Apr 19, 2024, 11:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Gallifrey 2009

Started by DoctorWho8, Feb 20, 2009, 09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Feb 20, 2009, 09:02 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 09:51 pm by Scarfwearer
Not only do we have a shot of the convention TARDIS onstage showing a new detail of it, but also another TARDIS someone (I've been told a lady but don't have a name yet) in another room at the con.  These pics were taken by Steven from Edmonton of www.radiofreeskaro.com, who you can see in the second picture.

n58310767518682523971ja7.jpg
Here's the stage TARDIS.  What I noticed for the first time is that the side of the roof overhangs the corner posts, like the later version of the original TARDIS prop in the front.  I think it may be because the roof is not fixed onto the box, but is slid on and it may have shifted.  That's my theory.

n58310767518682739284id2.jpg
And here's the new TARDIS.  Anyone in this forum claim this box?
Bill Rudloff

davidnagel

Feb 20, 2009, 11:27 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 04:59 am by doctoriz
They're nice boxes...

why I suspect that the first one IS one of the TV Movie TARDISes?

but meh, I could be wrong
Regards
David

DoctorWho8

Feb 21, 2009, 03:25 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 04:59 am by doctoriz
You are close, David.  The Gallifrey box was used for a promotional shoot for TV Guide (and presumably other media) in LA, and the TVM Boxes were in Vancouver.  I still have that issue of TV Guide somewhere.  It has Tom Selleck on the front, I think.
Bill Rudloff

kauaijohn

Feb 22, 2009, 12:53 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:00 am by doctoriz
The other box at Gallifrey One is owned by Tara Wheeler.  A very nice build!
Check out the YouTube video of her TARDIS at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWby6fjJKg

TG

Feb 22, 2009, 11:08 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:00 am by doctoriz
I remember Tara she joined TR2 in 2006 and I sent her those door handles from the UK.
Very nice build as you say!

hb88banzai

Jun 11, 2010, 01:32 pm #5 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2010, 01:51 pm by hb88banzai
Yes, the roof just sits loosely on top, and in that first picture it is quite obviously misaligned.

Whoever is supervising the build is supposed to line things up from inside as the last step in roof installation. All you have to do is make sure the edges of the lower 2x's in the roof line up with the edges of the 2x4's on the top of the walls (or relatively close, as vagaries of a particular build surface allow) and all is well, with the first roof step edge being an even 1/2" in from the walls on all sides. So either somebody forgot or an attendee got up on a chair and pushed the roof assembly. Of course, being So Cal, they also simply could have had an earthquake.  ;D

I just never got around to putting in any lock-down hardware (partly due to not wanting to introduce something that would stick down from the roof in a way that might cause damage to the floor during transport as it rests on the floor when everything is piled together in the truck). Nor did I ever get around to actually putting on the originally planned pillar tops which would also have the effect of aligning the roof and locking things in once the roof was dropped into place. For that matter, I never even closed in the pillar tops - if you ever see it from above you can still see down into the pillars. Bad me!

Should I ever make it back down there to do some repairs maybe I'll finally do something about all that, but since I haven't even been able to make a Gally in like nine years, I'm not holding my breath. That's the problem with living 750 miles away now instead of just 30. Sigh.