 2010, 12:05 pm by Scarfwearer
I want to print out a nice large color print (suitable for framing)
but all I have is a small file and I can't blow it up.

Hey Purp...any chance I can get it signed by you?  ;D ;D
cheers to all and g'night
What would the Doctor do?

DoctorWho8

Jun 13, 2010, 04:27 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010, 07:11 pm by Scarfwearer
This may be the same file, but you aren't going to find anything better.  This version includes the NST, but the final printed version has that removed.
TARDISesINaROWa.jpg
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

pmc

Jun 14, 2010, 05:04 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010, 05:07 pm by pmc
Hi all just thought I would throw this in. I did this a while ago and before the onslaught I know they are not all fully accurate but thought you would like to see anyway. The only ones that I have that are fully textured are the NST and NST-2010. The only one missing from the lineup is the 96 movie.

tardis_comparison.jpg

If you would like a hi res version click here

Hope you like.

cathlyn847

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 13, 2010, 04:27 pm
This may be the same file, but you aren't going to find anything better.  This version includes the NST, but the final printed version has that removed.

Yup, it's the same file, but thanks for the reply Bill,....So, there was at one time a printed version?

cathlyn847

Quote from: pmc on Jun 14, 2010, 05:04 pm
Hi all just thought I would throw this in. I did this a while ago and before the onslaught I know they are not all fully accurate but thought you would like to see anyway. The only ones that I have that are fully textured are the NST and NST-2010. The only one missing from the lineup is the 96 movie.

Hope you like.

I like it very much  ;D THANKS....now hurry up and finish them!!!

geminitimelord

PMC, looks nice.

How are you doing toward your Full Size Build?

DoctorWho8

Quote from: cathlyn847 on Jun 14, 2010, 07:06 pm
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 13, 2010, 04:27 pm
This may be the same file, but you aren't going to find anything better.  This version includes the NST, but the final printed version has that removed.

Yup, it's the same file, but thanks for the reply Bill,....So, there was at one time a printed version?

Correct.  The modified version of this with the NST was part of the Yardley-Jones DVD/Book Cabinet that was released in 2005 as a poster.

cathlyn847

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 14, 2010, 09:49 pm
Correct.  The modified version of this with the NST was part of the Yardley-Jones DVD/Book Cabinet that was released in 2005 as a poster.

Sorry to be 'thick'...did you mean to say 'the modified version of this WITHOUT the NST ..(edit)...was released in 2005 as a poster.' ?

And I am not sure how the poster ties to the DVD Cabinet..... ;)

DoctorWho8

Yes, the modified artwork without the NST.  The poster came with the cabinet as a special extra.

cathlyn847

Jun 15, 2010, 03:02 am #9 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 03:44 am by cathlyn847
Crispin-if I'm in the wrong place please move me.

OK...I started with the "Usual Suspects" (credit: Purpleblancmange)
and I imported it into Autocad as a pdf file and traced it.
Because it was a low resolution file it was a bit blurry when I enlarged it...so my tracing ain't perfect.
Then someone (yesterday?) posted a Met Box measured drawing on the TBF.
So I imported it also.
I lined them up in scale: Measured Met - My Trace - the 1929
And as you can see they don't quite line up.

compare tardis-001.jpg

These are supposed to be the same box, correct?

I am at the absolute beginning of drafting up a full set of construction drawings for the 1929 Police Box
I am doing it for fun, I have no plans to build but I will of course share  ;D
best to all,
Cathlyn

mordrogyn

I believe that the Usual Suspects poster is designed to give a "rough" idea and is not completely accurate.
Look at the lines for each "foot" they are themselves at least 2 scale inches thick.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

cathlyn847

Quote from: mordrogyn on Jun 15, 2010, 03:15 am
I believe that the Usual Suspects poster is designed to give a "rough" idea and is not completely accurate.

Really? not accurate?  :o I find that hard to believe given Purp's excellent eye.

So the measured drawing is gospel?

galacticprobe

Jun 15, 2010, 03:55 am #12 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 03:59 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: cathlyn847 on Jun 15, 2010, 03:29 am
Quote from: mordrogyn on Jun 15, 2010, 03:15 am

Really? not accurate?  :o I find that hard to believe given Purp's excellent eye.

So the measured drawing is gospel?

There is no arguing that Purple has a most excellent eye when it comes to "Doctor Who" prop details. If he says something, you can pretty much bank on it.

As for accurate measurements, I think the point may have been made by the 4th Doctor in "Logopolis" when he told Adric that the TARDIS' chameleon circuit got it a bit wrong when it took the shape of a police box. The TARDIS' exterior dimensions were not the same as an actual police box, which is why the circuit may have gotten stuck (hence Adric's crawling all over the "real" box taking exacting measurements).

So the real police box measurements are (pardon the pun) cast in concrete, while all variations of the TARDIS (save the Cushing box) are different and up to interpretation, depending on personal preference. As to why its appearance had changed over the years of the Classic series (aside from the practical repairs and replacements) could possibly be explained away as the TARDIS trying on its own to "unstick" the chameleon circuit, thereby altering how it looked as time wore on. That would all change after the severe damage sustained near the end of The Great Time War (and at "The End of Time: Part 2") where it has to in the former regenerate its shell and the latter, "rebuild" (as quoted from the 11th Doctor in "The Eleventh Hour").

Accuracy: dare I say, "It's all relative"?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

Oh no don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Purple's stuff isn't accurate, what I am saying is that I believe that the usual Suspects poster was more to illustrate the differences in height between the various models rather than give exact measurements.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

purpleblancmange

May 27, 2005, 10:44 pm #14 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2010, 12:02 pm by Scarfwearer
Just recently a number of new members have asked on how we tell the various props apart... well, like this.  Enjoy!

TARDISesINaROWa.jpg