Apr 19, 2024, 01:53 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Non-console interiors

Started by Borusa, May 21, 2010, 07:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Borusa

May 21, 2010, 07:35 pm Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:05 pm by Borusa
I've recently become slightly obsessed with the idea of building a TARDIS-like (not a control room, mind you) room in my home (with a TARDIS exterior entry).

Two issues distinguish this from console projects:

First, this wouldn't be a re-creation of something expressly seen in the show, but more of a stylistic homage or TARDIS-inspired space, and;

Second, it would entail re-designing an existing (and heretofore under-utilized) room in my home into a perfectly usable, livable, and functional space that happens to be TARDIS-like (yes, my very tolerant wife has pre-approved the idea).

In other words, rather than actually replicating a control console, this would be an attempt to create, within the existing room dimensions, something that could easily be accepted as a never-before-shown interior room of the TARDIS.

Crispin informed me that there's been some early discussions of doing something like this; so before I start reinventing the wheel (and as wheels go, it seems to me that the biggest challenge I foresee is creating evenly-spaced and symmetrical roundels), I thought I'd ask all of you.

I'm particularly inspired by (although I haven't decided which to pursue) the season 14 Edwardian, wood-paneled look and the large control room (sans console) seen in only the pilot episode and the opening and closing parts of "An Unearthly Child."  Both present various and differing pros and cons.  After the roundels, the ceiling and lighting seem to be other challenges.  Adapting the entry-way to appear like exterior doors seems pretty well covered in other sections.

Has anyone tried something like what I'm proposing, or even, possibly, succeeded?  Your thoughts, concepts, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'll keep everyone posted here or, once things get started, in a project build diary.

Thanks!
"You have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the universe."

Scarfwearer

Well, I can share how I did the recessed roundels in my console room. It predates the forum, but there's a page on it on my website, here: Making roundel panels.
Essentially I used a router with an arm, and rotated it around a peg. Here's a picture:
cutting-roundels.jpg

Crispin

Borusa

May 26, 2010, 09:46 pm #2 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:51 pm by Borusa
Thanks, Crispin!  That's an amazing site.

I've (somehow) never noticed that some of the roundels are meant to be tiled and alternating (i.e. set in opposition to one another), while others are side-by-side.

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that in the pilot and the first episode, one entire wall in the fabulous (!) original control room is a painted backdrop of roundels and not a proper wall at all.  I took some still photos from various moments on the North American DVD release.  They show what I mean pretty clearly (along with some showing that incredible tilted ceiling). I'd be happy to share.

Scarfwearer

May 26, 2010, 09:53 pm #3 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:58 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: Borusa on May 26, 2010, 09:46 pm
I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that in the pilot and the first episode, one entire wall in the fabulous (!) original control room is a painted backdrop of roundels and not a proper wall at all.  I took some still photos from various moments on the North American DVD release.  They show what I mean pretty clearly (along with some showing that incredible tilted ceiling). I'd be happy to share.

We have a thread for that :) [ref topic=1010]Photographic blow-up walls[/ref].

Crispin

Borusa

May 26, 2010, 10:00 pm #4 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:21 pm by Borusa
Yeah... I JUST (this moment, while checking out scurrie's Hartnell replica) came across your January 3, 2007, post about reviewing the stills among the extras on the DVD of "The Beginning" box set release.  Obviously, you know what I'm talking about (should have known).

Looking forward to see what you think.   I followed the link you provided above ("Photographic blow up walls" -thanks for that, by the way).  Those many links provided by rassilonsrod seem to be expired or no longer available.

Scurrie's Hartnell replica is fantastic! (just my novice opinion, of course) Now I know what everyone's referring to when they say "Brachaki"!

Borusa

Does anyone have any images from the classic series of various interior spaces, other than the control room?

Otherwise, any suggestions for where to go looking for some?

Cheers!

DoctorWho8

May 27, 2010, 09:50 pm #6 Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:52 pm by DoctorWho8
Romana's room in Season 18, Castrovalva, Earthshock and Terminus.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Borusa

Fantastic! Thank you!

I'm off to see if the DVDs are available.

DoctorWho8

They all are now on DVD.  So start digging.
Bill

Borusa

Can anyone recall in which story we find the Doctor wandering somewhere within the TARDIS among a cloister-ish series of columns and arches?

Scarfwearer

Invasion of Time  comes to mind, which is where we also first see the swimming pool IIRC.

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Logopolis, Tom Baker's last story.  It will be in the box set with Castrovalva and Keeper of Traken.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Borusa

May 28, 2010, 09:28 pm #12 Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:29 pm by Borusa
Thanks to you both.  I have "The Invasion of Time" on DVD, so I'll check out "Logopolis" for the cloister-garden-ish scene.

Crispin, is the pool bothersome at all for you since it would be difficult to recreate at your house?  :P

Scarfwearer

Quote from: Borusa on May 28, 2010, 09:28 pm
Crispin, is the pool bothersome at all for you since it would be difficult to recreate at your house?  :P

A pool would be great, but I wouldn't want it in the library...

Crispin

Borusa

And, if so, what next: a workshop, an infirmary, an art gallery, not to mention endless halls and stairwells that all seem to look the same (and are so endless and repetetive that even The Doctor gets lost)?

When I read the recent post about The Second Life-r (SLer) who asked for complete plans of the interior of the TARDIS in order to build it all in the environment/virtual world.  I had to think, "Um, have you been watching all these years?"  But, really, I suppose I should have said, "After your preferred control room, build it however you want. It's your TARDIS now."