Apr 28, 2024, 03:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My first attempt at a console.

Started by Dev, May 08, 2010, 03:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

May 08, 2010, 03:01 pm Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:02 pm by ed1441
Hi all! I've been meaning to post on here for ages, but just haven't got round to it.
This is my attempt at building a console, which started about.....4/5 years ago?
i seemed to work on it for a week, then put it away for a year, never really getting anywhere with it.
A picture I've posted shows the console on the floor, about 3 years ago. the central column was just supported by a few tins and the panels were  simply resting against it. i wired it up just to see how it looked,
Last week i had some time off, and decided it was time to find all the parts and put it all together, finally!
So i build the base section, and screwed the panels on hinges as a bit of a a temporary arrangement, and again, rested then on the central column.
Its still got a long way to go, but at least its more or less in one piece. To keep it off the floor, its currently balanced on a side turned microwave. Hows that for time traveling in style  ;D    

The last one was taken this morning as it now stands, on its microwave......
sorry about the bad quality, they were all taken on my phone .
moto_0190.jpg
[attachid]moto_0484.jpg[/attach]
moto_0485.jpg
moto_0488.jpg
And even a picture of an attempt at a matching screwdriver :)
moto_0492.jpg

This console was based on the one seen in the 1996 TV Movie, I originally intended to paint it an undercoat of black then a brown, but i got to really like the effect of the black against the silver switches and buttons ::)

So, what do you all think?
Opinions? Good? Bad? Terrible?

Scarfwearer

It looks fantastic! And yes, the black looks pretty classy.

Crispin

type_1012_tardis

Pretty good!
Better than mine, that's for sure (at least, at time of posting)
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

12th

Nice stuff man, I'm liking the dark colour scheme.

Dev

Jul 25, 2010, 02:25 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 02:54 pm by Scarfwearer

PROOF!
that it atleast lights up and makes noise

here, is a short video of my console :)

the_temporal_mechanic

I missed this and just got a chance to see the post.  I like it!

Dev

Jun 05, 2011, 08:59 pm #6 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2011, 10:20 am by ed1441
Sorry, Its been a very long time since i posted last. In the interval my brothers wedding occurred, so the console has found a new home in the corner of a diffrent room to keep it out the way of proceedings, and it is only very recently that i have had to time to mod it.

As of last week, this is what the console looked like. Just a few lights added, and a bit done to the structure to stop it moving around.
Still with a flashing garden lamp on top....
Photo-0055_e1.jpg

in the last week, i have tried to build a moving time rotor. Finally came up with a workable design, And this is what it looks like so far....
Photo-0018.jpg

Its looks basic at the moment, but hopefully, soon is shall look all amazing and shiny.... Well.. not so much shiny, its meant to be a type 35.... old.. ratty...hardly working... bits falling off....I suppose its rather living up to its name....

More news when i have it :)

Dev

So yes... Started to build the movement for the time rotor.
As seen here.
Photo-0025.jpg

Sorry, the pic isn't amazing, but you can still see what's going on.
I was going for the classic motor design.
It looks abit unstable, as it was. The main problem was, it moved down fine, but the motor wasn't able to provide the push upwards. Its not that the motor isn't strong enough, but the column design is tilting slightly causing friction in the wood. The idea of having pillars was to stop the design rocking, which technically worked. to keep it moving there has to be a small gap between the static and dynamic pilers, and the movement is pulling it between this gap. Make sense? hope so
SO! I have a cunning plan. to use three evenly spaces springs pulling the top of the moving rotor towards the natural centre. This will hopefully keep it in the middle, and assist the movement upwards.
Have ordered the parts and a bit of el wire to light up bits and pieces, should have it all up and running in a week! (famous last words....)    

type55tardis

Looking good , have a look at my topic console regeneration ,in console builds it will give you a good idea on how to make a cheap and steady column lift .
so let me get this straight,A thing that looks like a Police box standing in a junkyard,It can move anywhere in Time and space ?

Dev

i may very well attempt your idea. It does provide an amazing motion! The only problem is, i'm dealing with significantly limited space due to the static nature of half of the rotor. the entire movement top to bottom has about 70cm or so to work in. I will look in to the application of it. Thanks for the help :) 

Dev

So! Todays work!
I build a box to house the motor that will provide the motion for the time rotor, as recommended by type55tardis.
Photo-0035.jpg

Although there are two problems.
-One, the bass of the tine rotor now sits about 20cm above where it was in order to fit the box inside it. This can be solved by building a collar linking it to the panels, which can have lights and dials and bits on and hopefully look rather good.
-Two, I haven't a clue what to build the rotation arms out of. I tried wood and screws but it didn't have enough grip on the motor. I shall have to think of something.....

Also made the final modifications to my time rotor

After all this modification over the past few weeks, what will it look like......
Photo-0036.jpg
(hopefully 'finished' and revealed on thursday!)

Dev

Not finished yet, however I have stared to build the upwards extension to account for the size of the motion inside.
I've decided to split the extension into two sections. The collar between the top of the panels and the time rotor, and the bottom of the panels connected to the base. 
Base extension shown here.
Photo-0037.jpg

Static section which will top the time rotor shown here.
This section is removed in the final picture, but will be permanently attached later.
Photo-0032.jpg

Final picture of todays modifications
Photo-0040.jpg

Eventually i intend to cover the see though sections in either wooden panels, or possibles slightly opaque while plastic covered in thick wire mesh with light shining though. Depends what i run in to first. Think it would look quite good in the time rotor!

The overall high is now about 2.5Meters.
Think i have about 75cm before i hit the roof.....   

davidnagel

Regards
David

Dev

Jun 20, 2011, 10:08 pm #13 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2011, 10:09 pm by ed1441
Some random pictures showing the final(ish) shape of the console and time rotor. I orignally designed the time rotor to be a complicated thing, but step by step it seems to have evolved in to the thing you see before you (As it isn't attached in the photo as it will be, its not exactly on strait!).
I did decide to model the top light (as i blinks on and off whist in flight) on the top light of the police box.  
Photo-0041.jpg
Photo-0047.jpg

The box containing the Motor has been modified to fit within the console. As soon as i construct the arms that connect the motor to the base of the time rotor, we will be ready to go!

Dev

Jul 19, 2011, 03:07 pm #14 Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 03:08 pm by ed1441
Two small updates.
-I have expended the upper section above the time rotor to include a series of interdependent lights, powered by a computer psu.   Photo-0056.jpg

Here you can see everything lit up as it stood the other day.
Photo-0054.jpg

- I have also start to fix switches and various bits and pieces to the upper panels.
Photo-0058.jpg

Also ordered a load of switches, as my current stocks taken mostly from demolished science labs.
Hopefully updates coming soon!