Apr 19, 2024, 09:01 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dalek - By Palitoy, Silver & Blue (1975).

Started by Praetorian, May 29, 2010, 09:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Praetorian

I have just been rooting around in my Father's shed and found my very first Doctor Who toy!

It is an incomplete and without box silver and blue Dalek, by Palitoy. Originally released in 1975, it must have been bought for me (I was born in 1982), no doubt when I was watching McCoy on the Beeb. ;D

I plan on restoring the poor chap to his former glory, perhaps making a few updates to boot.

I had him apart today and fully expected some type of electronics inside, with the hope of replacing his inactive innards with a working sound chip, but instead I found a mechanical set-up, using a vinyl disk with a little needle to generate his voice! *EXTERMINATE!*

I've never seen anything like this before! I know that these toys aren't worth a great deal, nor particularly rare, but I was in awe of the simplicity and naivety of it all. I work in satcoms for a defence/government contractor, so the tech' I'm involved with is cutting edge stuff, but this made me light up with excitement, especially when I hooked up his dodgy little electric motor and got him speaking again!

...I'll take some photos of the inside workings and begin logging the restoration project. :D
Live Life & Be Free.

galacticprobe

WOW! As a fellow 'tron tech, I'm anxious to see this one!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

pod

Last night I saw a complete as new in original box one of these on ebay for over 900GBP!!! I've seen everything else from the range (I have the Tome Baker doll) but I'd never even seen one of these!

Praetorian

Talking of eBay, I have found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-Doctor-Palitoy-TALKING-DALEK-COMPLETE-BOX-/110538015624?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc944388

That's the one!... Mine has sentimental value and is missing his stalk, arms, battery cover and box, so no plans to sell mine on... But at least he has his voice (unlike the one listed)! ;D

I took some photos of all of his parts earlier today (including the miniature vinyl record deck). Unfortunately, I only have the camera on my phone to use at the moment, so I apologise for the quality. I'll upload them once I've copied them off of my mobile.
Live Life & Be Free.

Rox

Quote from: pod on May 30, 2010, 11:25 am
Last night I saw a complete as new in original box one of these on ebay for over 900GBP!!! I've seen everything else from the range (I have the Tome Baker doll) but I'd never even seen one of these!

That's the Denys Fisher one, and not the Palitoy talking Dalek.

It's a stupid price...!
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

Praetorian

May 31, 2010, 09:32 am #5 Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:35 am by Praetorian
...Still haven't uploaded my pictures, but did find this today:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flowers.flowers/Product%20Photos/Oddments/dalek1.jpg

...from...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flowers.flowers/oddments.htm

I do like the idea of fabricating my own, but this makes the whole process a lot speedier. It looks like these are cast from duplicate moulds, so some clean-up and a lick of paint will be required, regardless.

I'm also in need of a replacement battery cover, from the base. If anybody knows how I might get a hold of one, or fabricate one myself, please let me know! :)

Battery cover pictured.

DALEK-PALITOY_006_EDIT-20100531.JPG
Live Life & Be Free.

pod

Quote from: Rox on May 30, 2010, 10:05 pm
Quote from: pod on May 30, 2010, 11:25 am

That's the Denys Fisher one, and not the Palitoy talking Dalek.

It's a stupid price...!

Ah yes, so it is. I used to have the talking one. Then I painted it to make it more "screen accurate". Then I lost all his parts. But I still have the shell! The voice unit is actually a tiny record player. I got mine on a trip to Belfast as a kid, as we never had anything like that in Australia. I loved that thing!