Mar 29, 2024, 01:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

and so it begins

Started by flintsteel, Apr 30, 2010, 03:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flintsteel

my childhood dream is finally taking shape. I decided to go with the 2005 NST (cos' it's a little bigger on the inside). I started a prototype door and quickly realized after going off Glen's TARDIS Builder's Workshop Manual, that this was going to be too small for my height (6-'4") and as much as I loved the season 18 classic design, the 2005 NST looks more substantial. +I'm planning on using it as a tool shed in my yard, so the more interior space, the better. Still looking for an accurate construction detail/method for the corner posts, so if anyone can assist? more photos as this develops.photo.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

durhamdev

That looks good so far!  What type of wood are you using for the front spars?  If it's MDF, how are you planning on making them weatherproof?

flintsteel

I'm using MDF (only on the wall panel detail - backed with plywood) with 2 coats of exterior primer & 2 coats exterior topcoat. I'm hoping that should seal it enough for a colorado winter's worth? Planning on using some kinda' treated marine ply for the base, lightboxes & roof (with possible slight slope on the lightboxes). I'll test out my prototype door panel over the weekend as we're forecast for rain. Any thoughts/suggestions?

karsthotep

Well for one door its still beautiful :)   Looks nice but good idea having a largers NST build,  You shall further be known as the NST builder Gigantor :) 

Good luck with the build, if the rest goes as well as the one door its going to be beautiful. 

karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

durhamdev

Hmm.  You're in the same boat as I in regards to weather.  I'm up in Ontario, Canada, so if your idea survives well, I think I might go a similar route.  I don't have any recommendations per se, but I am very, very interested in hearing what happens out in your bad weather.  MDF is so nice and smooth, but my only concern is water getting under the paint, especially in the seams.  I'm considering going with plywood for the wall panel detail, but that's also depending upon how nicely I can cut the angles and sand for smoothness - that's actually one thing I like about the Matt Smith version, the colour of the grain.  (Actually - I like it on the doors, but I don't like it on the roof.)

geminitimelord

I am jealous of those doors! Very well done! I have to admit that wood working is a huge challenge for me. I dont know if I just dont have the patience or the skill to get things exact.

If you are going to do a NST then I suggest tossing Glen's Build manual out the door. The measurements and techniques will give you an original Size TARDIS that looks like an NST.

Instead I would do some research on the different NST build threads on this forum and you should find your way.

Good Luck, glad to see another USA Build.

eddyc

Plywood Good!, MDF Bad!

One chip or scratch in the paint and the water WILL get in, the MDF will swell up and then turn to dust when it drys.

I suggest making the spars out of 1 x 3 and 1 x 6 pine or spruce and then get some 1 x 1 (the same thickness as your plywood) pine or spruce and cut some angled trim to finish around the door panels. That way when it is painted it will look like one piece and you get a great wood grain look!.

Are you planning on moving this around or will it be mounted in your back yard? The used will determine the type of construction you should use.

The one in my back yard was designed to come apart and be packed in a trailer to go to conventions. So the posts are hollow and light, the top comes apart and the lamp is removable.

post construction.JPG

flintsteel

Apr 30, 2010, 07:57 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010, 08:01 pm by flintsteel
Agreed, I still think there are some useful techniques in Glen's manual to pull from. I'm going off the attached dimensions (based off Bill Rudloff's plans). A fellow co-worker kindly lent me their table saw, which makes the 22 degree cuts a breeze. Still on the lookout for a 2005 NST corner post detail/construction method (not season 18 rounded corners as outlined in Glen's manual) Using MDF could well be my undoing...but it's so easy & cheap to work with.... at least I'm only using it on the spars.Tardis Project 2010.jpg

galacticprobe

Where did you get that magnificent shot of the entrance to the console room that so beautifully shows the ramp?

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

durhamdev

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 01, 2010, 06:06 am
Where did you get that magnificent shot of the entrance to the console room that so beautifully shows the ramp?

Dino

Translation: Can we all have it?

;D

On a serious note, I'd kill for a shot into the Tom Baker Tardis.  Perhaps Crispin can just take a shot of his control room...

Avadh

You have got to a great start and very well done. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

flintsteel

...that would be a little of my photoshop trickery. It's a work-in-progress "tromploi" (french for "fool the eye") that I'm hoping to have printed on vinyl wallpaper for the rear wall. It's actually a montage of photos with the ramp and rails rendered in such a way that when you open the door the vanishing point / perspective appears accurate. I'd be happy to share once it's finished... currently the only high resolution elements are the console, rotor, ramp & rails. I need to locate a crisper photo / render of the surrounding interior as it will look fuzzy & pixelated currently when printed at scale.

geminitimelord

Quote from: flintsteel on May 01, 2010, 02:51 pm
...that would be a little of my photoshop trickery. It's a work-in-progress "tromploi" (french for "fool the eye") that I'm hoping to have printed on vinyl wallpaper for the rear wall. It's actually a montage of photos with the ramp and rails rendered in such a way that when you open the door the vanishing point / perspective appears accurate. I'd be happy to share once it's finished... currently the only high resolution elements are the console, rotor, ramp & rails. I need to locate a crisper photo / render of the surrounding interior as it will look fuzzy & pixelated currently when printed at scale.

When and IF you get that done it would be very nice to share. I would love to take a very hi Res photo to Kinkos and print a banner or some transparent plastic display to go in the TARDIS and create that effect.

Would be even better if someone had a TOM BAKER console :) But I wouldt be picky if i Had just one.

flintsteel

OK, so after inspecting Justin's build I'm beginning to extrapolate the NST corner post construction detail (can't help myself...I'm an architect/designer by day) so here's where I'm at so far... 2x4 and a trimmed 2x6 with 1/4" exterior veneer and 3/4" interior door/wall jambs. And on a side note after weighing the pros & cons, I've decided to scrap the mdf spars & go with 3/4" pine... I fear the colorado winters will be  too much for her.CornerPost Detail.jpg

flintsteel

I should have this built in no time now that this arrived special delivery today...photo-1.jpg